Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
RSO & BILL C19 - STREET RACING (Read 22037 times)
Ferdinand

Re: RSO & BILL C19 - STREET RACING
Reply #30 - 12/15/6 at 11:56:42

Evidently our Government did not wish to delay the implementation of this legislation.  Had the Senate Committee recommended any amendments to the Bill, the entire package would need to be sent back to the House of Commons to be debated there again.  The Bill could then have been revised, defeated altogether, or approved by the House.  If approved with the recommended changes it would then come back through the Senate again, before ultimately being signed by the Governor General and given Royal Assent to pass into law.

That whole process could have been fastracked again, as it was before.  Or the Bill might have stalled in the House, or been wiped out entirely if the Government is defeated and another election is forced on us before the Bill is approved.

Instead, the Government hustled this Bill, and three others, as quickly as possible through the system so that they could be gift-wrapped and presented to the Canadian public as Christmas gifts.  The Senate and the House of Commons then adjourned and won't return until the end of January.

However, all is not lost.

When the Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs reported their conclusions back to the full Senate, in order to avoid delaying this Bill which everyone otherwise unanimously approves, they approved the Bill without amendment.  However they took an additional and highly unusual step.

To ensure that their recommendations are enshrined in the Senate Hansard records, this statement was read into the record:

Quote:
"Bill C-19 would not include legitimate motor sport activities. It will not criminalize races that occur on closed tracks, circuits or streets closed to the public, or to rallies sanctioned by recognized motor sport authorities and conducted in accordance with the law."

You can read the full record here.

While this is not nearly as good as having it written clearly into the Criminal Code, it's pretty much almost as good.

Merry Christmas!

WWW   IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #31 - 12/22/6 at 10:00:48

The following is Alasdair Robertson's summary of what happened with Bill C19.  As Chair of the CARS Committee that dealt with Bill C19,  Alasdair's report represents the most inside and accurate view possible.

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to touch base with all of you about where we now are with C-19,
but I didn't want to do so until things had settled a little and we had
more of the final documentation. As you all know by now, C-19 passed
without amendment but with significant observations attached by the
Senators during final passage. The bill has since received royal assent
and is now the law of the land. Presently it will be gazetted to all
Crown Attorneys for their information and use. It is already on the
Justice Department's website. What does not appear there are the notes
which accompany the printed form supplied to the CAs. We are currently
trying to get a copy of this document.

If you did not hear the Minister's remarks to the Committee last
Wednesday, or those made on behalf of motor sport last Thursday and the
subsequent deliberations of the Senators, I want in particular to
highlight some important things:

1. The Minister made a specific statement about legitimate motor sports
including rally. He specifically mentioned Targa Newfoundland as an
example of what they do not intend to legislate via C-19.

2. The Senators, in their observations attached to the bill,
specifically make the same point about legitimate sanctioned motor sport
and quote the Minister to that effect.

3. The Senators also specifically asked (more of an instruction in
Parliamentary terms) that the Justice Department monitor the
implementation of the Bill to assure that it does not impact legitimate
sanctioned motor sports.

4. The Senators on the committee also explicitly discussed what form
this monitoring should take. They did this "on the record" rather than
"in camera." (I've seen the minutes in draft form. Presently they will
be published as well.)

5. The Minister has since issued a press release (see attached) in which
he again states that legitimate motor sports are not the target of C-19.

What does all this mean? In my view, this means we have succeeded well
beyond what we might easily have expected when we began this process. It
is never easy to get a government to clarify its policies on a piece of
legislation once the bill has had first reading. It is even harder if
that bill has been fast-tracked with the agreement of the other parties.
While I would ideally have liked an amendment to C-19, we should feel
very pleased, and more than a little lucky, to have had the kind of
success that we did. We are a legal activity, subject of course to our
own continued good behaviour.

Our success with C-19 could not have happened without a great deal of
effort from several groups and individuals who need to be acknowledged.
First I want to mention the particular support of three of our board
members. Suzanne, Ray, and Clark were towers of strength. Each of them
in their own way played important roles with research, contact building,
and freeing up help from within their regions. We had similar support
through Ross and the organizer's committee. In particular, each of the
Quebec organizers was quick to respond when we expected to appear before
the House committee and offer local information about their Members of
Parliament and to share their contacts. I also want to mention
individual members of our sport who really came through for us, Craig
Hamm and others, especially Terry Dale, at MCO were super. Rich Hepburn
offered us the full support of Rally of the Tall Pines as the closest
rally, Jeff Hagen did research and was quick to help out as were Elise
Racette and Luc Brunette. Andrew Comrie-Picard was a huge help as we
formulated messaging and arguments. Finally, from within rally sport, we
owe a huge debt to Robert Giannou and Don Peckham. Don got us on the
radar with the Minister back in August, and Robert made a very effective
presentation last Thursday. In between they both did anything which was
asked to support the process. We are also in the debt of our friends
within the other motor sports disciplines. CASC-OR, in the person of
Scott Ellsworth, and Charlie Johnstone and John Clagett from the Champ
Car World Series stood up to be counted on this issue when they could
have left us to go it alone. Anything we achieved last week owes a great
deal to the legitimacy and weight they brought to the testimony before
the Senate Committee.

