Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Let's get some feedback from Novices (Read 12026 times)
fweidner
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Let's get some feedback from Novices
03/17/7 at 10:31:40

Let's get some feedback from Novices.

If you've been rallying for more than 2 years, please do not respond to this post.

Here are some ideas.  Let's see what the novices think.

1. Practice sessions

Lots of seat time in a non-competitive setting

Personally I don't see why everything has to be a competition.

Just driving Salmon lake road, etc. at the speed limit without sliding around corners would be totally beneficial.  

Getting used to gravel, grip levels, crests, apexes - Lots to learn at even WAY BELOW THE SPEED LIMIT.

I learned so much at Lanark and that was on open roads.

One of the things I learned from Frank, is that very little pendulum turns are needed and to concentrate on the racing line.

So, on an open road, you can't go on the left side, that just makes the corner tighter.

Lets organize some practice sessions.

2.  Mini-rally practice session,  tulip instrutions only.

Saturday nights on more challenging roads in non-summer months.

Monday nights is tough, as you're just waiting to leave because you have to go to work the next day.

Also, in the summer,  you're compting with vacation, cottaging, boating, etc.

Why not run mini-rallies in the fall and winter when the weather is crap, the roads more challenging, there is alot less road traffic.  And there are alot less other events to compete for your time.

You can start the event earlier, say 5:00 and run to 11:00 pm.  That's 6 hours of seat time!!.  And you have time to get to fun roads like Salmon lake, etc.

John Buffum's winter drivex uses some non-manned checkpoints.   We could do the same.  Just write down your own time at the checkpoint.  No volunteers needed.  Very easy to organize.

It's not a competition, so no tempation to speed.
If you cheat at the checkpoint, you're just cheating yourself because you'll want to compare times the next time you are out.

3.  Winter rally school

I've already shown it can work and there is lot's of interest

4.  Recce pratice sessions

I've been giving private instruction to people interested in performance driving.

Although I'm a novice, having competed my first year in performance rallying, I still know more than anyone who has never done it before.

The feedback has been phenominal.

Pick a twisty road  road and practice:

timing calculations
time controls
writing notes
two pass recce
practice reading notes, timing, etc. for the co-driver
practice listening to notes for the driver

All at below legal speed limits and while adhering to highway traffic act. i,e, no rally style turns etc.

OK, so you can't pratice the rally driving aspect, but you pratice everything else involved in a performance rally.

I've already proved this works and novices are very interested and that this is very beneficial.

I learned the hard way, that the starting line is not the place to learn co-driving at probably $1,000/hr of seat time.

Co-drivers should be totally comfortable with all aspects of performance rallying before getting to a performance rally.  Practice at $6.00/hr of seat time instead of $1,000/hr of seat time.

5  Putting it all together:  Peformance TSD at performance rallyies.

Practice the co-driving and rally driving at lower speeds

The performance TSD was a cheap way to experience entry level performance rallying.

I'm told it will never happen again.  Too bad.

You could double or tripple car counts at every performance rally.

Galway - already proved it can work

Tall Pines - do hastings and west eel creek, ( the smooth stages suited for stock suspensions), but reduce CAS to 50 - i.e. VERY SAFE

Black Bear - pine springs only, suited to stock suspension

6  Mock performance rally

run a rally-X as a performance rally

So what do the novices think?

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Re: Let's get some feedback from Novices
Reply #1 - 03/17/7 at 11:11:01

fweidner wrote on 03/17/7 at 10:31:40:
I learned the hard way, that the starting line is not the place to learn co-driving at probably $1,000/hr of seat time.

It's not so good for your credibility when you are just making things up.  
Your first event was Black Bear'06.  I know this because I was your driver.  The entry fee for the whole day was $400, which we split two ways.  I provided us with free accomodations.  And we each won $250 worth of product.  Factor in fuel costs, and the total final cost to you for that event was  approximately $0.00
So I'm not sure where you come up with $1000/hr...

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #2 - 03/17/7 at 23:08:55

Ideas about ways in which we can improve rally events of all sorts should be brought to our club meetings (open to all).   This way the ideas can be discussed in a serious way and and put to action in a manner where everyone benefits.  

If one is really serious about making a difference to rally in general and the club specifically,  there is no substitute to getting informed by attending club meetings.

WWW   IP Logged
fweidner
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 03/18/7 at 07:07:19

Quote:
It's not so good for your credibility when you are just making things up.  
Your first event was Black Bear'06.  I know this because I was your driver.  The entry fee for the whole day was $400, which we split two ways.  I provided us with free accomodations.  And we each won $250 worth of product.  Factor in fuel costs, and the total final cost to you for that event was  approximately $0.00
So I'm not sure where you come up with $1000/hr...

