Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wanted:  Subaru XT6 or Toyota MR2 p/s pump (Read 3951 times)
Anthony_T

Wanted:  Subaru XT6 or Toyota MR2 p/s pump
07/09/8 at 11:23:20

I am looking for a Subaru XT6 power steering pump - it must be the electric pump from the 6cyl car (unless someone can confirm that the 4 and 6 cyl cars used the same pump).  

Parts guys in North Bay have it listed in their catalogues.  Unfortunately, listed does not mean available.  

New or used are both fine.  I just need to find someone with one, that is willing to sell it to me.  

All leads appreciated.  Thanks, Anthony

« Last Edit: 07/10/8 at 11:50:24 by Anthony_T »  
WWW   IP Logged
Anthony_T

Re: Wanted:  Subaru XT6 or Toy MR2  p/s pump
Reply #1 - 07/10/8 at 11:49:26

A Toyota MR2 power steering pump will also work for what I need.  

Anybody?  PM or email onroute (at) mlrc (dot) ca

WWW   IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: Wanted:  Subaru XT6 or Toyota MR2 p/s pump
Reply #2 - 07/10/8 at 12:00:22

I detect an electric powersteering conversion going on.  You got something planned with that scirocco?   Wink

P/S rack, modified turn-to-turn gearing...

You going with an 'always on' system, or will you be retrofitting the angle-sensor and relay setup to control the duty cycle?

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #3 - 07/10/8 at 20:24:40

Yes Doug, that’s the plan.  I’ve been wanting power steering for quite a while.  I am sure you know first hand of the disadvantage arm-strong steering is when it comes to fighting rallyx ruts and such.  

I found the p/s rack.  I have a parts store willing to help me out and find what I need to hook up the rack and pump together – but their supplier was not able to provide the pump itself. I can get both the XT6 and MR2 from the dealer but they are 1200 and 700 respectively.  I could buy a HANS for that.  A new aftermarket XT6 pump is only 250 or so – that is if anyone had it available.

I didn’t plan on venturing into wiring in any of the steering feedback controls as don’t have one of the cars available to see how the sensors are fitted.  I’ll try the ‘always on’ system first and experiment from there if I see the need.

WWW   IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: Wanted:  Subaru XT6 or Toyota MR2 p/s pum
Reply #4 - 07/10/8 at 21:01:42

Anthony... I don't know any off-hand, but have you asked on some Toyota forums?  Just read a thread about someone who converted their older Audi 90q to an mr2 p/s pump.  Joined a Toyota forum, posted a WTB ad, and got a response from a dealer tech who had a used one sitting on a shelf.

And incase you didn't know... you'll need at 75A relay for that sucker.  Probably best to wire it in triggered on the ignition with an inline switch that can kill the relay incase you run into alternator problems.  

And while I've never installed one (yet), it sounds like if you found an MR2 or someone willing to remove the whole sensor, harness, control module, and pump... that it isn't that hard to retrofit it all.  With a little ingenuity of course.

http://www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/EV_PowerSteering_Install.html

http://www.evalbum.com/tech/mr2_powersteering.html

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #5 - 07/10/8 at 23:20:26

Good point - I really should go lurking on some Toyota forums.  
Those last two links are really useful.  They are what convinced me that I could pursue the MR2 pump as well.  Unless it is photography related, I am not one to try and reinvent the wheel. The XT pump seems easy as everything is self contained - there would be more assembly required with the MR2 pump but I get the impression that it is a better unit and easier to find.  

Off to the Toyota forums...

WWW   IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #6 - 07/11/8 at 11:19:32

Ya... I've heard of using the XT6 pump... but I've never seen it done, or seen a thread from someone doing it.  Seems the MR2 pump is the more common swap.

IP Logged
ktibi79

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 07/16/8 at 00:29:59

which model and year of the MR2  has the pump  what you need

send email please

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print