Send Topic Print
WTB: Ham Radio (Read 7603 times)
Doug_Edwards
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

WTB: Ham Radio
05/18/7 at 04:18:46

Looking for some ham gear to go with my new license. Need an in-car unit to help out at Black Bear. They told me on course to look for something with large, easy-to-use, easy-to-read knobs and display, preferably lighted. Also going to want a 5/8th mag mount antennae. Anybody got something to part with? How about any ham swap meets coming up?

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: WTB: Ham Radio
Reply #1 - 05/18/7 at 07:55:31

I'm sure there are others, but I can't find my list.

http://www.hamfest.on.ca/main.html
saturday june 9th.

Aside from that... I've got an Icom V8000 for working rally, great 2m unit that can put out upto 75w. Comes in very handy when you want that extra bit of distance.  Easy to work with, and also gives you weatherband stations.  

Once you get a setup, try to find someone who can 'tune' your antenna with an SWR meter.  Especially when you start pushing more power through an antenna, having it tuned is important.

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #2 - 05/18/7 at 09:32:17

Doug,

While one can easily purchase a used radio, I generally advise against it - especially if you are new to things. Ham folk[this includes me, but not for the following] generally (in my opinion) don't seem to understand the concept of depreciation, and also have a habit of doing 'poor' (eg not factory quality) repairs when things do go wrong.

I've been doing the radio thing for a while, and have purchased used rigs in the past - In general, I won't do it again - unless it is an item that is no longer for sale, or comes from paticular individuals.

The iCom V8000 as the other Doug mentioned, is probably the best bang for your buck these days - I'm not a huge fan of iCom as I have had some issues with thier top-of-the-line handheld - but some of the underpinnings of the 8000 I belive is common with thier commercial grade radios, which are actually decent.

Remember, to run anywhere near max output, you do need to run [fused] power directly from the battery - don't even think about using the cigarette plug - it may work briefly, but its a bad idea for many reasons.

Any questions, lemme know.

Jamie

P.s. Avoid shopping at radioworld, yeah yeah, I know thier somewhat local, but cutomer service is a forgien notion to them, it would seem (even when you go in and drop 2 grand in under 10 minutes, they couldent care less).

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #3 - 05/18/7 at 09:54:52

Never really had a problem with radioworld, and my last purchase there (yasue dualband handheld + dualband antenna) was because I'd won a gift certificate at a hamfest.

But it you want to shop 'locally' at another supplier...

http://www.durhamradio.com/s/product.php?productid=42454&cat=0&page=1

And to second what jamie said... don't bother wiring through the cigarette lighter plug.  Properly wire to the battery.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #4 - 05/18/7 at 09:59:31

Another plug for the Icom V8000. My wife got me one for Christmas a few years ago and it has worked well and I have always been able to be picked up almost anywhere at Pines.

With the price less than $300, it almost makes buying used not worth bothering.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Doug_Edwards
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 05/19/7 at 07:15:47

Lots of good input. Thanks guys, that's what I need. Although I've worked in avionics (aircraft electrical/electronics maintenance) for many years, I am brand new to ham and very green. I guess I should check out some new gear first, at least to see where the market is with stuff. Then maybe I wouldn't mind snooping a ham meet somewhere. I'll take the comments about buying used to mind. I agree this can be a sorry headache for a start-up, but there must be one or two honest dudes out there somewhere. And having a used radio tuned by somebody who knows is a good idea for sure, together with it's ant. Also you won't have a hard sell convincing me about adequate primary power. Direct feed (fused) off the battery with heavy gauge wire (say 10 ga.) is a must.

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 05/19/7 at 07:35:30

Excellent advice in this discussion.  I'll add my bit about the power source.  I wire directly to the battery with 10 or 12 gauge wire but I always use a circuit breaker rather than a fuse as close as possible to the battery. You can buy them at any auto parts store in various breaker levels - 10-15-20-25-30 amp generally available.  Also be sure to solder all joints.

Over the years I cannot count the number of times radio operators at rallies have run into difficulties trying to power radios off a cigarette lighter source.

For connector from the power lead to the radio Princess Auto sells an excellent heavy duty 2 prong trailer connector that works perfectly.

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #7 - 05/19/7 at 08:24:34

I too have a V8000 and haven't had any issues, although I only ever use it for rallys. I also picked up a Yaesu VX-50 handheld for $150 recently so I wasn't tied to my car at events. It doesn't have the range of the in-car unit but 90% of the time it works fine as long as the battery doesn't die (although you can recharge it with the cigarette lighter).

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Doug_Edwards
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 05/20/7 at 05:39:08

Okay, you guys have convinced me. After hearing good things said about the Icom V8000 and checking out the Durham Radio site (the link took me right to it, how convenient), I see you're right. For the price why fool around with used? I can get it and a 5/8th whip for under $300, and Whitby is only about 1 coffee away.    Good idea about using a ckt brkr instead of a fuse. Either the auto or the manual reset C/B is going to be better than looking for and running out of spare fuses (they're so final), especially if all you did was create an accidental short, say when connecting up.                        

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #9 - 05/21/7 at 15:26:55

I've never had a problem with the fuses on my v8000, and it has been swapped in/out of several vehicles now... two glass-type fuses right by the battery connection.  One on the +'ve, one on the -'ve.  (not normal convention... I forget the reasoning now... but someone told me and it made sense).  

Also... Ross suggested a heavy-duty trailer connector at the radio to make it easy to connect/disconnect... the Icom already has a connector about 6" away from the radio... makes wiring much easier.

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #10 - 05/21/7 at 20:37:04

Check out Anderson PowerPoles if you want some handy connectors (not just for radios!)... They have become THE standard in the ham crowd, especially with the "emergency communications" types. I use them on all my radios/powersupplies/gell cells and love them. I payed $10 for 20 connectors, if I remember correctly.

see http://www.powerwerx.com/category.asp?CtgID=1001 for further info/photos

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print