Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Driving to PN... best route... (Read 3179 times)
dtompsett

Ontario
Driving to PN... best route...
01/30/7 at 17:41:39

Ok, leaving from the Peterborough area for Maniwaki on friday night.  Last year I was a passenger, and we drove hwy 7 through Ottawa, then 105 North.

This year I'm driving... Google Maps is telling me to head up through Refrew...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=norwood+ontario+to+maniwaki+quebec&sll=49...

Good route, bad route, much shorter, or will I end up winding through the backroads for a while?  (haven't Hwy 41 past Bon Echo... and I may avoid the side-trip up Flinton road).  Am I asking for trouble if there is bad weather?

Leaving in the evening... driving the tsd car... would actually prefer roads less travelled, allows me to use the big lights.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Driving to PN... best route...
Reply #1 - 01/30/7 at 17:55:15

Hmm, doesn't seem like that crazy a route. Try google mapping the route from North Bay to Maniwaki... Yes, that is the Kitigan Zibi stage that it tells you to take...

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 01/30/7 at 23:00:11

Doug,

I use Hwy. 7 quite regularly to to Ottawa from here.  It is defintely a better route in bad weather - very flat and very well maintained.

IP Logged
robin

5 right - sh*t, I
mean 3 right ...
over crest!

Reply #3 - 01/31/7 at 08:22:16

The Flinton area has some wicked roads - but I would avoid that little 'short-cut'.  The intersection at Kaladar isn't built up at all (just a Tim's on the NW cor.) - certainly quicker.  (I surveyed about the first 1/3 of your proposed route a couple of years ago...).  

Apart from that, the whole route to Renfrew is quite good.

I'll be going thru the Park on 60 and then joining your route at Portage-du-Fort.  301 is hilly in some places, but I towed over it in 'Smoky' in a snow storm one year - and made it  Cheesy

Robin

IP Logged
rallybob
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

ont.
Reply #4 - 02/04/7 at 14:05:00

Hi fellow or sister car nuts,

Besides Mapquest and Google, try Rand-Mcnally site.
I like it because in advance mode, you can do kms., and both distance to next instruction and accumulated distance.

Hope it is a good trip.

Bob

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #5 - 02/04/7 at 20:32:42

Route definitely worked... and is interesting enough.  Never time to get bored, lots of corners and hills.  The 301 was pretty much snow covered the entire way... everyone had been driving in the middle... couple hundred pounds of tools in the car makes it want to slide around a little more.  Definitely glad I swapped the good blizzaks on (had some older Hankook snows on)... driving briskly on friday night with 1" of packed snow on the road was a lot of fun.

That deer sure saw me coming... "just" missed me... turned in time and only caught my mirror.  He just missed the car infront of me, jumped out infront of me, and shifted enough to not go through my windshield.   Shocked

Oh... and I love the 90km/h zones in Quebec... no need to speed, thats the perfect speed!

IP Logged
robin

5 right - sh*t, I
mean 3 right ...
over crest!

Reply #6 - 02/05/7 at 07:54:32

Yeah I also saw some deer on 301 - far enough away not to worry though

I got a bit more worried about some wildlife spotters in Algonquin - 5 cars parked not quite on the shoulder, just over a hill - looking at a moose - oncoming car  Shocked

Robin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print