Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Legality of after market Harnesses (Read 9699 times)
darryl

Re: Legality of after market Harnesses
Reply #15 - 04/11/8 at 18:51:37

Jeff_Hagan wrote on 04/07/8 at 12:30:55:
 While I'd sooner trust my life to a brand new 5-point harness than a brand new 3-point seat belt, I'd trust a 20-year-old unmaintained seat belt over a 20-year-old unmaintained racing harness.

Jeff, I’m glad you mentioned belt misuse and age.

I work for Transport Canada Road Safety Defect Investigations. In the next month or so I’ll be starting a research study on the effects of age and damage on passenger car seat belts. The study will be looking at clean aged belts to see what the current tension strength is and comparing to new belts to see if there has been any strength loss with time. The study will also be cataloging the effects of various damage/contamination to belts (e.g. Pinched, frayed, blood, mud, dog chewed, etc).
During the passenger car study, I have permission to run a parallel study on the age effect on racing harnesses. As we all know to well race belts cannot be used after five years. I want to take old belts and pull them to the point of failure. I will gladly share the results of the study with any racer that is interested.
So please keep your old belts no matter what condition they are in. Anyone who has old belts they would like to donate to the study it would greatly be appreciated.

Sorry to run of topic a bit. Back on the subject of race harness in street driven cars.

Back in 2002 I had a Talon that I raced in P4. It was my only car so I drove it every day. No stock belts and full cage. I was pulled over twice, once for speeding and once for entering a bus lane by accident.
Both times the officer said boy you must feel safe in this car. I didn’t get charged with anything. Although we did have a serious talk about the speeding. Ask me another time and I’ll tell you the whole story.
I think I got luck both times. You could probably argue race harness safety in court and win but why spend time in court.
Just put in the stock belts and wear them over your 5-points.

-Darryl

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print