I wasn't really refering to Black Bear.  I was referring to rallies in general.  When you add up fuel costs for the rally car, fuel for recce, food costs, cost of taking days off work, hotel costs, entrance costs ... just all the costs in general in rough numbers to probably comes out to that.  Maybe $1,000 /hr is a bit off, it doesn't matter.

The point is it's know where near  something like a mini-rally at  $25/4 hrs = $6/hr.

IP Logged
big_Ian

euro trash racing

Reply #4 - 03/18/7 at 18:38:09

Mt fault guys...
I was charging Fred a grand an hour to ride around in my porsche...

Fred, stop wasting time posting stuff on MLRC and weld the cage in that WRX..

I might be having too much fun....
  IP Logged
Peter_Watt
YaBB Newbies

Peterborough, Ontario
Reply #5 - 03/18/7 at 19:18:18

Hi Fred,
Although I don't really qualify as a "less than two years in the sport" person, I wanted to respond to something Anthony said:  He encouraged you to attend club meetings and get involved that way.  That is a great idea but not always as appealing as solving problems on one's own.  Remember that MLRC only organizes 33% of the events in the Ontario Performance Championship so there is plenty of scope for change.  Keep organizing the events you're doing and branch out into the full performance events.Starting something new or affecting change is often a difficut process.  Often it takes far longer because we don't have all the background.  The sport need new blood and new ideas but don't think for one minute that one should ignore the input of the old-timers as well. There is a wealth of experience and knowledge that can be utilized.  Don't turn your back on it.
BTW - The closed road tsd event at GCFR came out of the original growth planning meeting.  PMSC gave it a try but to a person the OPRC competitors criticized the initiative because it added an additional and intolerable 13 minutes to each of their turnarounds.  Point being - sometimes we think something new or different is good because it appeals to one group of people but at the risk of alienating another group.
Cheers,
Peter

Peter Watt
  IP Logged
cbogooch
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 03/18/7 at 20:27:51

My son and I sarted new into the Rally world last year at the OWR helping(?) at a checkpoint. We ended the season at Targa Newfoundland (won a silver plate). Of all the events and learning opportunities we had the TSD at Cavendish was without a doubt the most beneficial (and fun). While performance rally is a goal, we are in no big rush to get there. The events that MLRC and other clubs offer gives us lots to learn and hopefuly improve. Everyone we have met or been involved with has been fantastic, and very helpful. We sincerely appreciate all the time and effort that is put in by the volunteer organization to provide such great driving experiences in a completely safe environment.

IP Logged
robin

5 right - sh*t, I
mean 3 right ...
over crest!

Reply #7 - 03/19/7 at 08:56:23

Peter_Watt wrote on 03/18/7 at 19:18:18:
BTW - The closed road tsd event at GCFR came out of the original growth planning meeting.  PMSC gave it a try but to a person the OPRC competitors criticized the initiative because it added an additional and intolerable 13 minutes to each of their turnarounds.  

Not this person - but then maybe feedback was only asked of those who didn't roll...Tongue
After rolling, I had a chance to sit... and watch... as the TSD runners increased their speed with every pass - to a point where I thought it was dangerous - I provide this opinion after having had two big offs on that road now - one of which led to injury.

None of us were born with the unalienable *right* to flog little cars like fools on gravel forest roads.  There are certain realities that cannot be overcome - one of them is that this can't be done for free.  Another is that we live in a society that has little tolerance for risk.

Where I agreed with the general *idea* of including TSD runners that was put forth at the growth meeting, having seen it executed, I've changed my mind.  You can't shortcut this thing.  Proper safety equipment is needed to run at those speeds.

Before the inevitable reaction, I'll say that
1) I'm not trying to keep perf. rallying exclusive
2) I'm not trying to justify money I have spent
3) I'm not feeling paternalistic

I am faced with reality and I'd like to keep rallying with as many people as possible. Kiss

Back to whichever of the umpteen Fred topics this was...

Robin

IP Logged
prmoore
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 03/19/7 at 10:09:20

<<Proper safety equipment is needed to run at those speeds. >>

"At those speeds"????  The maximum CAS we were given in the TSD division was 76.2km/hr.  We got greater penalties for averaging above CAS than for below CAS.  Most of us had to slow way down to avoid these penalties, meaning that we were not driving "all out" to meet CAS.  
As to the "intolerable delay" that having a TSD division caused to those poor performance people:  there were 4 cars.  At two minutes apart that would be 8 extra minutes delay.  As someone else here said, if the goal to get more performance entrants were ever achieved, there would be more cars there too.  darn, more delay.   Don't you just hate growth.
--Rita

RSO VP, navigational rallies
  IP Logged
Jaak
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 03/19/7 at 10:20:34

Peter, small correction, I was one of the OPRC at GCFR competitors and I did not criticize the TSD portion.  I was glad to see it tried and IMHO the organizers deserved applause.  

