Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HANS devices and Canadian Rally (Read 10092 times)
brynepp

Who said trucks
can't Rally?

HANS devices and Canadian Rally
01/23/8 at 12:12:05

It looks like the sport model has been approved.

Please verify your HANS device with the following document:
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/9CC452C9104C1009C12573D80060A7E8/$FILE/...

and verify you instalation with the following document:
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/D05EDB3E8EF2FB81C12573150041C255/$FILE/...

As a reminder the HANS rule does not become effective until January 1, 2009

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: HANS devices and Canadian Rally
Reply #1 - 01/23/8 at 15:36:16

Yes, the new sport model has been FIA approved, and HANS is delaying shipping them because they don't want to have to ship them back and forth to get the certification stickers on them. I've had mine on order for a couple weeks now, and will certainly have it before Neige.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
STRACK

'55 Beetle (O\ l /O)
- 2000 GRP2 FORD
FOCUS

GTA
Reply #2 - 01/23/8 at 16:06:14

Hello Ryan,

Did you purchase a helmet with Hans Anchor/posts
Or did you get a 'Hans' Anchor kit for your existing helmet?

Jon

Jonathan Strack
VE3 ZWJ
WWW   IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #3 - 01/23/8 at 16:46:25

Hi Jon,

I got a Peltor G78 with the posts and intercom, from CSC Racing. Because this helmet comes with posts, they actually knock $90 off the price of the HANS because they normally come with posts. I decided to get a new helmet as well because my old one is getting kinda beat up, and the Peltor add-on intercom isn't very comfortable to begin with. I'm quite happy with the helmet, and will be happier when the HANS gets here!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
STRACK

'55 Beetle (O\ l /O)
- 2000 GRP2 FORD
FOCUS

GTA
Reply #4 - 01/23/8 at 20:29:25

I just bought a G-force helmet, which was stupid b/c i should have figured CRC would make the change to the hans device.  
  Hans Sells add on Anchors so you can upgrade your helmet to use the Hans device, but the Helmet manual  says if you alter the helmet in any way you void the safety classification.
  Do you know if CRC will allow this modification?

Jon

Jonathan Strack
VE3 ZWJ
WWW   IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #5 - 01/23/8 at 20:32:43

When you buy the HANS it comes with posts (unless you don't need them). Usually the place where you buy the HANS from will modify your helmet for you (I know CSC does), but I don't know what that does to the certification on the helmet. I think it's alright though, I'm sure there are helmets running around out there now with added on HANS posts.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
STRACK

'55 Beetle (O\ l /O)
- 2000 GRP2 FORD
FOCUS

GTA
Reply #6 - 01/23/8 at 20:35:40

Well that is good!
I dont plan on getting the hans until just before my first planned rally, but it's good to know i didn't waste my $$.
Thanks for the info.

laterdays
Jon

Jonathan Strack
VE3 ZWJ
WWW   IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #7 - 01/24/8 at 00:54:44

The jist of the drilling your helmet being legal boils down to the SNELL SA standards only require X part of your head to be protected. I believe it boils down to you can modify x inches from the bottom of your helmet without effecting the rating of the helmet.

Now, if cars wanted FIA approved manufacturer installed HANS posts, life would suck.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Alex Korovkine
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 01/24/8 at 14:47:49

Folks,
Since you already start buying HANS you probably know more than me.
Here are my questions regarding HANS and CARS regulations.
Do you have any explanation from CARS tech board why only FIA approved HANS devices will be recognized at Canadian Rally?
How CARS tech board can explain inconsistence between HANS, Helmet and Suit requirements.
And if CARS so stick to FIA regulations should we expect further change of requirements for crew safety equipments (only FIA approved nomex underwear and shoes allowed in a car on a stage e.t.c.) and for car equipment itself (FIA approved automatic fire extinguishing systems, only FIA certified roll cages e.t.c.).
Right now it seems like CARS start doing all possible to push away US competitors and jack up price of rallying in Canada.

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #9 - 01/24/8 at 16:07:41

The following is entirely what I believe to be correct or have been told by persons who are likely to be correct. Others could be mistaken! YMMV, don't trust me, etc!
Alex Korovkine wrote on 01/24/8 at 14:47:49:
.... FIA approved HANS devices will be recognized at Canadian Rally?
How CARS tech board can explain inconsistence between HANS, Helmet and Suit requirements.

The tech board did not make the decision regarding HANS, whereas it did make decisions regarding suit requirements. (I do not know how the FIA only roll cage padding falls into this)

Ultimately, the FIA dictates the parameters for the insurance provided to/by CARS.

Alex Korovkine wrote on 01/24/8 at 14:47:49:
And if CARS so stick to FIA regulations should we expect further change of requirements for crew safety equipments (only FIA approved nomex underwear and shoes allowed in a car on a stage e.t.c.) and for car equipment itself (FIA approved automatic fire extinguishing systems, only FIA certified roll cages e.t.c.).

FIA Homologated cages are not required, and older homologated versions (which have not yet been logbooked) my not necessarily be legal. Cage requirements have changed a bit, previous regulations where based around the FIA requirements at the time (as I understand it) anyways.

I have not heard anything about unannounced 2009 rules... Yet!
Over the next, say, 4 years, I'd be surprised if FIA homo seats and belts did not become a requirement... But lets save the hearsay to later in the year!

Jamie
Not a fan of this FIA malarky

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #10 - 01/24/8 at 16:40:24

I find the little things ridiculous... requiring FIA cage padding vs SFI cage padding.  All that nice new padding I bought is now essentially garbage and has to be replaced.

</rant>

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #11 - 01/24/8 at 18:26:02

One thing to note, any car logbooked after July of this year (I think) will actually require an FIA Homologated cage.

Jamie is right, CARS had no choice to go with FIA approved Head and Neck restraints, that came down from ASN.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #12 - 01/24/8 at 22:35:44

RyanHuber wrote on 01/24/8 at 18:26:02:
One thing to note, any car logbooked after July of this year (I think) will actually require an FIA Homologated cage.

Wrong, thankfully!

Quote:
All new vehicles with log-books issued after January 1, 2009 must be fitted with a
safety cage built to FIA Article 253 specifications or be FIA homologated under the
latest international regulations and accompanied by original certification
documentation (older homologated cages are not all valid for a newly built car)."

You try finding a homologated cage for a Scirocco, or rabbit, or fox Wink

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #13 - 01/24/8 at 23:13:15

OK, well, same deal, it's gotta be to FIA spec, which basically means you have to build it as if it was a homologated cage.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #14 - 01/24/8 at 23:56:44

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/994546964__AppJ_Art_253.pdf If your bored.

You'll recognize most of the graphics from the CARS rulebook Smiley
Its not *that* bad. Having said that, I fear we'll hit the bubble wrapping stage sooner then later Sad

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print