Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Let's get some feedback from Novices (Read 12011 times)
nhibbert

Re: Let's get some feedback from Novices
Reply #15 - 03/19/7 at 18:08:08

What I'd like to see is a practice session or rally class with a prepped rally car (or cars) available for rent.  Cheesy

But who would sacrifice their car?

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Peter_Watt
YaBB Newbies

Peterborough, Ontario
Reply #16 - 03/19/7 at 18:34:12

Again, Hijacking the thread - Sorry Fred, and also not being a beginner (I've not been too active the past year but I have been down a rally road or two).

So many people make the assumption the growth is good.  Often growth is the measure of success.  If we hung two pedofiles last year and 4 this year then we have growth.  That is good.  Did we have 100% growth or 50% growth?  I can make a case for both.

My main point - forgive the attempt at lighteneing the situation - I don't believe that we can assume growth is always good.  There comes a critical time when just one more (competitor, event, meeting, person, whatever) causes the need for a complete reorganization.
Take insurance for an example:  A 40 km event costs x dollars.  Add 8 km. - still x dollars.  Go to 51 km and the insurance goes to 1.5x.
That cost is added on to entry fees.  So a 49,9 km event entry is $325  and a 52 km event is 425.  Those last 2.1 km cost a lot of coin.
Adding just 10 competitors to an event adds considerably more than just 10 minutes at each turn-around.  Sweep is more than likely delayed by increased extraction.  Work load is magnified for registrars and scrutineers.  Banquet hall facilities - especially in rural areas are stretched.  GCFR is at the limit in that respect.
When we ask for growth do we mean more car count? more events? more "profits?"
Rob has plans this year for GCFR to grow in length and time.  That means overnight accommodation for crews and workers, addition fuel and tire expense, lighting requirements increased entry fees.  Sometimes those elements of growth are not universally welcomed.
I'm not saying that growth is bad but I am cautioning that growth is not without issues that should be considered.
Cheers,
pw

Peter Watt
  IP Logged
CrazyLeo

Godspeed

planet Earth
Reply #17 - 03/19/7 at 20:37:08

Quote:
Keep organizing the events you're doing and branch out into the full performance events.Starting something new or affecting change is often a difficut process.  Often it takes far longer because we don't have all the background.  The sport need new blood and new ideas but don't think for one minute that one should ignore the input of the old-timers as well.

Sir, I couldn't have said it better. While new blood and new ideas might have a queer way to voice themselves, at the end of the day we are the new generation that's going to be on the scene in 10, 20 and 30 years.

Same way as we have to hold our temper back and play by the rules, respecting traditional ways to run things, old-timers have to accept that we are used to slightly different ways to get what we want.
We are used to make rules that help the sport, not bend the sport to follow rules.

Quote:
we live in a society that has little tolerance for risk.

+1. Possibly, as time goes by, and more immigrants invade this society, things will change.

Quote:
why not just drive the road a week later after the rally is over?  Zero entry fee, drive whatever speed I want.

Doug, how on Earth could you think of such a thing!?

Quote:
What I'd like to see is a practice session or rally class with a prepped rally car (or cars) available for rent.    
But who would sacrifice their car?

I would, what’s your offer?

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #18 - 03/19/7 at 21:05:09

dtompsett wrote on 03/19/7 at 14:17:42:
why not just drive the road a week later after the rally is over?  Zero entry fee, drive whatever speed I want.  

Because landowners and townships get very pissed off if people go bombing around stage roads.  Then road permissions are denied.  Then stages are cancelled.  And events disappear.

Road permissions are very hard to get, and very easy to lose.

WWW   IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #19 - 03/19/7 at 21:36:08

CrazyLeo wrote on 03/19/7 at 20:37:08:
Sir, I couldn't have said it better. While new blood and new ideas might have a queer way to voice themselves, at the end of the day we are the new generation that's going to be on the scene in 10, 20 and 30 years.

Same way as we have to hold our temper back and play by the rules, respecting traditional ways to run things, old-timers have to accept that we are used to slightly different ways to get what we want.
We are used to make rules that help the sport, not bend the sport to follow rules.

I don't think you'll find many people who are against new ideas to improve the sport.  The problem here is simply the way the message is being delivered.

Personally, I really do think that there are some great ideas being discussed, and that they are definitely worth trying.  But when the proponent of some of these ideas insists on distorting the truth, then the good ideas are wasted because the credibility of the presenter is brought into question - and he alienates those who would be willing to help him.

