Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rally lighting question (Read 8944 times)
nhibbert

Re: Rally lighting question
Reply #15 - 01/07/9 at 07:22:35

My understanding is if you have more than four bright lights (over 300 candela) you have to keep them covered when not in use so you don't accidentally turn them on when on a public road. The same goes for roof mounted lights. You can't use them on a public road so you have to keep them covered.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #16 - 01/07/9 at 13:08:30

gully wrote on 01/06/9 at 19:10:09:
I really think 300 candela is for total lights all inclusive

From what I can find out 100 watts equals 120 candela

So two high beam plus two driving lights at 55 watts each you will be pretty close to the 300 candela number.

Not necessarily.  It's not a straight conversion from watts to candela.  If you have a fog light, a driving light and a pencil beam all at the same wattage, they'll have different candela values.

A candela is a unit of luminous intensity, not luminous flux.  Basically, it's a unit of measurement for brightness across some angle and it depends on the output of your bulb as well as the shape of the beam.  For a given bulb, the narrower the beam, the higher the luminous intensity... IOW, the higher the candela rating.

So, the candela output of a light doesn't just depend on the bulb wattage or brightness, it also depends on the characteristics of the reflector and lens.

Also, I may be wrong, but I believe that the 300 candela value is for a single light, not all of them.  I think the idea behind the wording used is to exclude marker lights, turn signals, etc., from the number of lights that count toward the four.

WWW   IP Logged
MN
YaBB Newbies

Mississauga
Reply #17 - 01/07/9 at 14:15:42

Hmm … interesting. IMO, keeping them covered saves you the hassle of being stopped and questioned by a “curious” officer. However, you can’t get ticketed for having them on your vehicle. Angry I mean c’mon, some Jeep Liberty models come with a roof light rack straight out of the assembly plant. Security vehicles have spotlights, similarly, so do tow trucks and buses. Tractors have a pair facing the rear for backing up trailers at night. I’ve seen a guy get ticketed on the 401 for forgetting to turn them off, but not for having them installed. (Obviously commercial vehicle lighting regulations differ slightly.) Also, certain people have strobes that imitate emergency vehicle lighting, which they use for show purposes. There’s no law stating that you can’t have them installed, but there’s one restricting the use of them on public roads.
From what I’ve read and researched, the amount of extra lighting allowed on a vehicle, in my understanding, is free. As long as they’re turned OFF when using public roads. So, I think, as long as you stick by the rule that states "every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only", you should be good. The rest should be OFF, and then you could have your vehicle literally covered with them, so that when you do go off-road, onto a public parking lot or driveway, (or when no one is looking), you can become that moving sun light beam. Cool
Nonetheless, I agree, it seems way too vague when you hear stories like Anthony_T’s.

IP Logged
Jeff
YaBB Newbies

Pickering
Reply #18 - 01/16/9 at 12:09:09

How many front mounted lights can you have for a night rally?? I was thinking of putting 6 on the front of mine ( 4 striaght and 2 off to the sides) I know your not aloud that maybe on for regular driving but i was going to make the bar on the front removable so when i arrive at the rally I can just quickly mount them and plug them in!!!

Thanks.

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #19 - 01/16/9 at 21:47:15

Jeff wrote on 01/16/9 at 12:09:09:
How many front mounted lights can you have for a night rally?? I was thinking of putting 6 on the front of mine ( 4 striaght and 2 off to the sides) I know your not aloud that maybe on for regular driving but i was going to make the bar on the front removable so when i arrive at the rally I can just quickly mount them and plug them in!!!

Thanks.

Lawfully you are only allowed 4 front mounted lights - rally or no rally.
Illegally though, you can do whatever you please.  

WWW   IP Logged
brynepp

Who said trucks
can't Rally?

Reply #20 - 01/20/9 at 17:32:15

Anthony you are only the 3rd person I have heard this happening too.  The first was to I believe JB (yes that JB) in the 70's when some state trooper made him physically remove the lights from his TR8.  The second had 4 Bosch 225's and his Volvo High beams on for a little too long for the York region officer's liking.  

Personally I have been running for 10 years with uncovered lights with no issues and they have saved me from one incident with Bowinckle (a Moose for those too young to remember Rocky and Bowinckle).

Please tell me you got the ticket in the GTA I would certainly hope any intelligent officer in the more remote parts of this province would understand the value of the lights in saving ones life.....

As for the HTA I was sure it was in there maybe in the CHTA...  
more research required I guess.

Till then just remember to have those kill switches installed and working...

Bryn

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #21 - 01/20/9 at 19:05:15

brynepp wrote on 01/20/9 at 17:32:15:
Please tell me you got the ticket in the GTA I would certainly hope any intelligent officer in the more remote parts of this province would understand the value of the lights in saving ones life.....

I actually picked up an off-duty police officer one VERY cold night a couple winters ago.  (His diesel Jetta had conked out on the way home... north of Norwood... around 11:30pm)  I was in the rally beater... rally computer, 4 Bosch 225's, stripped interior (stock seats and belts).  His house was only a few km's away on a sideroad... when I turned on the big lights, he commented on how nice they were and how well they lit up the road.  I mentioned what they were used for, how they were wired into the high beams, etc... and he said "If I ever pulled you over at night, I wouldn't have a problem with these at all".  That was when I discovered he was an off-duty cop.   Roll Eyes

They aren't all bad.

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #22 - 01/20/9 at 22:46:00

Bryn, I am glad to hear I am only the 3rd person you've heard of this happening to.  This happened in Parry Sound district, almost 10 years ago.  Hopefully they've stopped caring.  I just wish I'd looked up the laws Before installing the lights.  At least I'd of known what 'could' happen.  

Funny you mention Buffum being told remove his lights on the spot.  I actually offered to do this very thing - Didn't help unfortunately.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print