Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
RSO & BILL C19 - STREET RACING (Read 22023 times)
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

RSO & BILL C19 - STREET RACING
10/13/6 at 12:22:27

RallySport Ontario and BILL C19 (Street Racing)
                                                                                                                  October 13, 2006

Bill C19 is a bill currently in process in Parliament.  As a very simple statement to summarize it,  it proposes to criminalize street racing.  In the Bill the definition of street-racing is very wide-ranging and open to interpretation.  At its best this bill  is not intended to include organized, sanctioned motorsport and would not affect us; at its worst it could be interpreted to include all rally activities, including navigational rallying, solo etc.

RallySport Ontario is clearly against street-racing. In fact we are actively involved in activities to denounce it and to promote safe and responsible motorsport activities, however this bill as written could put rally in jeopardy.

Months ago several RSO members urged CARS & RSO to take direct action about this piece of legislation, each offering their time and expertise to the cause.  RSO discussed the issue, determined as a Board that indeed we felt official action was warranted and asked Alasdair Robertson, who has considerable experience and expertise in politics and parliamentary procedures, to head a committee.  The CARS Board later did the same.

Alasdair and his group have been vigorously pursuing this project.  Amongst many other resources, they have requested the assistance of the Organizers of the National rallies,  Targa and CARS Board members in approaching appropriate contacts across the country.  This has produced some highly positive contacts,  including a direct personal conversation with the Minister of Justice.

Alasdair was granted a meeting with the Deputy Chair of the Justice Committee, who reviewed the proposed legislation with him line by line.  In addition Alasdair has written to various other members of the Justice Committee and will be contacting each in person. To date all contacts have been receptive and positive.

In order for our efforts to yield the best results,  we feel it is essential to support the group in every way possible and to direct all efforts through Alasdair.  We believe it is best for him to be our only official spokesperson in Ottawa.

As for the legislative process, Bill C19 has just been through its second reading.  Following that it will go to committee for fine-tuning and further consideration. It is of interest to note that in the debate in the house at the time of the second reading, the Liberal Justice Critic mentioned rally specifically and the Deputy Chair of the Justice Committee also mentioned rally plus other organized motorsport.  Clearly our message is being heard.

At the most recent RSO meeting,  Maple Leaf Rally Club announced that it will not be running the Ontario Winter Rally as a drivex event in 2007.  The MLRC representative added that although statistics do not support the allegation,  there is no doubt that the general perception exists that drivexes present a higher risk than other navigational road rallies.  While the Bill C19 process is ongoing, MLRC feels that it wishes to back Alasdair and his committee in every way possible and thus decided to eliminate the possibility of its drivex event harming the cause.

RSO then decided to further demonstrate its support by determining that it will not accept any drivex events in the 2007 ORRC Championship.  Furthermore RSO is urging all RSO clubs to suspend drivexes for 2007.

RSO will keep all its members and clubs posted of further developments.

Ross Wood, RSO Secretary

IP Logged
Ferdinand

Re: RSO & BILL C19 - STREET RACING
Reply #1 - 10/13/6 at 15:48:21

Read all about it on the website of the Parliament of Canada at this link.

From that link, you can read the Hansard text of member's speeches in the House.  Click on the links, then use your browser to search for any mention of "rally", or even "road rally".

WWW   IP Logged
1morelap
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 10/17/6 at 09:05:11

It would have been easier to take if you waited till after the two biggest events in MCO rally calendar. Now the Golden Pine is cancelled because you're to inconsiderate to look at a calendar.

wow, thanks.

cheers. Greg van Dalen.

-Greg, www.mco.org
WWW   IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 10/17/6 at 10:06:07

Greg,

I'm afraid that is a very simplistic comment, clearly made without knowing all the facts.

I will try to post a detailed response today to clarify this.  It is a complex issue.

Ross

IP Logged
Doug_Woods
YaBB Newbies

Quebec
Reply #4 - 10/17/6 at 10:06:36

1morelap wrote on 10/17/6 at 09:05:11:
Now the Golden Pine is cancelled because you're to inconsiderate to look at a calendar.

Perhaps, they did look at a calendar.

Doug Woods

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #5 - 10/17/6 at 10:22:13

RSO's decision doesn't stop clubs from running drivex events... they simply CAN'T do that... that is up to the clubs.  RSO can however chose to not have drivex events on the ORRC schedule (which Golden Pines wasn't anyways), and can recommend to member clubs that they do not host drivex events for the time being.

The decision to cancel GP can't have been easy for the organizers... however, it wasn't RSO's decision (although possibly their recommendation).  

Don't lash out at the rally community... if you want your voice heard, write a letter to your member of parliment!  We're all disheartened by this turn of events... I know I was really looking forward to GP.  Just means I have to find something else to do that weekend... with all the rallying, it's been a few years since I've been out to a halloween party!

IP Logged
1morelap
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 10/17/6 at 12:20:48

Yah, my emotions are out a wack, I know I'm barking at the wrong tree without any facts, I just feel kinda hopeless. I really do wish Alasdair and his crew all the best in their efforts.

-Greg, www.mco.org
WWW   IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #7 - 10/17/6 at 13:43:20

It's better to sacrifice a season then to have the sport completely outlawed.

WWW   IP Logged
1morelap
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 10/17/6 at 14:06:26

It will be 2 years until the next Golden pine, that's distressing.  