WWW   IP Logged
Sideburns Steve
YaBB Newbies

what the heck is
YaBB 1G - SP1!

Alliston
Reply #20 - 03/19/7 at 21:52:29

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to rally and I like the ideas that Fred is suggesting. I do think you all should try to work things out a bit better, and I dunno if over the forums is the best place to do it. Even the phone would be better.

So to respond to the topics question, this is what I have to say. My car is not caged, and it won't be anytime soon as I'm still paying for it. But I don't mind driving it hard down gravel roads. I for one, do NOT find NavX events interesting at all. Yes the roads are nice, but I could go on a lovely drive any time I want to. I have a map, and I can find nice roads and put them all together and make a route. I don't need help with that. And I do realize that some people actually like having tricky directions and, getting lost is maybe fun for them. I do NOT like getting turned around and lost. I'd rather go down town Toronto and get lost while try to find a parking spot than get lost while I'm doing a "rally" event. Just my opinion.

I did the Lanark DriveX and LOVED it, even though it wasn't quite challenging enough. Yes yes, I know, its not a performance rally. That was a brisk night jog to me. The biggest scare I had was that big stupid white dog! And I do understand that because the Fast and Furious wanna be's have messed up everything, that now that by-law exists, and DriveX events are gone. That really STINKS.

I went to the Bancroft RallyX and was quite disapointed  at the conditions. I was on the start line, and the Ford Ranger TRUCK that was in front of me came limping up out of the "pit" with a hole in the radiator from a rock. I then questioned why the heck I was about to drive my car into the "pit". What I'm saying is, how are people going to be attracted to an event that should be a baja race. No offence to anyone, I know they are using what they've got, but its way to rough to be fun. Isn't there somewhere else they can run these things so instant ruts don't happen?? Maybe close a backroad somewhere?? I don't have an answer, but theres got to be better than a "pit".

And about the safty issues with novices needing extra help so they don't crash. Although I don't want anyone to get hurt, especially the reputation of the sport, crashing is part of the learning curve. And if you are continually crashing then maybe you shouldn't be driving. Try co-driving instead. Sorry if that sounds mean, but thats how it is. However, I think that we can take a lesson from the Solo guys who, at the begining of the season, hold a school for the beginers and teach them the basics of racing. Fred's idea's of rally schools would be a good start. It should only take a lesson or two from a guy who knows his stuff to teach the beginners how to rally safely.

And one guy said earlier on, about the people running the performance TSD and being quicker that some of the actual competitors in the actuall rally. Well what does that show you? Obviously there are guys who are quite capable of making the jump to Performace Rally, but just can't for some reason (prolly $$$ if I was to guess). So Fred is right to try to help those guys get into performance rally races. Those guys are probably the future of the sport, so why not help them out. Maybe one of them could even represent Canada in the WRC!! So come on guys, lets help each other out here.

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #21 - 03/19/7 at 22:48:01

It takes money to race.  That is an unavoidable truth.
I think if you were to poll all the people that want to compete but do not, the number one reason would be lack of money.
Vehicles need to be well prepared, and safety equipment is mandatory.  
Creating beginner schools, and a progressive ladder into performance rally will not change that.  Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea, and should definately be implemented.  But I think it will only help people who would have rallied anyway.  I don't think it will be effective at introducing new people to the sport.
Due to rules, and insurance, and common sense, we are only allowed to go so fast before cages and other safety equipment become mandatory.  Cost is the true limiting factor for beginners, not knowledge or skill.

I say this jokingly, but it's probably true:  It would be far better for the sport if we were all to take marketing courses, rather than driving courses.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 03/19/7 at 23:03:45

We are used to make rules that help the sport, not bend the sport to follow rules. (Leo)

Advice to Novices -

A sport with no rules will not survive.

Of course the rules have to serve  the sport also.

The one message that keeps recurring in all these threads more often than anything else from many different people is that the newcomers are more than welcome to express their ideas,  but that if they want anything to come of them,  they have to learn the appropriate channels for doing so.  Posting a bunch of ideas on a forum generates some good discussion,  but most likely will see very little come of it, especially if they are presented in a critical manner.  It is also very important to check your facts before posting; otherwise you lose all credibility and your great ideas get buried with the rubbish.  Don't let the good ones be wasted like that.  Also keep focused on concepts and never get into personal attacks.

