Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help - importing car from US (Read 5626 times)
colin23
YaBB Newbies

Help - importing car from US
02/23/7 at 16:40:07

I'm thinking about buying a rally car from the US.
Does anybody have previous experience with this?(regarding customs, etc....) or do you know a customs broker in the GTA that can help me.
Any info is appreciated.

Thank you!

IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Help - importing car from US
Reply #1 - 02/23/7 at 19:12:13

Before you commit to buy a US Rally car check with RSO Scrutineers. Some US Cars will not meet CARS/RSO cage requirements

I believe the CARS office has information about bringing in a Competition car as well

Pete g

Pete G
  IP Logged
Phil Jeffries
YaBB Moderator

'90 Talon TSi

Ontario
Reply #2 - 02/24/7 at 20:38:45

It's actually quite easy to bring a car over. Just make sure the specific vehicle is allowed to be improted. I know all post 96 subarus are no prob, but you didn't say what kind of car.

Go to www.riv.ca  All the info you need is there.

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #3 - 02/25/7 at 09:43:11

Do your research before buying the car.  I have heard that competition vehicles may pose challenges different from simply importing a road vehicle.  Though I have not looked into it myself, I recall people saying that there can sometimes be problems with the competition car being brought in from the U.S. because before they can be licensed, they must be made to pass the safety.  Some of the modifications made to a rally car may not fully conform to provincial regulations when you attempt to get your safety.  

I don't know this for sure.  But it's certainly reason to look into it first.

Good luck.

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #4 - 02/26/7 at 10:58:32

Phil Jeffries wrote on 02/24/7 at 20:38:45:
Just make sure the specific vehicle is allowed to be improted. I know all post 96 subarus are no prob, but you didn't say what kind of car.

Not so - IIRC, certain model years of the USDM Impreza RS will have problems crossing the border.  Something to do with the front bumper, I think.

In any case, the list on www.riv.ca is the official one.  Pay attention to age classifications, too - cars over a certain age have less stringent standards to meet for import.

And definitely talk to the scrutineers.  They're the ones who will be making the determination whether your new rally car can run here.  Their contact info is on the RSO web site.

Jeff

WWW   IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #5 - 02/26/7 at 13:21:44

Even if RIV says you can't bring it over and get it on the roads, there are still a few avenues that have been taken by people in the past... I know a fellow with a VW Golf R32 - there is a bit of tom-foolery involved, but its licenced and on the roads in Ontario.

Don't loose hope, especially if the cage/mods are permissible with CARS/RSO!

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
brynepp

Who said trucks
can't Rally?

Reply #6 - 02/26/7 at 23:16:46

There is a program through CARS with the Federal Government to help with importing Rally Cars.  If I remember my facts correctly.

Bryn

IP Logged
Phil Jeffries
YaBB Moderator

'90 Talon TSi

Ontario
Reply #7 - 02/26/7 at 23:31:58

Jeff_Hagan wrote on 02/26/7 at 10:58:32:
Not so - IIRC, certain model years of the USDM Impreza RS will have problems crossing the border.  Something to do with the front bumper, I think.

You will NOT have problems bringing it over the border, however you WILL need to change the bumper to a Canadian style one to pass the inspection. We're both right  Wink

When you bring the car over they will ask if the car is a competition vehicle. For the love of God, say NO!!! If you say yes, they assume it's a closed course car and you'll have a bastard of a time getting it titled so you can plate it and use it as a rally car.

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 02/27/7 at 00:05:54

One of the key things to note about importing a U.S. car into Canada is that you must present the bill of sale and vehicle title to the U.S. Customs at the border crossing you plan to use a minimum of 72 hours prior to bringing the car across.

IP Logged
hudsonDIF
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 03/12/7 at 01:11:07

It's even worse than 72 hours.  It's 3 business days.  When I imported my 71 142 they just needed the title.. but it had to be the original and be there for a full 3 business days.  You can only cross during the week and during regular business hours as well for some reason.

Also, only certain crossings handle vehicle importing.  I know the Lewiston Bridge handles it.

IP Logged
Phil Jeffries
YaBB Moderator

'90 Talon TSi

Ontario
Reply #10 - 03/12/7 at 14:32:02

I brought a car over the Port Huron/Sarnia crossing and had no trouble at 7:00 monday night on either side of the border.

IP Logged
hudsonDIF
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 03/12/7 at 21:52:08

Well sounds like it's not very standardised then, because I was in contact with the boarder when I was hauling and they told me I had to stay the night in NY because I had to cross between something akin to 8 - 4:30

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print