Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
In car from car #6 at Tall Pines (Read 11336 times)
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Re: In car from car #6 at Tall Pines
Reply #15 - 11/26/8 at 10:33:45

about 1km from where he was off you will see some trees down on the left side of a R4, there was a piece of his bumper cover there, and when we came around that corner we saw block, in the same place matt barnes went off testing in 2005 i think it was, anyway, couldnt see the damage, doubt its too too bad, but the car was about 5ft down in the ditch

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Robin_Fleguel
YaBB Newbies

Visualize Whirled
Peas

Reply #16 - 11/26/8 at 11:24:12

I know it didn't seem it at the time, but holy crap is that SS2 video funny - I love the comments.  Thank you for posting it.

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #17 - 11/26/8 at 12:54:25

John_Vanos wrote on 11/26/8 at 10:33:45:
about 1km from where he was off you will see some trees down on the left side of a R4, there was a piece of his bumper cover there, and when we came around that corner we saw block, in the same place matt barnes went off testing in 2005 i think it was, anyway, couldnt see the damage, doubt its too too bad, but the car was about 5ft down in the ditch

That's true, that was the same corner I went off at a few years ago.  If I'd realized that, I would've mentioned it to him while the Talon was being extracted.  I'd be like: "Don't feel bad Ken, that corner is tough even for the best drivers!"

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #18 - 11/26/8 at 13:38:09

Matt, there was actually a noticeable opening of the trees there, John warned me that was where you went off and I shouldn't follow in your footsteps.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
TomH

Reply #19 - 11/26/8 at 21:29:46

I just checked out my photos of Burke on Egan Creek and he had just the left brake light working.

IP Logged
Eddie Fries
YaBB Newbies

Reply #20 - 11/27/8 at 00:06:49

RyanHuber wrote on 11/25/8 at 15:46:32:
Rumour has it that he had them disconnected, post tech. Yeah, nice guy...

Who informed you of this rumour ?

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #21 - 11/27/8 at 00:11:07

j_gardhouse wrote on 11/26/8 at 13:38:09:
Matt, there was actually a noticeable opening of the trees there, John warned me that was where you went off and I shouldn't follow in your footsteps.

Yup, this is where that opening came from:

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #22 - 11/27/8 at 06:55:52

Eddie, obviously this 'rumor' is just that.  Dont worry, no hard feelings, and I do apologize for getting upset about it, at the time it was frustrating and during a rally you dont always think clearly.  

I am glad to have met you, you're a great team and I hope we can mix it up somewhere at a rally in the US next year!

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Eddie Fries
YaBB Newbies

Reply #23 - 11/27/8 at 10:03:22

John_Vanos wrote on 11/27/8 at 06:55:52:
Eddie, obviously this 'rumor' is just that.  Dont worry, no hard feelings, and I do apologize for getting upset about it, at the time it was frustrating and during a rally you dont always think clearly.  

I am glad to have met you, you're a great team and I hope we can mix it up somewhere at a rally in the US next year!

John, I can understand being upset getting stuck behind someones dust. We were unaware that our lights had failed.

We are also glad to have met you and Ian hope to see you guys south of the border next year. Hopefully somewhere warmer.

A note to the following, Ryan Huber, Justin Grinthock, Do-It-Sidswayz and Nhibbert. In case you did not notice we stopped to assist car # 3, who were off the road and still in the car. This is a scary situation to come across on a stage not knowing if the crew are O.K. Thankfully in this case they were O.K. and we proceeded to the Finish of the stage.

How you can turn this serious incident around and come up with a crazy theory that we tried to block John on the stage is absolutely stupid.

I don't know how you guys think but the last thing to enter a normal mind in this situation would be the blocking of a  following car.

Who in their right mind would switch off brake lights and run the risk of another competitor crashing into them.

IP Logged
Lensman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #24 - 11/27/8 at 11:34:08

Guys, I had to sign on here as I was blown away by what I was reading! It’s obvious that you all don’t know Seamus Burke very well.  If you think for one second that Seamus Burke or John Buffum would go to a rally and rig anything you’re very wrong, I am sure they had more pressing issues to worry about.
More concerning that a safety steward from the rally is here on line feeding into the theory is just wrong!!!
If anything I think that the brake lights were stuck on, I have a picture as Seamus turned down into the tight section of the peanut and the brake lights were on, also @ 6:21 in the video as John stopped behind Seamus the brake lights were clearly on. I have a picture of Seamus later in the day with only one brake light much like Pat. Did he have a switch for the left and right?? come on!
Seamus has been rallying for 30 years, hands up how many people ever caught Seamus Burke on a competitive stage, the only reason that John was so close behind Seamus was because he stopped to assist Block who was nowhere to be seen when Burke and Fries arrived.  
Regardless it was my first time at the Pines, it’s a great Rally. We hope to see a few more Canadians down state side in 09.

Neil McDaid

IP Logged
Do_It_Sidewayz

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 11/27/8 at 14:33:17

I'm not saying Seamus has a switch!  just that it was a trick a pile of people did in the past!  It's fun to fuel the fire sometimes Wink

Brake lights stop working...as i said it happened to me at pines 2007.

and in the video...it wouldn't have mattered if the lights didn't work..you couldn't see them anyways, too much dust/snow/etc.

and well..John wasn't close enough anyways Wink

IP Logged
NMathew
YaBB Newbies

2 Brits Racing

Reply #26 - 11/29/8 at 10:41:31

Not to keep this going because I think it's pretty much put to bed now, but I can understand why John would be frustrated in the stage if he couldn't see brake lights.

Having said that it wouldn't really make sense to me that someone who has been rallying for years (lots of them apparently), who is a hell of a driver, would need to do something like that. Why spend a 6 figure number on a car to have someone rear end you in a stage?

Congrats on the finish Seamus. I was hoping you wouldn't get the time reversed so we could 'luck' our way in to a podium finish, but really can't complain about being beaten by an obviously faster driver/car!!

All I can attest to is that when we pulled up to the night stages with Seamus a few cars ahead he had brake lights working.

Great job to all involved for the event. It was a lot of fun for a Pines first timer. Thanks to John V for making sure we stayed on the road. Seemed like John was going to be very mad if we didn't finish. Afterall he wanted his starter back in one piece so he could get home!!

Thanks John and everybody from Planet Motorsport for keeping us going!!

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #27 - 11/29/8 at 10:57:55

Perhaps we should all run brighter brake light bulbs in snow events?  Or those red rear fog lights like they run in some countries.  This can't be the first time that one couldn't see the brake lights of the car they caught up to in a winter stage.      

WWW   IP Logged
Robin_Fleguel
YaBB Newbies

Visualize Whirled
Peas

Reply #28 - 11/29/8 at 11:09:25

Anthony_T wrote on 11/29/8 at 10:57:55:
Perhaps we should all run brighter brake light bulbs in snow events?  Or those red rear fog lights like they run in some countries.  This can't be the first time that one couldn't see the brake lights of the car they caught up to in a winter stage.      

I dunno ... rallying wouldn't be rallying if stuff like this didn't happen from time-to-time.
Robin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print