Ryan do you use the PDR100 when you made the Bancroft rallycross videos

Thanks

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: PDR 100 / Chase cam
Reply #1 - 01/15/8 at 22:29:22

No, I don't. I do have the chasecam bullet camera, but I've been feeding its signal into a regular MiniDV camera. That said, my camera died recently, and instead of replacing it with another I decided to try something new. I wasn't willing to shell out as much as they want for the PDR100, so I picked up one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/497468-REG/RCA_X2400_X2400_Lyra_Personal_M...

Interestingly, 2 weeks ago it was $10 cheaper! Still, for that price, plus shipping and tax and a larger CF card, I'm still much cheaper than even the cheapest miniDV camera around, and I don't have to mess with importing video at real time, etc. So far the compression seems a little harsh, for the file size, but I've not had a chance to play with it in the car yet. Also, I don't really need broadcast quality, as I'm just using it to put vids up on the net. For the price, I couldn't turn it down!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: PDR 100 / Chase cam
Reply #2 - 01/22/8 at 17:52:19

OK, now that I've actually used it... My suggestion to anyone looking at getting one of these as a recorder... don't. It crashes a lot, refuses to start recording sometimes, the audio sync is awful, and the video quality is not anywhere near what you'd expect for 12MB/minute MPEG4 compression.

It works as a player alright, but I'm very disappointed in its recording capabilities, or lack thereof.

I guess I'll be investing in a new miniDV camera afterall, unless someone else can suggest an alternative, good digital recorder for not too many bucks...

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print