Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
quick RSO rallycross question (Read 12734 times)
nhibbert

Re: quick RSO rallycross question
Reply #15 - 01/23/9 at 19:15:30

Anyone check the lost-and-found at the Musket?

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #16 - 01/24/9 at 09:24:44

Thanks Ryan.  I was going to bring the STi, but it's not quite ready.  I can't bring the Legacy... the rear struts are original and have 230,000km on them.  That has to remain my reliable daily driver for working in town.

Stephen

IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #17 - 01/24/9 at 17:51:56

I changed the oil in the WRX, and in this darn cold that's all I'm going to do. I'm ready to go, for better or worse  Wink

Bundle up!

IP Logged
unggthat
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 01/26/9 at 11:59:03

I think that helmet is in my basement here in Ohio!  One problem solved!  Alan Ockwell bestowed it to me a while back and it moved to Ohio with me.  If anyone wants to come to Ohio to pick it up, they'd be welcome to.  I am hoping to get into the modest Ohio rallycross scene in the not-so-distant future, but if there's a need for it up north, I'll leave it with Andrew Harvey next time I'm up there.

IP Logged
Grant

Milton
Reply #19 - 01/29/9 at 13:42:26

again, looked through the rules first and didnt see anything about studded tires. are they allowed?

Live your dreams.
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #20 - 01/29/9 at 14:58:43

Grant wrote on 01/29/9 at 13:42:26:
again, looked through the rules first and didnt see anything about studded tires. are they allowed?

As far as I know... yes.  Rallyx is pretty much a free-for-all.  Guys run winter tires in the summer, rally winter tires in the winter, winter tires in the winter, rally gravel tires in the summer...

If you can get your hands on a set of studded tires, why not.  Generally speaking, the studs protrude so little, that they really won't do much at all.  Not like ice racing where the surface is smooth and hard.

Now... if you can get hold of some proper rally studded snow tires... tall and narrow... with some rally spikes... thats a different story.

Got a source for studded tires in Southern Ontario?  I'm still trying to find a stud gun to stud my own tires... since I live in Northern Ontario. Wink

IP Logged
Daniel Buehler

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 01/29/9 at 15:25:38

dtompsett wrote on 01/29/9 at 14:58:43:
Got a source for studded tires in Southern Ontario?  I'm still trying to find a stud gun to stud my own tires... since I live in Northern Ontario. Wink  

Yes. Northway Tire will stud tires for you. They are located in Schomberg, just north of hwy9 and hwy27. Tell them Daniel sent you. It's a family run shop - Great people! Lots of people were driving out to them from Quebec this year. They had the best prices on snow tires because of the new law.

IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 01/29/9 at 16:23:33

I would check with organizers about studded tires. My take would be as the rules don't say you can then you CANNOT

Depending on  track conditions there could be a considerable advantage

I would not assume from anything posted here that you can until Series Organizer give his blessing

Pete g

Pete G
  IP Logged
James Drake
YaBB Administrator

Ontario
Reply #23 - 01/30/9 at 10:02:03

STUDDED TYRES.

These are NOT allowed.

We are sanctioned by RSO and CARS and they are not allowed under their rules and then not under our rules.

Thank you
James

James Drake

MLRC Membership Chairman
MLRC Rallycross Coordinator
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #24 - 01/30/9 at 11:21:51

hypothetical question... but if one was to hold a rallyx (or a performance rally) in Northern Ontario, sanctioned under RSO/CARS rules... would studded tires be permitted?  

Another...  if a navigational rally was organized in Northern Ontario... technically, there is no reason why a vehicle registered in Northern Ontario couldn't run studded tires.  But a vehicle from Southern Ontario... it's questionable.  Studded tires are permitted in Northern Ontario, and northern Ontario vehicles are permitted to drive into Southern Ontario with studded tires (except in navigational rallies, where an organizer can say "no studded tires allowed") ... but is a vehicle from Southern Ontario permitted to run them in Northern Ontario?  

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #25 - 01/30/9 at 17:13:35

I don't the law makes provisions for a vehicle from S.Ont to run the studded tyres while in N.Ont.  Maybe I'm wrong - I'd love to be wrong on that point.

As for entering rallies using studded tyres.  Even though it may be legal for residents of N.Ont to use them on streets anywhere in the province - I think it would be unsportsmanlike to exercise this recently granted privilege in an event.  If the laws were the same for the entire province then I think it should be permitted.  (I hope someone is lobbying the gov't to allow the "new" studs to be used in all of Ont.)

signed frustrated N.Ont resident stranded in Toronto.

Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
Grant

Milton
Reply #26 - 01/30/9 at 18:34:59

James Drake wrote on 01/30/9 at 10:02:03:
STUDDED TYRES.

These are NOT allowed.

We are sanctioned by RSO and CARS and they are not allowed under their rules and then not under our rules.

Thank you
James

cool, thanks for the reply james. im just trying to explore ways to make my crappy tires actually get some traction for the next rallycross. guess ill just have to drive better  Wink

Live your dreams.
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #27 - 01/30/9 at 18:59:07

Anthony_T wrote on 01/30/9 at 17:13:35:
I don't the law makes provisions for a vehicle from S.Ont to run the studded tyres while in N.Ont.  Maybe I'm wrong - I'd love to be wrong on that point.

As for entering rallies using studded tyres.  Even though it may be legal for residents of N.Ont to use them on streets anywhere in the province - I think it would be unsportsmanlike to exercise this recently granted privilege in an event.  If the laws were the same for the entire province then I think it should be permitted.  (I hope someone is lobbying the gov't to allow the "new" studs to be used in all of Ont.)

signed frustrated N.Ont resident stranded in Toronto.

Anthony

I was always looking to take advantage of this, even if Anthony thinks it is unsportsmanlike  Grin, however I think if you check RSO rules they are not permitted regardless of where you live OR where the rally is run.

On Doug's point, I think the ability to run studs legally is based on the owner's address. If N. Ont. legal, if S. Ont. illegal.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #28 - 01/30/9 at 20:09:46

I think as long as your not running these puppies, you'll be okay... If your using proper street studs, its unlikely it will go unnoticed (on the road, not the track, Dave Wink)

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Grant

Milton
Reply #29 - 02/01/9 at 22:36:02

oh my god. how badass would you feel rolling up to a rally with those? 150 for the set is pretty cheap too

Live your dreams.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print