Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rule question... battery relocation... (Read 2301 times)
dtompsett

Ontario
rule question... battery relocation...
10/31/7 at 15:29:51

Figured I would ask here...

According to the rules, if I move my battery, it must be in a non-conductive box.  That was fine when I had a trunk, but now with a hatchback, I must follow the rule B-II-C-7(c)- if mounted inside the passenger compartment, batteries shall be those that are completely sealed or so designed or modified to prevent acid spillage.

In my opinion... ... batteries shall be ... designed or modified to prevent acid spillage.... I don't think i trust my ability to prevent a non-sealed battery from leaking.

So, that means investing in a sealed battery (AGM)... ie, Optima red/yellow/blue or anything similar.  (Cdn tire now carries a few fully sealed AGM type batteries).

Buy, if I'm running a fully sealed battery, do I still require the non-conductive box?  It probably makes sense as it helps protect the battery and covers the terminals... but "technically", do I still need the non-conductive box?

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: rule question... battery relocation...
Reply #1 - 10/31/7 at 16:10:05

Yes, you do. Even sealed batteries have to be in a box (the Planet car had to deal with this at Black Bear). A marine battery box works fine. The main main reason IMO is to prevent accidental arcs.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #2 - 10/31/7 at 21:31:51

Thats what I figured... might as well have the protection.  Plus,  I already bought the box... I had forgotten about the sealed battery rule until I checked last night.

IP Logged
Rob_Mackenzie
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 10/31/7 at 22:02:46

Doug, I have not heard to much about this new car. If this is a production car you can't move the battery from the original location. B-13-7(d).

Rob

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #4 - 10/31/7 at 23:22:49

Rob... easy answer to that... putting it in Group 2 because I can't verify that it conforms to production class.  Too many little things have been touched.  Last thing I want to deal with is a dispute because I didn't know.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print