Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Q about the four star rally cross (Read 7573 times)
87Audi
YaBB Newbies

Q about the four star rally cross
08/07/6 at 21:58:09

ok, I just wanted to get a few things sorted out, my first question is, I have a car though it has some damage in the front end as in the lights are busted out and the bumper pushed in  bit, my question is, can this car still be run?

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Re: Q about the four star rally cross
Reply #1 - 08/07/6 at 22:55:31

Man, that's like a new car in Mexico. (My guess is yes, but keep it off the highway).

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
87Audi
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 08/07/6 at 23:00:39

actually, its not as bad as I make it out to be, i do drive it daily, nothing mechaical is damaged,  its mostly cosmetic damage.

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #3 - 08/07/6 at 23:03:09

I wouldn't see why not... as long as the car is mechanically sound.  Heck, my fox wasn't certified or plated last year... I towed it up and ran it.

IP Logged
87Audi
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 08/07/6 at 23:13:32

awsome which bring me to my next question, where can I get a helmet from? Since Im really, really new at this. Als0 whats the average age of competetors cause Im only 19.

btw: the car im bringing is a farily rare Audi, V8 quattro.

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #5 - 08/08/6 at 06:24:36

87Audi wrote on 08/07/6 at 23:13:32:
awsome which bring me to my next question, where can I get a helmet from? Since Im really, really new at this. Als0 whats the average age of competetors cause Im only 19.

As long it's just cosmetic damage, then it should be fine.  Myself, and others have run ice racers at these events before.  They're no better.

I don't think there is an average age for competitors.  You'll find people in their teens, all the way up to about 50 or so.  Fairly evenly spread out too.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #6 - 08/08/6 at 16:44:33

87Audi wrote on 08/07/6 at 23:13:32:

Hehehe... awesome!  I may just be bringing out the 90q if I can get it back together in time.  Still needs paint... and an interior... and the engine fired up (has now been sitting for 9 months in the garage)... and finish the brake line plumbing...

lots left to do... atleast the skidplates are done, new glass is in, big chunk of wiring has been eliminated, and it's back to a rolling state.  Just what the car needs... a rallycross to break it in, just so I can tear it all apart again to tackle the timing belt and water pump.  

Does your V8 have the Torsen rear diff, or is it lockable?

IP Logged
87Audi
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 08/08/6 at 23:56:47

the v8 has a torsen diff, not as good as lockable but what can you do! if you are in the GTA, let me know I can come by and help you put it back together. Your 90Q is it a inlne 5 or a 2.8 v6?

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #8 - 08/09/6 at 08:41:23

Nope... not the GTA... I'm actually out in rally country... 30 min east of Peterborough... close to bancroft!  hehehe

The 90q is a 10v inline 5... no fancy turbo.

IP Logged
deim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 08/09/6 at 11:16:00

Hi guys!

I'm complete newbi in rallycross. Actually, never even tried, but want to try very much!

Have couple questions. First of all - about car. It was said that no modifications or special car preparations are required.  Do I really not need anything? And I read that a lot of people have special cars to compete. Does it mean, that if I'll bring my regular car - I'm risking to do something not very pleasant with it? Smiley I have completely stock WRX, the only additions are front skidplate, rear diff protector and some simple mudflaps.

And secondly - about helmet. I don't have one, and $250-$300 just to try something that I don't know - will I like it or not - looks kind of expensive Smiley Do I have any options besides of buying it?

Thank you!

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #10 - 08/09/6 at 12:24:49

The skidplate is the only thing that I would recommend. It's not required under the rules, but it gives you piece-of-mind. The next most likely thing you'll damage is your tires and rims, so bringing a second set of mounted tires to run on is a good idea. Knobby winter tires or used competition rally tires are best, but even used all-seasons would work. 

As far as helmets go there are always a few you can borrow. If you decide you want to compete more often you can buy a helmet. They range from cheap Snell 95 M (motocycle) helmets to top-of-the-line rally competition helmets.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
deim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 08/09/6 at 15:07:55

Thanks, Norman! Looks like I'll be Ok - don't care much about my tires - it is last summer for them anyway. Rims, well, hopefully, they'll survive Wink

Looks like there is a good shop around - Cycle World in Etobicoke, will check today what they have in stock for some simple motorcycle helmet, otherwise will try to borrow from somebody at the event.

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #12 - 08/09/6 at 16:21:21

Be sure to double check that the helmet carries the Snell rating... don't just take the word of the sales person.

As for rims/tires... the issue you may have is gravel in the bead.  You will find it is very hard to drive home with gravel in the bead of your tire, leaking air.  So if you've got a second set of rims/tires, bring them!

IP Logged
deim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 08/09/6 at 17:53:01

Went to CycleWorld, and bought HJC CS-5 helmet (open 3/4) - Snell M2005 rating. I guess - should be fine, considering that M99 is allowed? Smiley $69 on sale - not bad! Smiley

Thanks for an advice with second set of wheels - I'll bring my winters just in case.

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #14 - 08/09/6 at 19:40:08

If you've got an M2005 helmet, a skidplate, and a set of tires you don't care about.  Then you're just as well prepared as everyone else.  You shouldn't have anything to worry about.  
All you've got to do now, is come out and have fun!

Wow that's cheap, I wish I'd known you could get M-rated helmets for that cheap back when I first started out.  I would have saved myself almost $200!

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print