Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Natural progression of a novice rallyist (Read 4209 times)
fweidner
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Natural progression of a novice rallyist
03/17/7 at 09:40:19

I think rallying is like fishing.

Step #:

1 When you're three years old you are happy catching a minnow

2.  When you're six, you're happy catching sun fish

3  Next, it's got to be a 2 lb bass

4  Next, it's got to be a 15lb walleye to get a rush

5  Next it's ocean fishing for Marlin to be happy

6  etc., etc.

Being a total novice in rallying,  I think I share the same progession as most other rallyists

1.  rally fan or arm chair athelete

2   get involved in helping out at a rally club, etc.

3   buy a car, fun just to drive twisty roads, emphasis on seat time rather than competition

4   get more involved, co-driving, driving in nagivational events.  Start with mini-rally, navigational rally school, etc.

5    try rally-X

6    try more challenging road rally such as a drivex

7    need more of a challenge, try performance co-driving

8    try entry level driving in performance rallying

9    move up to open class

10  try US events, etc.

Of course not all people follow this path right up to step 10  Some are comfortable stopping a certain level depending on risk level, finances, family committments, etc. Some people are more interested in organizing, co-driving, etc.  To each his own.

And that's perfectly OK.

But I think, in order to increase car counts in rallying, you to have to have a product that appeals to rallyist for each level.

And I think there are obvious gaps.

Personally,  I think there should be way more emphasis on training and just plain practices, or seat time.

4 rally-X's at four runs each x 1 minute a run = 16 minutes of seat time a year.

That won't produce the next rally champion.

I did a lapping day a while back.  Except for refueling and lunch, I didn't shut the car off all day( 8 hrs)

Do a few laps, take a break - drink, washroom, keep car running to cool car down - repeat 20 times - now that's seat time.

I have a few ideas, let's see what people think.

F

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Re: Natural progression of a novice rallyist
Reply #1 - 03/17/7 at 09:44:52

Agree, with one exception:  rallycrosses don't offer the same seat time as lapping days, but they do offer a real opportunity for competition, and nothing makes someone faster than a timed battle.  Organized rallycrosses have their place, just like open lapping days.

WWW   IP Logged
fweidner
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 03/17/7 at 09:50:03

of course there is a need for Rally-X, but there is very little other seat time availble for novice rallyists.

fred

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #3 - 03/17/7 at 10:07:51

Looking at my 2003 rulebook, rallysprints are exactly what you're talking about, a stepping stone above rallycross. For your first 4 events you needed a rollbar in your car, after that a CARS legal cage. Stages were limited to 3km, and should be chosen such that competitor average speeds did not exceed 80km/h. Multiple clubs were actually looking into running rallysprint events starting in 04 or 05.

RSQ events were having difficulty running on roads where this 80km/h average speed rule could be met, and the region director convinced the CARS board to change the rules to require full performance rally safety equipment from the first event starting in 2004. This despite the objections of our RSO director. From an organizer standpoint, this basically made it the same to organize a sprint as a full on performance rally, and none have happened since, not even in Quebec.

RSO has begun the process of appealing to the CARS board to change these rules back, or modify them in such a way that rallysprint is again a valid stepping stone on the way to performance rally. This process takes time. I know if sprints were around my car would have a half-cage in it already, but I do not feel it is safe it daily drive a fully caged car and will not cage my car until such time as I can afford a second vehicle.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 03/17/7 at 15:14:58

I have read all posts on under various headings and had a hard time trying to find the one to reply to. First off I must agree with everyone who has posted except Fred, sorry Fred so many of your posts are full of inaccuracies and errors its laughable. Certainly shows that involvement with out organizing doesn't give a person knowledge.

First off various events that are operated outside of RSO & clubs. Fair warning to all entrants are you covered for Insurance????  If you do sign a waiver what-who is being waivered. I assume in most cases you are saying you will not sue Track operator and event organizer. You could still be liable for injury to another participant, damage to property etc. Compare that to coverage Clubs obtained through ASN Canada which has some coverage for death and major injury as well as a small sum of weekly coverage in the event of injury.

Second Closed Road TSD. I was part of GCFR team that added that component last year. Was it successful yes-no??
for the half dozen cars competing yes.
Organizers $$ added to the bottom line yes.
Delays to event, additional work load, loss of possible event worker thats a No!!
We conceived the TSD concept to try and include Classic type cars that otherwise could not compete. Something the CARS President congratulated us for. We did not get as many Classic cars as we wanted and filled spots with modern cars. While this event went off very well in retrospect was it the right move?? We actually were surprised that the TSD entrants made the required speeds with time to spare in many cases. If we had inserted the TSD cars times into the OPRC times we could see that some OPRC cars would have been slower than TSD.

Now is there a place for 'Performance TSD on closed roads?? ' Yup and we already have rules that cover it its called RallySprint. Ryan described what happened to RallySprint in Canada. Currently myself and others are working on a plan to submit to CARS that includes parts of RallyCross and RallySprint that could in some-ways be compared to Closed road TSD. I will say I don't believe you will ever see an exclusively TSD event on a long stage road like GCFR. There are to many hurdles and safety items to deal with.

BTW Ryan congratulations on a succesful NOWR Route Green Crewed by RSO VP Navigational and Letter from CARS Past President Terry Epp How could you be wrong ?? Don't listen to someone who wasn't even there.

Pete Gulliver
While I am past Pres of PMSC and a RSO Board member these are my thoughts as an individual

Pete G
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print