If you want your ideas to happen,  bring them to the club leaders to talk about them.  Some of your ideas are excellent and can be brought into effect;  others will not be possible for reasons that will be explained to you.  For example, after 911 rally in Canada almost died because we were having great difficulty getting insurance for our events.  We were lucky to get it at all,  so it is extremely important to follow the requirements of the insurance policy,  which means following our own rules.   If our rules need changing there is a proper procedure for doing that.  

We went through a very valuable exercise a year or two ago called Growth Meetings.  Everyone was invited to come and talk about what new ideas could be implemented to improve the sport.  Many great ideas came from that. Some of those have been tried already; others are still to be tried, waiting for people to provide some leadership in making them come alive.

But if you want your ideas to happen,  you must also be willing to help make them happen.  This is all being done by volunteers.

IP Logged
robin

5 right - sh*t, I
mean 3 right ...
over crest!

Reply #23 - 03/20/7 at 07:22:25

Sideburns Steve wrote on 03/19/7 at 21:52:29:
And about the safty issues with novices needing extra help so they don't crash. Although I don't want anyone to get hurt, especially the reputation of the sport, crashing is part of the learning curve. And if you are continually crashing then maybe you shouldn't be driving. Try co-driving instead.

Crashing is part of the game - but I think most would agree that we should keep the crashing confined to cars that are properly outfitted with safety gear. (and I do co-drive)

Sideburns Steve wrote on 03/19/7 at 21:52:29:
And one guy said earlier on, about the people running the performance TSD and being quicker that some of the actual competitors in the actuall rally. Well what does that show you?

It shows me that there are guys in unrestricted turbo cars (likely modified?)  w/o a cage going too fast.  If a 90hp Scirocco (being generous - I know) needs a cage etc - doesn't a 200+hp Subaru?

This isn't *about* whether they/their car can go fast - it's about what is safe and it's about an activity that may 1) jeopardize our insurance coverage 2) harm our public profile 3) endanger our road permissions or 4)get somebody hurt -- All things that could end performance rallying.  Nobody has a *right* to do what we do - it can disappear like 'that'.

Re: Fred.
I am acquainted with Fred and I support his aims.  The structure that's in place can and has led to stagnation (part of the reason for having growth mtgs) - some of the stuff we're reading is probably nothing more than frustration - but a couple of things come to mind:

1) this *is* a not-for-profit undertaking which depends exclusively on volunteers and is almost entirely underwritten by the competitors/organizers and the volunteers themselves.  We aren't making pizzas or convincing little old ladies to continually switch mutual funds - there is no boss, there are no shareholders.  There are stakeholders - stakeholders include everyone involved who makes this thing happen.  "Everyone" requires structure - the structure is the club.  This thing is no one person and no one person can operate alone w/o offending other stakeholders - some of whom have been around since this thing started.  

2) the rules sometimes seem restrictive.  I think it's a huge mistake to start-off with "I just want to go fast in my car w/o spending the time and money" - and then look for a way to manipulate or push the rules - come up with events that appear to follow the insurance requirements - the acid test is this:  if someone is grievously injured and insurance has to make a max payout - will they cover it?  Will anyone get sued?  

organizer: "Well it was just a TSD rally."
ins. investigator: "These cars were going as fast as your real rally cars - somebody's been very seriously injured here."
organizer: "No - they had a target time of 10% less than the maximum allowable speed for the road"
ins. investigator: "I really don't understand what you're talking about and I don't care.  These cars have no cages or any of the other safety equipment specified"
organizer: "We didn't think they needed it - they're beginners trying to get used to performance rallying."
ins. investigator: "we're dropping you from coverage and publishing a memo to the insurance industry specifying same - also, you're on your own with the injury claim -we're not covering it."

IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 03/20/7 at 07:46:39

I have read all the comments from various people some of whom are very knowledgeable about the sport. Some of whom are lacking some vital history.

I would suggest to all who are really concerned about this sport and its direction to get involved. This Saturday March 24th is the RSO AGM for 2006 how many of you can we expect to be there??

How many of you can we expect to offer themselves for election and be willing to take on the many hours of work that the Executive [like all the club Exec's and Organizers give each year]  It is very easy to be involved for a few months and say everything needs changing. However as many others have advised we have to work within what is permitted by insurance. I know myself I have floated ideas to find that we cannot obtain insurance for them.

Link for AGM notice
http://www.mlrc.ca/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1171902910...

I trust we will see you all there!!

Pete Gulliver

Pete G
  IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #25 - 03/20/7 at 15:48:29

fweidner wrote on 03/17/7 at 10:31:40:
Let's get some feedback from Novices.

