Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2008 Maple Leaf Winter Rally (Read 11219 times)
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
2008 Maple Leaf Winter Rally
12/04/7 at 23:43:11

Good evening everyone,

Now that the 2007 ORRC series is concluded, it's time to start looking ahead to 2008. With that in mind, the Maple Leaf Rally Club is proud to announce the Maple Leaf Winter Rally! Returning to its roots, the rally will run overnight on February 16/17 2008 in the Bancroft area.

Most of the details are yet to be worked out, but expect a great overnight rally on great roads. While average speeds will be somewhat reduced from past years, this rally is sure to still be a driving challenge. In addition, there will be an element of navigation involved to keep the navigators busy. While not as difficult as a navex rally, proficiency with maps will be a valuable asset.

More information is to come as details are finalized. We look forward to seeing everyone out there for a great Maple Leaf Winter Rally!

Ryan Huber
Coordinator

« Last Edit: 12/11/7 at 15:59:42 by RyanHuber »  

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: 2008 Maple Leaf Winter Rally
Reply #1 - 01/01/8 at 19:56:11

As of Sunday afternoon. Bonus points if you can figure out where this control is Wink

I had hoped to have a little teaser video up too but my video camera died and I can't even get the tape out of it!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Ben
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 01/04/8 at 23:17:17

Wow, thanks Ryan, thats the 1st good news in 2008 to me!
Let me know more details and I will try to get the car ready for this event!

Keep us update

Ben

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #3 - 01/16/8 at 00:04:42

Good evening everyone,

Please note that the website for the Maple Leaf Winter Rally, including supplemental regulations and online entry/payment form, is now online at

http://www.mlrc.ca/MLWR/

Please note, entry is capped at 50 cars and start order will be first come, first served with novices starting first, then intermediate and experts. Please check the Supplemental Regulations for more information.

Get your entries in early!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #4 - 01/28/8 at 23:26:25

The Maple Leaf Rally Club is proud to announce a partnership with Sandvik Coromant to present this year's Maple Leaf Winter Rally

Sandvik Coromant is the world's leading manufacturer of cutting tools for the metalworking industry, with more than 25,000 products. In an industry where precision is extremely important, Sandvik and navigational rallying perfectly compliment each other.

For more information on Sandvik Coromant products, please visit http://www.coromant.sandvik.com/ca

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Christina
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 02/01/8 at 18:20:31

We are just 2 short weeks away from the rally, and we still need your help.  We need more volunteers to staff the check points.  As always, the rewards are personal in nature and we hope to make this memorable event for all.  Please check your schedules and if you have the time to come out, please contact me at MLWR.ChiefControlMarshal@canada.com.  To make this a success, we need you!

Grin

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #6 - 02/01/8 at 21:00:04

Christina wrote on 02/01/8 at 18:20:31:
We need more volunteers to staff the check points.  As always, the rewards are personal in nature and we hope to make this memorable event for all.  

I'm guessing that I'm not supposed to take that the way it sounds?   Shocked

J/K ... I'm already signed up for this one as a competitor!  If I find any insomniacs, I'll send them your way.

Stephen

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 02/06/8 at 22:27:39

Today I did a full run of the MLWR route checking some details for Ryan.  It is a great combination of excellent roads and the conditions are exceptional - beautiful snowy surface with large, friendly snowbanks. The snowstorm was just coming in as I finished. Entrants will not be disappointed.

Photos to be posted soon.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #8 - 02/15/8 at 20:35:19

If any competitors can bring someone with them to help out at checkpoints through the rally, I'll give them a discount on their entry. We're coming up about 4 bodies short to cover all the controls I want to use, so if you have a friend who'd like to see what the insides of a rally look like and doesn't mind sleep deprivation, please bring them along! Fire me an email, ryan.huber @ sympatico.ca Thanks!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #9 - 02/17/8 at 12:25:33

I hope everyone made it home safely. The freezing rain started for me about an hour from home, but no problems otherwise.

I really enjoyed working this rally, great roads and great weather. Ryan - great organization!

