Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2009 Maple Leaf Winter Rally - February 21/22 2009 (Read 6458 times)
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
2009 Maple Leaf Winter Rally - February 21/22 2009
01/20/9 at 21:36:22

Welcome to the 2009 Maple Leaf Winter Rally! Held in the late evening and early morning of February 21st/22nd (overnight), this roughly 400km event will start and finish in Bancroft, Ontario.

Once again returning to familiar roads in the Bancroft area, and running all night, this rally will feature many great roads and simple Navex instructions with an emphasis on maps and navigation. Instructions will be just challenging enough to keep navigators interested, while drivers enjoy the great roads of the area.

To quote a prominent competitor from the 2008 event, this rally is "a greatest hits of winter rallying in Ontario." Don't miss out!

Registration will open at 8pm on February 21st at the Fish and Game Club, just south of town on Highway 62. Car 0 start time is 10pm, and finishes about 6am. Following the finish, an awards breakfast will be provided.

Please check the website shortly for supplemental regulations, online entry forms, etc.

We look forward to see all of you at another great Maple Leaf Winter Rally!

Ryan Huber
mlwr@mlrc.ca

Oh, and just as a teaser...

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: 2009 Maple Leaf Winter Rally - February 21/22 2009
Reply #1 - 01/26/9 at 20:49:31

Good evening everyone!

I just wanted to send a quick note that the event website is fully updated with the supp regs and online entry form. We've even had our first entry, congrats to Bryce and Derek!

Please check out http://www.mlrc.ca/MLWR/index.html and enter today!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #2 - 02/16/9 at 12:27:52

Hey Ryan, what are the road conditions around Bancroft right now after the warm spell?  I'm guessing frozen mud ruts with ice in low ponits...?  

With the Legacy I have the choice of worn 14" Snow Blizzaks that might do better in gravel, or nearly new 17" Blizzak WS-60's which would probably be better on ice.  Just wondering which way to go... leaning towards the ice tires.

Stephen

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #3 - 02/16/9 at 12:32:19

Hi Steve,

I'm hoping some pictures from the rallycross get posted soon, as I haven't been up there or seen pictures since before the thaw. I don't think they got it as bad as we did down here though. Also, if the forecast for wed-friday holds, they're going to get a decent bit of snow that will make it interesting. I don't really know what to suggest Steve, sorry.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 02/17/9 at 07:54:49

The roads are fine - checked out a few on Sunday.

The ground did not thaw out all in the warm spell last week; in fact the RallyCross course was perfect. The snowbanks are still substantial.

All the public roads are well maintained and sanded. With the snow predicted, conditions should be ideal.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #5 - 02/17/9 at 20:29:42

Well folks, with less than a week until this year's Maple Leaf Winter Rally it's time to get your entries in! While the snowbanks did suffer a bit with last week's thaw, the forecast for the next few days couldn't be better with snow every day before the rally. If you're planning to attend but haven't entered yet, please take the time to fill out the online entry form ASAP. Even if you intend to pay at the event, you may fill in the "pay by cheque" option. We'd like to firm up the numbers for the breakfast banquet after the rally.

Looking forward to seeing everyone out there this weekend!

Ryan Huber
Coordinator, Maple Leaf Winter Rally

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Ben
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 02/20/9 at 10:58:33

Any Update on road condition???
Weather seems good this year... wish we have enough snow  Grin

Ben

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #7 - 02/20/9 at 11:05:10

On monday when the greencrew did their thing they found mostly bare, frozen gravel with icy patches. It's been snowing for the last few days up there though, so things should be more consistent. That said, you're not going to want to visit the snowbanks, they're liable to be very hard. Still, it's guaranteed to be a nice drive through the woods!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #8 - 02/20/9 at 14:21:40

Bancroft weather tends to be much like North Bay. Here we have had approximately 20 cm of snow over the last 2 1/2 days.

So your are likely to find freshly plowed roads with an initial soft snow bank, but then it will be ROCK hard due to melting and refreezing. Stay out of the banks, if you like your car!

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #9 - 02/21/9 at 08:28:34

Environment Canada is calling for 5 to 10cm of snow in Bancroft overnight and 5cm in the GTA this afternoon. People might want to take that into consideration when planning a time to leave.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print