I guess the part I don't understand, and it's clear I'm the only one, is how suspending all Drivex's will aid the Alasdair group?  I hate being this "guy", but I need more info to understand.

-Greg, www.mco.org
WWW   IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 10/17/6 at 14:33:41

I wrote this posting specifically in response to concerns expressed on the MCO site,  but I think it is worthwhile posting here as well.

I would like to make a few comments re Bill C19 and the recent events related to it that may shed some light for people.

First of all this bill is a piece of federal legislation.  Thus it has implications for motorsport in all provinces.  It proposes to criminalize racing on a public property. The interpretation of what is racing is very wide-ranging and not specified clearly. That has potential implications to many levels of motorsport from rally to solo to rallycross to ice racing.  While it was not likely ever intended to affect sanctioned motorsport,  as written it could have huge impact on all of us.  Thus it is essential for us all to fully support the committee under Alasdair Robertson that has already been working very hard.  They have  made significant progress.  To best support them all efforts should be directed through Alasdair. He has already been in contact with CARS Directors,  plus various clubs and Organizers and will indicate where other assistance is required.  It is best to keep the effort focused.

The decisions and recommendations do not just involve MLRC, MCO, Targa and RSO.  As of the CARS Board meeting last night, each CARS Director across the country is considering action at this point.

No one is a stronger supporter of drivexes than I am.  I first organized the Ontario Winter Rally in 1985 and have put it on every year since.  Many times in the past I have defended the record of drivexes and will continue to do so.  However in recent times an increasing number of messages have been directed my way from many in the rally community expressing their concern over safety issues with drivexes.  There is no denying that, rightly or wrongly,  the general perception is that the drivex events are the highest risk events that we put on.  And you know what they say about perception being the reality we must deal with.

Since I first heard of Bill C19 and we formed the committee to represent us, I have been asking myself how best I can support them.  I did not want my event in any way to harm the cause,  so recently I decided to put the OWR on hold until this legislative process is complete.  Upon presenting that news to the RSO Board,  they decided to further support this initiative by not accepting any drivexes in the ORRC Calendar for 2007 and have recommended that clubs think seriously about drivex club events in 2007.  RSO did not ask MCO to change plans for their Lanark Highlands or Golden Pines events, as the majority of the work had been done,  competitors had made plans and the legislation was not expected to move forward until the new year.

However apparently it was fast-tracked.  The second reading has already occurred and it has now gone to committee.  It is now that it will be examined in detail.  It is now that our message will be considered.  Our committee was fully aware and supportive of the path taken by MLRC and RSO.  You can debate strategy all you like;  this is the direction taken in our best judgement, the committee supports this strategy and that is that.

As for the timing of the RSO announcement,  it wouldn’t matter when it was presented,  some would not have been happy.  There was no ideal time.  The legislative process mostly determined our moves.  RSO felt it was essential to present the message as soon as possible and certainly in time for RSO clubs to plan appropriately for the upcoming Calendar Meeting.

I wish to express my sympathy to Craig and Ferdinand and apologize if they found the timing of events put them in a difficult situation.  Both of them considered their options very carefully.  Both made difficult decisions based on their best judgement.  We have all done the same. What more can you ask?

So I wish to emphasize, please do not go off in all different directions.  That will only present us as a fragmented group without a focus.  Please work through your club leaders and Alasdair for the best effect.

Ross Wood

IP Logged
1morelap
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 10/17/6 at 14:39:04

Thanks Ross, That helps.  Smiley

-Greg, www.mco.org
WWW   IP Logged
1morelap
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 10/31/6 at 21:51:01

well that was weird,  someone posted a thread with an enthusiastic response to the SMCC drivex scheduled for 2007. However it has been deleted. Was this a mistake? With all due respect that's not a great way to work with other clubs in examining the issue of Drivexs in 2007.

I'll ask my question here then.

What other clubs/organizations in Canada are urging the suspension of Drivexs in 2007?

thanks, greg.

-Greg, www.mco.org
WWW   IP Logged
Peter_Watt
YaBB Newbies

Peterborough, Ontario
Reply #12 - 10/31/6 at 22:12:23

Always a tough decision.  Having organized a couple of events, I'm cloudy as to when an event becomes a "drivex".    While it would be a great disappointment to many, has the powers that be considered suspending all events until this is settled?

I wonder how the police would view a navigational rallyist who made a navigational error and was running at 120 kph to make up time?  I know I have done that and I suspect most others have as well.  If the key is not to get lost, why would organizers try to trick us?

I suspect RSO & CARS does have the power in that it could refuse to sanction any event, whether championship or not simply through edict and that would in effect cancel the insurance policy.

One would hope that wouldn't happen, but is that something that should be considered?

I'd also suggest moving discussion such as this to the official RSO forum where it could receive wider viewing.

Peter Watt
  IP Logged
1morelap
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 11/08/6 at 18:39:53

hey hey,  looks like its moving forward quickly.. Smiley

http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5970

-Greg, www.mco.org
WWW   IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 11/09/6 at 00:27:08

Indeed  Bill C19 was fast-tracked through the House of Commons and is now being considered by the Senate.  Alasdair Robertson and his committee are very busy contacting Senators to represent our interests.

Clearly there have been some positive results of their efforts, judging by comments raised by Senators.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print