Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MLRC Mini Rallies (Read 3468 times)
Yopofun

Owen Sound
MLRC Mini Rallies
12/08/8 at 18:55:01

Hey,

I was just wondering if any of you have done the Mini Rallies through MLRC?

I'd like to try my hand behind the wheel this year but would like kinda like a little more information about the rallies, such as how they are scored, and does the navigator get a map and directions of where they have to go, or do they have to write down their own directions?

I also noticed on the the MLRC site, it said that the mini-rallies are April to October, but on the RSO site, it says that there is on Jan 19...are they different rallies, or just changing it up for '09?

I have messaged minirally (at) mlrc (dot) ca, but never got anything back, so I thought I'd ask you anyone on here.

Any help is appreciated.

Tim,

Tim
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Re: MLRC Mini Rallies
Reply #1 - 12/08/8 at 20:36:33

Hey Tim,

I think it was me who replied to your post on CASCOR.

email ken nazeer (his email is ken *underscore* nazeer @ yahoo DOT CA)

We'll be updating the website as soon as we get all the info sorted out.

There is one in January, I can confirm this....

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #2 - 12/08/8 at 23:43:52

Thanks again for another update! Gotta love multiple forums haha.

Tim
  IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #3 - 12/09/8 at 13:07:04

Hey, I got a hold of Ken, and was given the following information about the mini rallies, so I thought I'd post it up in case there is anyone else that might be new to the sport and is looking for some answers.

The Mini Rallys are navigational events and the objective is to drive precisely based on the instructions and follow them completely. Here is how it works:

• Each team receives the instructions a minute or two before they start the rally. This includes maps, special instructions and basic educational information.
• They must then follow the instructions to drive the exact route of the rally.
• They must also maintain the required average speeds and must pause at major intersections as required.
• Along the route, at unknown locations, will be the checkpoints. If the team arrives at the checkpoint too early or too late, they get a penalty.
• The team with the fewest penalties at the end of the rally wins the event.

Thanks again Ken and hope to make it out to a couple of the meets : D

Tim
  IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #4 - 12/09/8 at 13:18:31

Yopofun wrote on 12/08/8 at 18:55:01:
Hey,

I was just wondering if any of you have done the Mini Rallies through MLRC?

Yep.  I did a bunch of them back in the day.  These days, if you see me at one now, I'll usually be working a checkpoint.

Yopofun wrote on 12/08/8 at 18:55:01:
I'd like to try my hand behind the wheel this year but would like kinda like a little more information about the rallies, such as how they are scored, and does the navigator get a map and directions of where they have to go, or do they have to write down their own directions?

Here are the basics:

- at the start (literally - you get to see the instructions for the first time a minute before you're due to leave), you get a set of instructions; they'll include a map of the rally area (the end of section map).

- the rally is divided into sections, usually five or so.  Each section will have a different style of instruction.  Usually, the first section will be dead simple (since it includes the odo check, which lets you figure out how off your odometer is for the rest of the rally) and the others will be puzzles that your navigator has to figure out.

- while you're figuring out which way to go, you're also trying to figure out how fast to go: the instructions will give you an average speed to maintain (always below the speed limit).  For your first few rallies, don't worry about speed too much; if you drive just under the speed limit and don't get lost, your score will be decent.

- in the midst of all this driving around and figuring out where you're going, there are checkpoints.  You won't know where they are ahead of time; you just drive past, pull over, and the checkpoint workers will give you the time you passed their board and a new time that you're due to leave the checkpoint.

Running out of room... continued in part 2...

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #5 - 12/09/8 at 13:24:51

... continued from above...

- your score for each checkpoint is the difference between when you were supposed to arrive at the checkpoint and when you actually did.  Your score for the whole rally is the total of all your checkpoint scores and the lowest score wins.  Early and late counts the same; IOW, if you're two minutes late at checkpoint 1, you can't make this up by being two minutes early at checkpoint 2; if you did that, you'd end up with a score of four minutes for those two checkpoints, not zero.

So, that's basically it.  When you start out, the main goal is to have fun and not get lost.  As you get more experience, you can start to worry about timing.

And the navigational puzzles don't need a math degree or anything like that.  Especially in the beginner class, they start out fairly simple at the beginning of the year and get a bit more complex with each event.  Also, if you arrive early and tell the folks at registration that you've never rallied before, there will usually be an experienced rallyist who can sit down with you, explain how things work, give you some tips, and answer any questions you have.

WWW   IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #6 - 12/09/8 at 13:56:44

Hey Jeff, sorry about the low character limit - I've changed that, by ten fold Smiley

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #7 - 12/09/8 at 17:31:03

j_gardhouse wrote on 12/09/8 at 13:56:44:
Hey Jeff, sorry about the low character limit - I've changed that, by ten fold Smiley

oooOOOooo... luxury!  Cheesy

Thanks, Jamie!

WWW   IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #8 - 12/09/8 at 21:42:20

Thanks for all the extra info. I made it out tonight to my first MLRC meet, and got to meet some of the members and learned more about how everything is runs and when some of the new rallies are going to be. Can't wait to make it out to some of the events...now to just find a navigator  Grin

Tim
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print