Of course nothing is perfect, certainly not the first time around.  It was a good try.  I was at the "growth" meeting and was one of the original proponents.  BTW, that meeting in Peterborough was worth the drive from Ottawa.  Like a number of people have said, we should all attend more meetings to affect improvements...motorsports is run by people and ya gotta work with people in person.  

I was so grateful at finding MCO in 1998 and enjoying the priviledge of playing that I wanted to give back right away so my second year I served on the MCO Executive as Rally and Solo Director.  Which in turn gave me the chance to co-create the Lanark Highlands Rally.  The more involved I've been the more fun I've had.  

Fred, I don't recall if we have met, but if I may repeat the suggestion, go to club meetings, AGMs etc. and talk to people about your ideas...you'll enjoy it, and if you don't mind me saying so, you'll drop some ideas and develop others if you do it positively.  IMHO, posting complex ideas to forums is much like whistling in the wind and your efforts will be wasted.  There are a lot of really nice people in motorsports who are also really smart people with experience and knowledge that you can build on.  You can talk to many of them this Saturday in Newmarket!  

Jaak

IP Logged
robin

5 right - sh*t, I
mean 3 right ...
over crest!

Reply #10 - 03/19/7 at 12:15:41

prmoore wrote on 03/19/7 at 10:09:20:
<<Proper safety equipment is needed to run at those speeds. >>

"At those speeds"????  The maximum CAS we were given in the TSD division was 76.2km/hr.  We got greater penalties for averaging above CAS than for below CAS.  Most of us had to slow way down to avoid these penalties, meaning that we were not driving "all out" to meet CAS.

Well 76.2 is an interesting number, but what does it tell us:

1) 76.2km/h has you finishing 11/21 finishers (6m39s) on SS1 of the performance event - you know, the event with the cages etc.

2) One competitor scored a couple of 3E - that puts him 8/21 finishers - the meat in an Open class sandwich

3) you scored 10 points - all early, no late (to be fair, you zeroed a lot - obviously making an attempt to do so), another competitor scored 15 points (14 of them early), another scored 28 (14 early) and the last competitor scored 34 points - all early.

All this, as you say, with you guys having to "slow way down to avoid these penalties" (how fast were you going?)

I recall from the second growth meeting that the goal of including the TSD competitors was so that they could see "a real rally road" and be involved in a performance event -- general acclimatization if you will.

I made my observation - not of some number (76.2) but from the side of the stage after rolling on SS1 (there are witnesses to my comments at that time) - and before that being involved in perf. rally competition for quite a while - a while that, much to my chagrin, is characterized by a few offs - some of them pretty big.  

No offense, but relying on the impressions of the people behind the wheel might not be the best way to go - things have a way of slowing down when you start to go fast.

As I said, in my opinion it was dangerous.

prmoore wrote on 03/19/7 at 10:09:20:
As to the "intolerable delay" that having a TSD division caused to those poor performance people:  there were 4 cars.  At two minutes apart that would be 8 extra minutes delay.  As someone else here said, if the goal to get more performance entrants were ever achieved, there would be more cars there too.  darn, more delay.   Don't you just hate growth.
--Rita

As I said, I wasn't one of those people - apparently Jaak wasn't either (in fact I heard no complaints at the SS1/SS2 turn-around).  I don't hate growth - I love it.  But watch what happens to growth if something happens when we're pushing the safety envelope or when someone who  isn't a stakeholder in 'this thing of ours' comes along and says "screw the TSD points - I wanna go fast!"

Robin

(sorry to be throwing your thread so far into space Fred)

IP Logged
FWEIDNER
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 03/19/7 at 12:59:36

Um ....   I still think there is a place for a peformance TSD.

I think it should happen in:  

independant events - why not

performance ralllies - if anyone was complaining about waiting - I say get used to it.  If any growth plans are successful, you'll have to get used to waiting anyways.

2. Reduce the CAS

3.  Reduce the CAS

4    Reduce the CAS to 60, 50, it's not supposed to be a "practice sliding my rally car around the corner without a cage event"

I did criterium with a CAS of 60, it was a blast, I even suggested they reduce the CAS to 50, maybe for total beginners.

And if a CAS of CAS of 50 or 60 is too slow for you , then it's time to get a cage, but at least you've made it to that level with a relativley low learning cost

i.e more people will be ready to make the jump into performance rallying!!!

