Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
General Rally Questions (Read 4382 times)
Tommy_Thompson
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

General Rally Questions
11/20/6 at 23:01:27

Hey MLRC!

My name is Tommy, and I’m extremely interested in Solo, Solo II and most of all, Rally. My brother and I have always had to feed our need for speed and rally has always caught our eye. I’ve done a lot of reading, and I know what it takes in terms of volunteering and licensing, but I'm not completely sure what kind of budget I need in order to properly partake in this sport

I've seen some threads that recommended buying a pre-built rally car, but what type of budget would be realistic if I was to buy an older car, any 4WD model to give a wide example and turn it into a rally car. This budget also includes suits, helmets, tires and pretty much everything else I need. Also, what type of annual repairs/expenses could I expect?

I just want a general budget, nothing fancy.

Lastly, what type of insurance would I need for my rally car?

Thanks a ton MLFC

Sincerely,

Tommy Thompson

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Re: General Rally Questions
Reply #1 - 11/21/6 at 21:24:26

Hey Tommy, welcome aboard.

For insurance, basic third-party liability insurance is what's required.

You can find a decent pre-built car in the $5,000 to $10,000 range.  Check out www.specialstage.com or our own classifieds.  Cars pop up from time to time.

Building your own car is almost certainly going to cost more money.  The bits and pieces add up quickly - things like skid plates, odometer, intercom, etc. etc. all cost money.  Buying a second-hand car is definitely more cost-effective when you are starting out.  And try a 2wd or naturally aspirated 4wd car for your first ride, they're much cheaper to run.  The Volkswagen Golf and Subaru Impreza 2.5RS are great starter platforms.

Suits can be found for around $350 new or less for a second-hand suit.  Helmets start around the same price.

Event costs vary.  For a single-day event like Galway, you should budget for a set of tires, towing costs, fuel and entry fees.  Probably around $1000 to $1500 if you're buying brand new tires.  An event like Tall Pines will require a couple of nights in a hotel, food, and more gas and tires.

You'll have to also factor in a parts and wear-and-tear budget.

Hope this helps.

WWW   IP Logged
Tommy_Thompson
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 11/22/6 at 14:10:33

Hey Alan

Thanks for the quick response. Your information was very helpful. I'll be doing alot of research in the next couple months, I have to be certian I can budget this hobby before making any decisions.

Currently, I own a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit. Selling the car is an option but I need some form of transportation. With that said, at what point would a rally car become illegal to drive on roads?

Edit: Crazy thought, what if I was to setup my Pursuit as a rally car? Its a 2.2L Ecotec engine, 4-speed automatic and FWD. I would swap the transmition for a 5-speed manual or trade it in for same year standard.

What do you think guys?

Thanks again Alan

Sincerely,

Tommy Thompson

« Last Edit: 11/22/6 at 17:02:43 by Tommy_Thompson »  
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #3 - 11/22/6 at 16:12:22

Technically rally cars are street legal, but you don't want a car with a cage in it as a daily driver. Also you don't want to use your daily driver as a rally car in case it never makes it out of the woods.

What I would do is get a good tough car and set it up for daily-driving, solo and rallyX. Then you can start saving up money to buy a dedicated rally car when one becomes available.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - 11/22/6 at 22:30:37

I think you'd be better off using something else and keeping the Pursuit as a daily driver.

My suggestion is to get a cheap beater that could be used for rallycross and ice racing.  The car doesn't have to be licensed for either form of competition.  You can get a lot of seat time and have a ton of fun for not much cash.

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #5 - 11/22/6 at 22:40:23

As usual, I will recommend that you do the following:
1. volunteer at any type of rally, you'll learn a TON (or more) of stuff about what a rally really is.
2. be a helper person for a team at a performance rally ("service crew") so you find out what breaks, how it breaks, what works, what doesn't work, what it costs, etc
3. do some navigational rallies, it will actually help you, and you'll meet lots of rally people, CHEAP!!!  In Canada most road rally people work or compete at stage rallies.
4. Get the rulebook. Rally is a ton of rules. A ton!!!!  Not knowing the rules will cost you in many many ways. People lose rallies because they forgot a rule, even though they went real fast. So know the rules.
5. start off in a "cheap" FWD car. That's what pretty much all the guys in the big cars say. When you can't go any faster with it, move up.

Have fun and good luck.

Craig

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Tommy_Thompson
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 11/22/6 at 23:56:57

Hey!

I am planning on doing as much volunteer work possible. I had planned on vounteering at Tall Pines this weekend but it was really short notice for me. Ill probably start volunteering come January.

I'll be getting all the requirements for my rally lisence during my christmas break, and Ill be attending the club meeting Dec 12th. I'll also keep a sharp eye on a cheap FWD/4WD Car.

Dont hesitate to add any information that might be useful to me.

Again, thanks a ton for the help. See you December 12th!

Sincerely,

Tommy Thompson

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #7 - 11/23/6 at 00:55:36

C. Hamm wrote on 11/22/6 at 22:40:23:
5. start off in a "cheap" FWD car. That's what pretty much all the guys in the big cars say. When you can't go any faster with it, move up.

So Craig... how much longer till Frank can't drive that Swift any faster and he has to move up?   Grin   (You ever wonder if one day frank was browsing a rally forum, saw that, and said "Ohhh, I'm supposed to drive low powered cars to their limits first..." Evo goes into storage, and then came the Swift)

Tommy, like these guys are saying, go for an inexpensive 2wd/4wd car... a 2wd non-turbo car would be a great starting point.  Don't focus on making the car fast, focus on making it reliable.  You can't learn to push the limits of the car if you're constantly worried about it breaking  (also the reason your rally car is NEVER your daily driver!).  

I drive AWD cars... but I have a feeling that my first rally car is going to be 2wd, small, and light.  Maybe a little Mazda 323, or a Civic.  Of course... I may end up building something... which will probably be awd and turbo... helps when you have the collection of older audi's kicking around.

IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #8 - 11/23/6 at 15:21:53

The Sprongls are genuine Rally Gods.  Sure it takes big cojones to drive a fast car fast (like their monster Audi).  But what's really really impressive is watching them now, pedalling that little bumblebee Suzuki.

Too many people believe if I only had a bigger turbo, 4wd, more power, and maybe even some more power on top of that, even I could win a rally first time out.  But then you see what someone like Frank and Dan can do with that tiny underpowered 1-wheel-drive Swift, and you realise there's a whole lot more to it than mere power and traction.

Those guys are awesome!

If you start right off with a highly modded WRX STi and do well, people will just think it's all due to the car.  Any monkey could win with THAT car...

Start small.  If you don't win, you'll have the sympathy of everyone who realises you never had a chance anyway.  But once you do as well with a small car as the Sprongls, people will certainly notice you!

WWW   IP Logged
darryl

Reply #9 - 11/24/6 at 09:06:51

The Pursuit would make a good rally car.
It's basiclly the next generation of the Swift+ that the Sprongls are racing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print