HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amateur Radio (Read 3471 times)
jfitz
YaBB Newbies

Amateur Radio
11/30/7 at 04:45:27

After spectating Tall Pines for a few years I've decided to volunteer for the next one. I'm going to work on getting my license for HAM. My question is what kind of radios do you guys use? What band? 2m? 10m? What's the best radio for the bucks? Ok that was more than one question. Anyways, I appreciate any help.

Justin
  IP Logged
xrian

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ontario
Re: Amateur Radio
Reply #1 - 11/30/7 at 05:53:00

Hi Justin. That's great that you want to get your licence. I believe the club offers a seminar at some time in the year.
As for radios, you'll get a dozen opinions on make, just like cars, so best to do some research. Most common are Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom
2m is most common all around but a dual band (2m-40cm) is also very usefull and will allow band in band use as well (2m-2m or 40cm-40cm) and some will also alow monitor of 220 and more.

Ian Glyn-Jones
VE3HFD
Panach Rally Team
Fonthill, Ontario
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #2 - 11/30/7 at 08:30:10

I'll second what Ian said... everyone has their opinion on brand.

We tend to use 2m frequencies... the majority of repeaters fall into that range, especially the more remote ones.  As well, some of the events bring out a mobile 2m repeater that one of the clubs has access to.

For radios; I personally have an Icom v8000 for in-car.  Upto 75w output, coupled with a good antenna, I've overpowered stages before, and hit people who couldn't hear the repeater.  No dual-band option, which I might like to get later on.  Also gets weather band, and can receive well outside the 2m range.  For the price, it's a fantastic radio.  

I also have a Yaesu handheld, tri-band.  Too many features to list, and the majority I don't use.  5w max (I believe), and the duckbill antenna it comes with is useless for anything other than short range communication.  I picked up a 15dB dual-band mag-mount antenna and the adaptor to the radio, and it works pretty well for the low power.  I was using it during the friday shakedown to communicate with the organizers (had a question re. timing).

Watch for the RSO HAM radio course.  It's not a true course, in the sense that they expect you have already read the book.  The idea is you have read the book, played around with the Industry Canada exam question generator, and have questions you need answered.  We spent part of our 2-days going through the test generator, answering questions, and discussing our right/wrong answers.  There may also be local clubs that offer the course.

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 11/30/7 at 08:35:41

At the rallies we generally use 2 metre only to run the stages.  Some opoerators like dual band so that they can do cross-band repeating etc, but it is not required.

If you watch the Radio World sales, you can often pick up a top brand 2 metre mobile rig for $200 or a bit more.

The antenna is probably just as important as the radio for rally use.  If you get a 2 metre radio, I strongly recommend a dedicated 2 metre antenna with a 5/8 whip.  You can get such an antenna with a good strong magnet for about $125-150 max.  Try to avoid getting a 1/4 wave - not nearly as good in the woods.

RallySport Ontario will be offering a radio course in the New Year - dates not set yet. The course is tailored to rally applications.   It will cover a Saturday & Sunday - likely in Newmarket.  The course finishes with the test on Sunday afternoon.  The candidates' success rate has typically been very high.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #4 - 11/30/7 at 12:29:08

I will echo Doug's comments.

I have an ICOM V-8000 and a 5/8 mag-mount whip (Larsen?) and I can almost always hear and be heard. Great rig for the money. I received it for Christmas and I think the whole set-up cost less than $400 taxes in.

Like Ross said, shop the sales.

Dualband rigs with cross-band repeat are cool and they let you work outside the car, but I really only use my rig for rallies (2-3 times a year) so it just was not worth the extra money.

Do the RSO Course, I found it a great way to learn and had my licence in a weekend, but like Doug said you need to study the RAC book yourself extensively, in advance.

I managed to get a RAC book at Radio Shack, brand new, for $2.99. Some of them still have them in stock, but its been years since they sold them.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #5 - 11/30/7 at 13:30:03

If your main use is at rallies, all I can say is that I have never used the 440 band at a rally except for cross-banding to my handheld if I am outside the car. But because of bugs in summer and cold in winter, cross-banding is only really useful for events in Aug and Sept, effectively.  Smiley

Radioworld on Steeles near the 400 is having an end-of-year sales and several models of 2 metre mobile (50 to 75 watts) can be bought for less than $200, one model as low as $169. Historically speaking, these are a steal.  

Dual-band mobiles with features that used to cost in the $500-$600 range are now commonly available at $400. Great time to be shopping for a HAM radio.

I wouldn't be surprised if Durham Radio in Oshawa would be willing to match these prices.

Check out their web sites. Google finds them no problem.

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #6 - 11/30/7 at 19:08:32

Robert Roaldi wrote on 11/30/7 at 13:30:03:
I wouldn't be surprised if Durham Radio in Oshawa would be willing to match these prices.

Check out their web sites. Google finds them no problem.

Durham Radio has matched prices for me in the past.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
jfitz
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 12/01/7 at 14:41:42

Alright, thanks for all the replies. I've got the RAC book for studying so I'll get on that. I found the online test generator, so that'll be a help. Guess I'll wait for the RSO course.

Over the next little while I'm going to try and fab up a radio mount for the Dodge. This was supposed to be a project that was finished a long time ago. My 10m/11m jumbo radio sits on the shelf unplugged. Maybe I'll put both radios in and make the truck look like a GTA tow truck.  Grin

Justin
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print