Grin to the team (#13) with the brownies and the team with the choclate bars. The volunteer workers appreciate it.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #10 - 02/17/8 at 13:45:01

Two thumbs up Ryan. Great route, great instructions, great conditions. Cheesy

Thanks to all the workers and all the competitors too. One can't exist without the other.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #11 - 02/17/8 at 22:30:57

Thank you Ryan and all the other workers and organizers. By far, this is the most fun I've ever had at a rally event. Those roads were awesome, and I can't wait until next year!  Grin

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #12 - 02/18/8 at 06:43:00

From the now infamous car #13  Roll Eyes ...

Thank you to everyone at MLRC and other clubs who helped out that night.  I know you were beating the bushes for everyone you could find to make it a good rally, and as competitors, we never felt the event was understaffed.  It takes a strange kind of person to staff CP's in the middle of the night, and we appreciate it.  

Getting slotted back into the rally right before Old Hastings was perfect.  I wouldn't have wanted to miss that.

Great route Ryan!  Opal (who baked the brownies) and I loved the roads.  

To Garth and the two chaps with the Jeep who tried so hard to winch us out... thanks!  And for letting my Navie use your hood as a tripod and your Aux lights for lighting... that was really great.   Grin

« Last Edit: 02/18/8 at 08:20:58 by Slowpoke »  

Stephen

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 02/18/8 at 08:37:31

As an insider on the Organizer team,  I want to congratulate Ryan on the great event he created.  Ryan put a huge amount of work into this and it showed.

Thanks to the workers who did an outstanding job.  As you know, we were short on workers but due to the incredible effort of those present, it worked.  Two teams just plain ran their a---s off all night and did four checkpoints.  All the others did three, two of those did them solo and Ryan himself covered two.  The one team, in rushing to a tight assignment, miscued and deposited their van in a snowbank.  We figured that was one CP that would not run, but be darned if they didn't stand out in the cold without a vehicle and pull it off.

I think it would be worth listing the teams that made this work so well:

Team 1 - Doug Hollands & Trevor Edwards
Team 2 - Doug Edwards & Donna Huber
Team 3 - Paul Henshall & Jonathan Strack
Team 4 - James Drake & Karl Ley
Team 5 - Dave Cotie & James Corrigan
Team 6 - Ross Wood & Christina Chinn
Team 7 - Mac Calder & Greg McGrath
Team 8 - Tom Hayston
Team 9 - Ryan Huber
HQ - Kym Prime
Scorers - Martin Loveridge & Rich Sullivan
QZ Patrol - Garth Thompson & son

BTW we did have a Sweep arranged with a winch but he did not make it due to last minute mechanical gremlins. After a car went missing for a while in Leg B, we felt very uncomfortable not having a Sweep, so Team 1 ran Sweep from there on in.  That is why the final checkpoint was not manned.

Thanks again to all the volunteers.

IP Logged
BTDT

Reply #14 - 02/18/8 at 11:47:49

I want to give great kudos to the competitors.  Early in Leg B, you were having fun in the woods and in the wee hours of the morning, round a corner and see what you think are two idiots standing outside in the cold, beside a ML checkpoint board, waving a flashlight to get your attention to the board.  After you shake your head a few times, blink your eyes a few times, you came to the realization that it was not a hallucination but yep indeed it was two idiots standing outside in the cold, beside a ML checkpoint board with no vehicle in sight (see previous message for details on that) manning a checkpoint.  After you allowed this realization to sink in, brought your vehicle to a stop and made you way back to the "idiots"- the barrage of questions started, a)  are you really a checkpoint? b) where's your vehicle? c) are you okay d) can we help? and the flurry of answers while manning one flashlight, writing stickers, logging times and handing out stickers - a) yes we really are a checkpoint b) up the road about 100 feet in the ditch -you can't miss it, c) yes we are okay and the organizing group and workers know what's happened, d) thanks for offering but we are going to need something much bigger to get us out.  Doug and I really appreciated your concern about us and offers to help.  Thanks to Ryan for loaning his mom his ski pants, toque and gloves so she didn't freeze too badly doing the checkpoint.  Thanks to Mr. local Tow Truck driver for hauling us out of the ditch and the best part was that the van suffered really only minor cosmetic damage and we were off in plenty of time to run our next two (out of four that night) checkpoints.
Would we do it all again?  Yup for sure - the rally must go on!
Donna and Doug
aka "the two idiots"

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print