STRACK

'55 Beetle (O\ l /O)
- 2000 GRP2 FORD
FOCUS

GTA
Seat Belts + Hans
03/24/8 at 11:33:23

Hello Everyone.
Now I know that I could probably find the answer to this question in the CARS 2008 Rulebook, but I haven't gotten one yet and  I was hoping someone could help me out.

What's the deal with seat belts and the hans device?

Do I need special seat belts, example (sparco's http://www.sparcousa.com/pharness_comp.asp?id=580)

OR/  
The 4x strap system ( http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/D05EDB3E8EF2FB81C12573150041C255/$FILE/...)

OR/
Can it just be any 3" homologated belt?

I will be ordering belts soon, any insight into this will be very helpful.

laterdays
jon

Jonathan Strack
VE3 ZWJ
WWW   IP Logged
Anthony_T

Re: Seat Belts + Hans
Reply #1 - 03/24/8 at 12:50:20

Here's my quick response - until you get a response from an expert...

I don't beleive the rules require that you use HANS specific belts (I too, only have the 2007 rule book) - that said, if you're needing to buy belts at the present time, and you're buying your HANS device too (*hint - you should be), then you'd be better off buying HANS specific belts as the HANS is mandatory for 2009.

To my knowledge, the only catch would be that you won't be able to use the HANS belts without also using a HANS device.

WWW   IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #2 - 03/24/8 at 13:19:28

My understanding is properly mounted (eg. meeting previous regs for mounting and  crossed over if longer, as per that pdf) harnesses are fine to use with the HANS.

Anthony is also correct that you cannot use HANS specific belts if your not wearing the device.

No clue how SFI belts play into this one (but thats 2 year expiry vs. 5 for FIA)

You could email Ivan Butikofer for an official answer - that is, if he has it!

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #3 - 03/24/8 at 14:37:41

The major difference between a HANS belt and a regular one is narrower shoulder straps where they'd go over the HANS. This makes it somewhat less likely that the HANS will come out from under the belts due to mixed/secondary impact forces. Regular belts work just fine, but may have a tendency to hang over the edge of the HANS a bit. Proper mounting of the shoulder straps behind the seat is critical in either case.

That's the first I've seen those 4 belt systems with the body belts and HANS belts, very interesting.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #4 - 03/24/8 at 17:35:30

Just watch for those HANS specific belts.  For a long time, they were not FIA approved, and I haven't heard otherwise yet.  So unless that's changed, they're not actually legal in CARS.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
STRACK

'55 Beetle (O\ l /O)
- 2000 GRP2 FORD
FOCUS

GTA
Reply #5 - 03/24/8 at 20:36:19

I thought this would be an easy decision....  Sad

Jonathan Strack
VE3 ZWJ
WWW   IP Logged