Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pines marshalling (Read 3151 times)
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Pines marshalling
11/23/8 at 17:54:31

At the Pines I saw Martin Loveridge from Ingersol (4-5 hours drive away) but never had a chance to talk, and I worked radio at 4 stage ends with a group of marshals from St. Agathe (6-7 hours drive), including Jetta and Yves. Folks travel all that way at their own expense, and that's just 2 of 200 stories.

If you stop to think about it, that's an amazing thing.

IP Logged
STRACK

'55 Beetle (O\ l /O)
- 2000 GRP2 FORD
FOCUS

GTA
Re: Pines marshalling
Reply #1 - 11/23/8 at 20:26:56

I agree.  It is a very amazing thing!!
this was the first time i have run an event of this size and was amazed at how many volunteers there were!  Everyone did a great job and thank you very much.

Jonathan Strack
VE3 ZWJ
WWW   IP Logged
grinthock_justin
YaBB Newbies

Rally Time/Track
Control

Bolton, ON
Reply #2 - 11/23/8 at 20:28:39

This is my second pines, it probably costs me about $500+ each year out of my own pocket or more depending on what supplies/toys/items I bring with me.

Do I care?  No, it's my way of having fun at the ROTTP, as far as I am concerned, short of the heated viewing area, I get a better view and better access than the VIP's...  Let's see, a short list of what I saw this year

- Personal access under the hoods of some of the top Rally cars including Ken Block, L'estage and others

- The best seats in the house for Golton (I was standing pretty much in the centre of the track

- A great spot and quite private at the end of Quarry Rd where myself and 30-40 spectators had a great time watching the event

- The chance to meet drivers at the banquet (albeit, I didn't stay that long)

- Great accomodations with other works at (sorry, the best place to stay is a secret! but it involves BACON!)

For the chance to access all of that, and have such a great time, I have zero issues spending the money, taking 2 days off work, and freezing my butt off.

BRING ON NEXT YEAR!

-- Justin - Rally Sweep Co-Driver VE3UDP/VE3SIP - Accredited Examiner
MLRC Amateur Radio Examiner
St John Ambulance - AMFR
2016 F-150 - Rally Service "MegaSweep"
2002 Impreza - Wreccie RallyX Car
  IP Logged
jfitz
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 11/23/8 at 20:46:55

The wife and I were having a discussion at dinner tonight about this very subject. I don't know what it cost us out of pocket and quite frankly don't even care.  We drove in from Niagara Falls and would do it all again next weekend if the rally needed us. This sport was built from people that worked hard for no money and it feels great to be a part of it.

Thanks to the volunteers and to the exec for making us feel welcome.

Justin and Tanya

Justin
  IP Logged
xrian

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ontario
Reply #4 - 11/24/8 at 13:28:11

Job well done Justin!!

Ian Glyn-Jones
VE3HFD
Panach Rally Team
Fonthill, Ontario
  IP Logged
jfitz
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 11/24/8 at 15:58:55

Thanks Ian. Perhaps this was the first year a bus was needed just because I was there. Anyways I only tended to the one incident so I cannot take credit for the other.

Justin
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #6 - 12/05/8 at 20:39:17

jfitz wrote on 11/23/8 at 20:46:55:
This sport was built from people that worked hard for no money and it feels great to be a part of it. Thanks to the volunteers and to the exec for making us feel welcome.
Justin and Tanya

I agree! Not a marshal, but enjoyed every single minute of the Pines, and am already signed on for next year!  Smiley

Jeannie

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print