When you have the opportunity, I would recommend that each of you
examine the testimony before the committee, and in particular the
questions raised by the Senators about what steps we take to assure we
are behaving responsibly, and what expectations we place on those who
take part. It highlights, I think, a whole range of issues for us to
address as we go forward in the post C-19 era. This is, however, a
subject for another time.

Best regards,

Alasdair

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #32 - 12/22/6 at 10:03:27

The following is the exact text of the comments from the Senate re Bill C19

Criminal Code
Bill to Amend—Report of Committee
Leave having been given to revert to Presentation of Reports from Standing or Special Committees:
Hon. Donald H. Oliver, Chair of the Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs, presented the following report:
Thursday, December 14, 2006
The Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs has the honour to present its
NINTH REPORT
Your Committee, to which was referred Bill C-19, An Act to amend the Criminal Code (street racing) and to make a consequential amendment to the Corrections and Conditional Release Act, has, in obedience to the Order of Reference of Tuesday, November 21, 2006, examined the said Bill and now reports the same without amendment.
Your Committee appends to this report certain observations relating to the Bill.
Respectfully submitted,
DONALD H. OLIVER
Chair
Observations to the Ninth Report of the Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs
Your Committee is in favour of addressing directly the problem of street racing in Canada. It has, therefore, approved Bill C-19 without amendment. We do, however, have some concerns with how the bill may be implemented.
We understand that the bill does not apply to races organized by a recognized sanctioning body and subject to all applicable laws. The Minister of Justice told the Committee "Bill C-19 would not include legitimate motor sport activities. It will not criminalize races that occur on closed tracks, circuits, or streets closed to the public, or to rallies sanctioned by recognized motor sport authorities and conducted in accordance with the law." The Minister cited the Targa Newfoundland race as an example of what would not be included in Bill C-19.
Your Committee therefore requests the Department of Justice to monitor the implementation of Bill C-19 to ensure that it is not used to criminalize currently legal, sanctioned racing. We request that a copy of these observations be forwarded to the Department of Justice so that it may carry out this monitoring function.
Third Reading
The Hon. the Speaker: When shall this bill be read the third time?
Hon. Donald H. Oliver: Honourable senators, with leave of the Senate and notwithstanding rule 58(1)(b), I move that the bill be read for the third time now.
The Hon. the Speaker: Is leave granted, honourable senators?
Hon. Senators: Agreed.
The Hon. the Speaker: Is it your pleasure, honourable senator, to adopt the motion?
Hon. Serge Joyal: Honourable senators, I will be very brief. I would like to inform all the senators in attendance in this chamber of the substance of the observations that we are appending to the report of the committee that reports this bill with no amendments. I would like to read the observations into our journals because they have, in my opinion, legal implications for the Crown prosecutor who will be responsible for the implementation of this bill.
Your Committee is in favour of addressing directly the problem of street racing in Canada. It has, therefore, approved Bill C-19 without amendment. We do, however, have some concerns with how the bill may be implemented.
We understand that the bill does not apply to races organized by a recognized sanctioning body and subject to all applicable laws. The Minister of Justice told the committee "Bill C-19 would not include legitimate motor sport activities. It will not criminalize races that occur on closed tracks, circuits or streets closed to the public, or to rallies sanctioned by recognized motor sport authorities and conducted in accordance with the law." The justice minister cited the Targa Newfoundland race as an example of what would not be included in Bill C-19.
Your Committee therefore requests the Department of Justice to monitor the implementation of Bill C-19 to ensure that it is not used to criminalize currently legal, sanctioned racing. We request that a copy of these observations be forwarded to the Department of Justice so that it may carry out this monitoring function.
It is, honourable senators, with that in mind that we recommend to this chamber that the bill be not amended but adopted, as introduced at second reading and as reported by the Honourable Senator Donald Oliver.
The Hon. the Speaker: Is it your pleasure, honourable senators, to adopt the motion?
Motion agreed to and bill read third time and passed.
(1540)
[Translation]
Adjournment
Motion Adopted

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #33 - 12/22/6 at 10:06:16

The following is the government's press release following the passage of Bill C19.

