Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NOWR more dangerous than OWR?? (Read 4658 times)
fweidner
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NOWR more dangerous than OWR??
03/16/7 at 15:41:29

NOWR more dangerous than OWR??

Hear it was a great event!!!

and VERY well organized Ryan!

Also heard some rumblings about being dangerous
as:

1.  more local traffic

2  run during the day so can't see lights of on-coming     traffic

3. cars at the head of the pack had oncoming rally traffic approach them in middle of blind crests.  Couldn't see approaching rally traffic because couldn't see lights during day

Any chance of running this at night next year?

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: NOWR more dangerous than OWR??
Reply #1 - 03/16/7 at 17:40:39

Emailed to me from Terry Epp, CARS National Series Manager and past CARS President, just after the rally.

Quote:
Ryan,

I wanted to drop you a note about the NOWR to indicate how enjoyable it really was and to say thank you for organizing it.  The rally was very well thought out and was carried off perfectly.  I thought you mixed in just enough navigation with some very fine road selection.  The mirror tulips were very nicely done and had me convinced there were errors in the instructions.  (It turned out that it was a good thing I was following the route on my topos or the short excursion off route for missing the flipped tee would have cost us dearly.) There was also a sting in the tail of the event which I very much liked in that the navigation here required you to stay alert and, in fact, I think a lot of crews came undone in the final sections.  The combination of not really being able to work ahead in the road counting section along with the 'forced right' certainly made the end sections more exciting.  Just locking up the truck for the right onto Thunder Bridge Road, backing up 10 feet and starting up again made us .3 late into the control we could see was there.  I very much like it when the organizer makes the event just challenging enough to let the competitors make all the mistakes that are needed.  You certainly did that.

I know how much work and effort goes into making a rally happen and, when you add the extra 'wonder if anyone will come to support this' factor, it is nice to see it work out so well.  I was wondering how you would create an event with running in daylight and early evening on a beautiful winter day combined with some very challenging roads.  How would you manage the speeds to make it fun, but safe for everyone in the event and the public.  I was very pleased with how it all turned out.  I know Bryn and I had talked about how to run the event and some of those roads.  We had decided to stay well away from hitting a snowbank or pushing anywhere beyond a very safe comfort zone and take what penalties came our way.  (Our biggest penalties came from my very avoidable errors: timing error into A3 (.3E), timing stupidity into B1 (1E), timing brain fade into B4 (.6), not knowing the rules for route controls into B5 (.5E)and route self doubt in B9 (.6).) One of our penalties (B11-.6) came from challenging route following (road counting with close intersections), quick speeds, crossing over, onto then off, a busy road, and no recovery time before a control and all the other penalties came from simple odo differences and normal difficulty in using a curta into controls with 6 second windows.  Even running almost at the very end of the field saw us pass exactly one vehicle on the road (the pick up truck on a very challenging ET section leading to the route control) and one who found a ditch on the outside of the exit to a right clearly shown on the map section 10 (just south of 121).

Bryn and I had a great time.  Thank you once again.

Terry Epp

Take that as you may.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #2 - 03/16/7 at 18:26:42

fweidner wrote on 03/16/7 at 15:41:29:
1.  more local traffic

2  run during the day so can't see lights of on-coming     traffic

3. cars at the head of the pack had oncoming rally traffic approach them in middle of blind crests.  Couldn't see approaching rally traffic because couldn't see lights during day

Fred, don't forget this was a Road Rally.  Not a performance rally.  All competitors must obey the rules of the road.  As such, they must always drive in a manner that emphasizes safety.  They should always be driving according to the conditions.
It's always safer during the day.  You can't say that night is safer because you can see the lights of oncoming cars.  Because it's a road rally, you should never be driving over the middle of a crest, you should never be cutting the inside of a corner, you should never be on the wrong side of the road for any reason.  As long as you follow those rules, then oncoming traffic should be of little or no concern to you.

Whenever I'm entered in an event like this, everytime I approach a blind corner I ask myself: "Am I ready and able to react if there is an oncoming car, or a pedestrian, or a deer, etc".  My answer is always yes.  Most of the time, as long as you are at or below the legal speed limit, there is plenty of time to stop or avoid anything that may be around the next corner.

If any competitors were driving over the middle of a blind crest, then those competitors deserve a talking to.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
fweidner
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 03/17/7 at 08:13:54

"Take that as you may"

Like I said, heard it was a great event

And as they say,  "don't shoot the postman if you get bad news in the mail"

I wasn't at the event, just repeating what I heard

Thanks for all your effort Ryan.  Sorry I couldn't be at event.  Scuba diving in Florida or Canadian winter.  

Hmm, which to choose?

F

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #4 - 03/17/7 at 10:13:19

Fred, if you weren't at the event and all your statements regarding the NOWR are hearsay, why are you choosing to air this in public? Why wouldn't you approach me directly to ask what my plans are for next year and make your suggestions?

Every single competitor at my event said they enjoyed themselves, which to me says that more competitors who chose to not support this form of grassroots rallying really did miss out on a good time. I consider it their loss, and yours.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
fweidner
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 03/17/7 at 10:36:05

Ryan,  I have total respect for you and your organisational skills.

I know I could never do what you do.

Please don't take it any other way.

This is a forum, a format for open discussion on anything of interest to the members of MLRC.

F

IP Logged
ErikO
YaBB Newbies

Dork.

Reply #6 - 03/17/7 at 11:41:33

FWeidner:

It's threads like this and the one falsely accusing MLRC's event entries dropping that make you sound like a complete idiot. Why would you post again on a public forum "facts" and "figures" that you pulled out of your ass? Nevermind the whole "Don't shoot the messenger" mentality you always use as your escape route. You post online, you get brought down hard. It's the way of things. That's why nobody else posts bullshit rumors and hearsay online. They will get rocked just like you do, time and time again.

It's kind of funny, sometimes you post very relevant topics, about beginner rallying and good ideas for novice events. But sometimes you go way off base, and piss everyone off with your assumptions.

I know you'll take this as an attack (and it is, unfortunately), but trust me, I'm not the only one who's sick of it. Please use more discretion in the future and do some research before posting. It will help the rally community, not hinder it.

IP Logged
FWEIDNER
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 03/19/7 at 16:10:08

"that you pulled out of your ass?"

very mature comment from the "MLRC Regalia Director"

I am sure all the people taking the MLRC rally school, SPDA members, TSC members and general public that took a brochure at the auto show want to join MLRC now.

IP Logged
fweiser
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 03/19/7 at 18:24:19

I am an outsider here looking in and I couldn't help but comment:

Fred, I am surprised that anybody takes the time to answer your numerous requests for feedback considering the very questionable and arguably unappreciative way in which you respond (ie:  responses like "nice pot shot - below the belt" and "OK whatever you say buddy").

cordially, Fritz Weiser  

IP Logged
ErikO
YaBB Newbies

Dork.

Reply #9 - 03/19/7 at 20:42:01

I make no claims to be mature.

In fact, I would think more people would be turned off by the amount of posts that other members have to put up to correct what one clown is saying.

Wanna buy a T-Shirt?

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - 03/19/7 at 20:58:24

Okay, I think this has run its course.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print