If you've been rallying for more than 2 years, please do not respond to this post.

I've been in rallying for quite a bit more than 2 years but, compared to the level of knowledge, skill, and experience of so many other people on this discussion forum, deep down I do, and probably always will, continue to think of myself as a Novice.

Despite what some of you have posted in response to Fred's comments, I applaud his obvious enthusiasm for the sport, his initiative in proposing new ideas, and his guts in posting his ideas here for public discussion.  It is a discussion forum after all.

Besides that, I still owe Fred for stopping to pull me out of a snowbank after I made a mistake during the Criterium des Neiges rally.  Despite the two minutes lost towing us out, Fred went on to take first place overall in that event.

Anthony_T wrote on 03/19/7 at 17:24:19:
Rightly or wrongly, beginners rely much more on the experience of the organizers in determining what circumstances are safe to run without safety equipment.  For this reason I think that safety needs to be the top concern when it is open to novice competitors using cars without safety equipment.  When people get hurt, any growth in the sport will be nullified by those that retire from competition as a result of losing faith that organizers always have the competitor's safety in mind when designing events.

That really is an excellent point and something that cannot be stressed enough.

I had taken part in many navex rallies before hearing about the winter drivex series and finally taking part in my first OWR.  It scared the crap out of me.

Being a novice to this type of event, I really had no idea beforehand how intense the experience would be.  But I was hooked.  It was only after several times competing that I came to appreciate how much effort and organisational skill goes into preparing a top-notch event like this so that it can be run as safely as it is.

It's definitely not a venue to simply turn loose a bunch of lunatics in fast cars on fun roads.  A lot of thought goes into designating and enforcing proper Quiet Zones, marking Caution instructions in the route book where required, setting realistic CAS speeds, and mapping and scheduling a route using interesting and remote roads at an hour when we are least likely to meet oncoming traffic.

As a Novice during my first OWR, just trying not to fall off the road, I didn't get much chance to think about any of that.  But in each subsequent year I came to appreciate more and more how much responsibilty rests on the organizer's shoulders to ensure the event is run safely.

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #26 - 04/03/7 at 11:50:04

All I can say is if you don't like the way something is being done, run, or not, get off your whiny ass and PARTICIPATE in the club meetings, go to the AGM, attend RSO meetings, write for your newsletter, get elected, help an organiser (in a club sanctioned event), otherwise you're just pissing in the wind.

This rally thing has been a round a LONG time (50 years just in Canada).  The structures built to govern the sport, while never perfect, are there for good reasons, and come from decades of lessons learned.  Going against the system will only get you shut out of it.  Organisers have no tolerance for people they perceive as a risk to their event.  When you act outside of the organisation, you're on your own (e.g. insurance), meanwhile putting at jeapordy the thing you love (rallying).  When you work within the organisation you have a large support network with an established record, sort of useful shuld you need to go to court (and we haven't, because the organisation is setup to avoid exactly that).

I can be pretty whiny sometimes.  But, instead of just bitching and pointing fingers, I got elected, I organised, I attend the meetings, I set policy, rules, made series, etc, all WITHIN the framework.  We resurrected rally in Ottawa after many dead years.  All WITHIN the framework.  

There were notable attendee absenses at the AGM.  It just means you're not serious.

Steve, you had plenty of lates, too, on Lanark, stop bragging. Wink

Craig

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Sideburns Steve
YaBB Newbies

what the heck is
YaBB 1G - SP1!

Alliston
Reply #27 - 04/03/7 at 12:24:41

C. Hamm wrote on 04/03/7 at 11:50:04:
Steve, you had plenty of lates, too, on Lanark, stop bragging. Wink

Craig

Sorry Craig. I just reread what I wrote and I do sound like a jerk the way I worded that. That event was challenging and awesome! Best rally event I've ever been in! What I was refering to was that I didn't need to push myself to meet the CAS. AS in, I was within my "comfort zone" the enitre time (were you should be of course). Yes I was late a bunch of times, but I was just guessing at my average speed by looking at my speedometer every 10 seconds or so. Sometimes I guessed high and sometimes I guess low, but I did enjoy myself!!

In comparison, we did a DriveX in Quebec a few weeks later and zeroed the first four check points cause we used the cruise control!! We stopped then becuase the roads were to rough (potholes), and we were to tired to drive straight  Smiley

I hope the DriveX events will be able to return once the Street Racing laws get all settled.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print