STREET RACING BILL BECOMES LAW
OTTAWA, December 15, 2006 – The Honourable Vic Toews, Q.C., Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, today welcomed the Royal Assent and coming into force of Bill C-19, which will help protect Canada's streets and communities from the threat of street racing.
"People who disregard the safety of our streets must be met with serious consequences," said Minister Toews, "Bill C-19 amends the Criminal Code to create targeted, new offences to specifically combat street racing. This, activity is causing too many tragic and senseless fatalities on Canada's roadways."
These new offences build upon existing Criminal Code offences and provide enhanced maximum penalties of incarceration for the most serous street racing offences. Bill C-19 also creates mandatory minimum periods of driving prohibition for those convicted of street racing. "This is the type of penalty Canadians expect for those who abuse the privilege of operating a motor vehicle and put the lives of innocent people at risk," said Minister Toews.
The length of the driving prohibitions will increase for repeat offenders. In the most serious cases involving repeat street racing offenders, Bill C-19 provides for a mandatory lifetime driving prohibition. This would occur when an offender has at least two street racing convictions which have caused bodily harm or death and at least one of those convictions involves street racing causing death.
"Legitimate motor-sport activities will not be criminalized by Bill C-19," stated Minister Toews. "Races that occur on closed tracks, circuits, streets closed to the public or rallies that are sanctioned by recognised motor sport authorities and conducted in accordance with the law will not be affected by these amendments."
For an online version of the legislation, visit www.parl.gc.ca.
- 30 -
Ref.:
Mark Quinlan
Press Secretary
Office of the Minister of Justice
613-992-4621
Media Relations
Department of Justice
613-957-4207

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #34 - 12/22/6 at 11:25:55

Hmm... ya... still makes me nervous... at what point can they argue that an event is no longer within the law due to 'careless driving'... you don't have to be speeding to be found guilty of careless driving.

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #35 - 12/22/6 at 18:50:21

dtompsett wrote on 12/22/6 at 11:25:55:
Hmm... ya... still makes me nervous... at what point can they argue that an event is no longer within the law due to 'careless driving'... you don't have to be speeding to be found guilty of careless driving.

Dude, careless driving is never within the law (and never has been), whether it's during an event or not.
If you're entered in any type of road rally, and you can be charged with careless driving, no differently than any other time.

I really like the final statement in their official press release.  Firstly, that means the witnesses who spoke to the senate on our behalf did a great job, and made a big impact.  We all owe a huge thanks to Alasdair, et all.  Secondly, it's now been made completely public that rallies, are not the targets of this law.

So it seems to me (other than the government now being far more aware of us than ever before), nothing has really changed for us.
If you are participating in an event, and are caught speeding, or reckless driving, or whatever, you can certainly be charged with any of those offences.  However, even though you are participating in a "timed event", it is NOT classified as street racing.
Which, of couse, is a VERY good thing.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #36 - 12/22/6 at 19:42:50

Quote:
Dude, careless driving is never within the law (and never has been), whether it's during an event or not.
If you're entered in any type of road rally, and you can be charged with careless driving, no differently than any other time.

I was not trying to imply that I should be allowed to get away with driving with a lack of due diligence just because I'm part of an open-road rally.  We all need to know drive within our limits, within the limits of the road, and within the limits of those around us.  Just because your car can handle taking a corner at 120km/h, and your skill level can handle taking a corner at 120km/h, doesn't mean you're allowed to ignore the 80km/h speedlimit.  

Simple fact is, if you get pulled over during a rally, there's a pretty good chance you're getting pulled over for a valid reason.  You're right, that hasn't changed, and we shouldn't expect it to... we are still on public roads, have to obey the laws.  

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #37 - 01/05/7 at 16:44:51

This posting is to bring people up to speed on what is happening following Bill C19 and to assure everyone that appropriate action is underway.

Alasdair Robertson made a very detailed report to the CARS Board last night about Bill C19.  It included not only the facts of what happened,  but also his observations about the situation that leaves us in and recommendations for future action.  Probably the most significant statement he made was, " We are at the beginning of this issue, not the end."  He sees potential major implications to follow, both politically and in practice.  He sees it as affecting all levels of rally.

The next step is for each of the CARS Region Directors to take it to their Region Boards for discussion and action.

In the meantime things should carry on as normal with everyone (Organizers, Competitors etc) being certain that they are following all rally regulations and procedures very carefully.  Competitors are reminded that at all times they must never break any Highway Traffic Act Regulations while participating in any motorsport event.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print