Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New car for TSD rallies (Read 3522 times)
sadd3j
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New car for TSD rallies
09/12/6 at 11:17:49

Hello all,

Been interested in rally a long time and now finally want to try some of the beginner navigational rallys around ontario.. so I had a question..

For some of the TSD rallys which are on paved and/or non-paved roads.. am I crazy for wanting to enter with my brand new ride?

I guess I'm wondering if any, how much damage, flying rocks, gravel etc. I should expect going into some of these events.. should I kiss my paint goodbye?

Also I find that even in all the navi-rally photos everyones running subies and the like..  Would I be crazy driving a fwd GTI in lets say.. a winter road rally? (somewhere in the future of course) Or am I good to go with a dedicated set of good winter tires?

thanks!
hope to start meeting some folks out there Smiley

IP Logged
uglydogrally

Ugly Dog Rallysport

Ottawa
Re: New car for TSD rallies
Reply #1 - 09/12/6 at 12:44:18

You ain't crazy. TSD's are easy on the car (unless you run events in Quebec) Alot of those soobie guys cars are new. I run RWD Ranger, some people think I'm crazy for that.

If you are worried about paint, some mudflaps wouldn't hurt, Red Sparco flaps look cool and do the trick, for a cheaper option try some big truck flaps from CT.

Skid plate wouldn't hurt, you never know when a big rock is going to jump up at your oil pan. Most navigationals you dont need one.

If you are going to run some night drivexes, get some rallye lights. Hellas are most popular, PIAA's are good, but costly, CT ones are junk. If you want cheap ones, check out Princess Auto, but remember, you get what you pay for.

Down the road start looking into computers, map lights, and a navigator who can get you there on time and stay on route. (but those cost bigger money!!)

Volunteer at an event or two, check out peoples rides and talk it up with everyone. Hope that helps.

Matt W. - MCO
mattw482   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #2 - 09/12/6 at 14:50:36

If your car is low, the skidplate issue is significant. Since you mentioned a GTI, I think all newer VW's have cast aluminum oil pans, so they break real easy.

Good winter tires are a must!!!

Not everyone that enters winter rallies drives a Subaru, It just seems that way.

Like anything else if you are going to play at the sharp end (running in the top 10) you are going to have to be well prepared.

The other option is to buy a winter beater and drive that. Remember there is a competitor that routinely runs in the top 5 with an 85 Tercel (FWD). It is about driving on time and on course.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
miskis
YaBB Newbies

Newbie Co-driver
looking for
expereience

Reply #3 - 09/12/6 at 15:27:31

Ya, we had a subaru at the mini rally last night and we finished last.  So its not always about the car, it mainly depends on Driver-Navi co-ordination.  This is speaking from last nights expereience, but its always a learning expereience.

Co-driver looking for a ride for next year
Anyone interested?
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #4 - 09/12/6 at 19:01:11

Just to somewhat summarize: to start in a mini-rally, raliette, or regular day ORRC event, you can use your daily vehicle with no more fears than going to work: if you're a crazy driver, you might do a crazy thing, on a rally just like in regular driving; but if you're a normal driver, there's no need or requirement to do anything extraordinary for the first few events at least.

You can come and test the waters equipped only with curiosity and sanity (but do read up a bit on navigation and rules unless you enjoy being lost for hours Wink ); after you try a few regular rallies, meet some folks and decide to get serious about it, you can discuss some options and priorities with us. The overnight winter drivexes are definitely not for the unprepared (in terms of vehicle, skills & attitude), and most organizers won't allow inexperienced people anyway (I think Lanark, which is still on gravel, requires three TSDs under your belt; not sure how Ontario Winter Rally works).

FWD GTI is certainly no crazier of a vehicle than a RWD pickup truck, or a family minivan, for most TSDs. And Ontario Winter Rally, one of the more challenging winter drivexes, keeps being won by this pesky guy in a 1984 Toyota Tercel. Station Wagon....
So come on out and have some fun Smiley

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
sadd3j
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 09/13/6 at 13:42:23

Thanks for the replies,

Sounds good  Grin

Hope to meet some of you on Oct. 2!

IP Logged
unggthat
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 09/15/6 at 10:39:34

I've run my 1986 Volvo 240 in three OWRs, two Lanarks and a bunch of rallycrosses with no skidplate.  However, the oilpan is way back away from the front death zone, unlike a VW GTI.  I now have a skidplate.  

For navexes, no worries at all.  For drivexes and rallyX, be smart and don't drive beyond your abilities.  Get the right tires for the conditions and a skidplate and give 'er.  Just get a little experience first.  Drivexes are where you get to really have fun. Grin

Nate

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print