5.  If rallysprint goes back to rollbar only, why not do it at the peformance rallies?

You could run it or a performance TSD like a new car class, 4 minutes after the last P1, running a minimum of 2 minutes apart.  That way the event would just be like having 20 plus extra cars in the regular performance rally which is what we want anyways.

The organisers won't like it, but at this moment in time we're not here to please the organizers, we're here to grow the sport.   I'm sure we could double the cars counts.

If we had double the car counts to begin with, we wouldn't even be talking about things like this.

6. The benefit to existing peformance rallyists:

Double the car count = half the cost per rallyist!! and still same revenue for the club!!

more money left over to do more rallies with - US rallies here we come!!

It's a win-win situation for everyone!!!

IMHO anyways.

IP Logged
brynepp

Who said trucks
can't Rally?

Reply #12 - 03/19/7 at 14:16:00

Fred,

I'm only going to comment on points 5 and 6.

5 - No one is saying the organizers don't like it.  What we are saying is that it adds complication.  Complication to an already difficult task of balancing time lines, day light, service, etc.   That being said GCFR ran a TSD with there Performance event and we learned a lot. Will GCFR run the same this year? Probably not.  Will they run a TSD group as well?  That for PMSC to decide.  Will MLRC run a TSD with BBR? No, our time line right now is too tight and we are way too short of workers.

6 - Doubling the car count does not half the cost per ralliest.  Events pay a per car insurance levy (most of the entry fee), plus a per car road damage levy for performance events.  This is the way we balance the insurance cost out.  If GCFR had to pay the full insurance cost in 05 they would have lost their shirt.  If BBR had to pay the full insurance cost in 06 we would have lost our shirt.  These levy's are totaled at the end of the year by CARS and RSO and the per car levy's are then adjusted accordingly for the next year  Allowing for events to survive  dips in entries.

Again coming to meetings and asking questions will help here.  A lot of the things we do, are done for very practical reasons

Bryn
Speaking as john Q rally enthusiast.

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #13 - 03/19/7 at 14:17:42

6:  Not sure how 2*Entries = 1/2 CC (cost to competitor)... there are other factors... it's not X cost / total entries * profit = CC... you have to factor in the cost each car adds to an event.  Yes, it does have the potential to lower costs... but not by that much... don't expect $100 entry fees to performance rallies.  Perhaps more thought on how to attract series sponsors... how to maximize a sponsor's return on investment.

5: Not factoring in events that require turn-arounds at the ends of stage (GFCR, BB... where you also now have to find a space to park 20 extra cars)... The amount of time you have added to keep each stage road closed may end up removing stages... even if you ignore the potential loss of workers (possibly 15 of the 20 cars entered would have been workers for that rally)... Figure a typical Pines stage... even if you run it once... it's already hard for anyone working an afternoon stage to work the night stage... add another 40-60min (20 cars @ 2min each).  

And... what's the point?  Put a roll bar in my car, drive the road at a reduced speed, just for practice... why not just drive the road a week later after the rally is over?  Zero entry fee, drive whatever speed I want.  Plus, how do you regulate the 'class'... how does the kid driving the STi differ any from the middle-aged guy in a fwd 323?

1-4:  I see this as in interesting intro to performance rally.  Let me drive an event where I'm not worried about how fast to drive, but the focus is on timing... and not arriving at the exact time... teach me performance rally timing... simulate a control gone bad... checkin/checkout times... all that stuff.  As a driver, I want to know what's happening on the other side of the car... I learned to navigate before I began driving the ORRC series... I'd love to learn how to do the timing before I begin driving the performance stuff... makes life a lot easier if you've got a novice navigator and they're not feeling so great at the end of a stage.

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #14 - 03/19/7 at 17:24:19

I want to comment on the TSD aspect of Galway and novice events.

1)  In principle I think that having a TSD event on a closed road is an interesting idea and I would jumped all over that if I was still competing in TSD rallies.  From my experience at Galway this year I did not see it as affecting the performance competition in an unacceptable way (in fact, I found the social aspect at the turnaround quite enjoyable).

However...
2)  Rightly or wrongly, beginners rely  much more on the experience of the organizers in determining what circumstances are safe to run without safety equipment.  For this reason I think that safety needs to be the top concern when it is open to novice competitors using cars without safety equipment.  When people get hurt, any growth in the sport will be nullified by those that retire from competition as a result of losing faith that organizers always have the competitor's safety in mind when designing events.  

As for running Close Course TSD as a stand alone or as part of a performance rally, that is discussion best had at a club meeting (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) as there are several logistical "pros" and "cons" that are event specific.  

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print