Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RALLYCROSS!!!!! (Read 7266 times)
Donnie

RALLYCROSS!!!!!
02/21/9 at 12:53:15

Hi everyone i am new to rallycross and have a couple of questions with regard to tires that i would like to post,I ran in January and February and enjoyed the racing very much, the tire answer was quite easy to come up with, good winter tires and tractionize the crap out of them.Now i can foresee the summer being quite a different story gavel, sand, mud etc..My question is this?Considering the fact that i run on a shoe string budget and can't afford or have access to proper gravel tires is there a reasonable alternative to this problem?? Also I'm limited with regard to size also 175/70r14 to 185/60r14 is about all i can use and still have full travel in the suspension department????I would appreciate any input you fella's can give Donnie Smiley

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Re: RALLYCROSS!!!!!
Reply #1 - 02/21/9 at 14:20:22

Snow Tires (not Ice Tires), something with a open tread pattern. Don't tractionize them. Tubes work out well and higher pressures to stop the soft sidewalls from rolling over.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #2 - 02/21/9 at 15:29:00

Try scouting a few wrecking yards like Standard Auto Wreckers in Toronto for a set of use winter tires. You might luck out and find a wrecked car that has four usable snow tires already mounted on rims that fit your car.

In the past I've used a set of old Hakka's (mix of H1's and H2's) with tubes in them. Prior to putting tubes in I would pull a tire off the rim at almost every event.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #3 - 02/21/9 at 17:22:31

I ran my first year with my fathers car on old yokohama Ice Guards. Big heavy VW sedan.

Never got a flat!

On the other side, someone (James, I think Wink ) hit something hard enough to break a cord on a new Perelli gravel tire last summer...

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #4 - 02/21/9 at 18:01:17

What kind of pressure we talking about 40+psi?????

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #5 - 02/21/9 at 18:08:02

42 front. 40 rear. (Passat)

Probably like 34 for the gravel that got foobar'd on my tiny shitbox rally car. I just gave away/sold off all my unneeded 14" snows and gravels, too bad!

IP Logged
STRACK

'55 Beetle (O\ l /O)
- 2000 GRP2 FORD
FOCUS

GTA
Reply #6 - 02/21/9 at 20:14:54

i say you best bet is to buddy up with a rally team.
They always have used gravel tires.
I spent $200 for my four Hankook Gravel tires and they were  basically brand new.  I think they had 20 stage KM on them.
and after 4x rallyX they still look brand new.

Jonathan Strack
VE3 ZWJ
WWW   IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #7 - 02/21/9 at 20:23:40

+1 vote for the tire tube!

I just started racing in the Rallycross' this year, and both the January and February event, I got a flat from separating the rubber from the rim. I even had the wheels running 40 PSI

Here's an interesting link I found about running tubes though. As long as its not for a daily driver, I don't see there being any issues if there's much truth to the article.

http://www.wheels.ca/article/227845

I've heard good reviews for the Tirecraft in Toronto, and they sell tire tubes last I heard as well if you're looking to pick up some.

Hope to see you out July 26th for the next races!

Tim
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #8 - 02/21/9 at 21:21:11

FourStar has tubes AND gravel tires AND they sponsor the rallycross series! Tubes are like 8$ for a 13/14 and 11$ for a 15 IIRC.

From what I've been told, as long as you install the tubes properly, and don't run LOW tire pressures, its a non issue.

Jeff @ tirecraft pimps all the street stud and Menard studded tires and such for the Magnum ice racing series in Minden. He certainly knows his rubber.

IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #9 - 02/21/9 at 22:00:34

So Jamie how about a price on those gravel tires????? 175/70r14 to 185/60r14

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #10 - 02/21/9 at 22:42:04

Donnie wrote on 02/21/9 at 22:00:34:
So Jamie how about a price on those gravel tires????? 175/70r14 to 185/60r14

They're all gone... Now all my money is in fresh rubber  Grin Shocked Huh (As a side note, I used less then 4 soft compound tires for over 1000 KM's of stages and 3 rallycrosses - yay for 70HP!)

Crap snows should be easy to find and do you well... You don't wanna know how much the soft Perelli's (my drug of choice) are now (Prices jumped alot from last year, apparently)

IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #11 - 02/21/9 at 22:49:43

185-65-14 Hankook W411 Snow Tires good choice??????????

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 02/22/9 at 18:58:14

j_gardhouse wrote on 02/21/9 at 21:21:11:
From what I've been told, as long as you install the tubes properly, and don't run LOW tire pressures, its a non issue.

Ice racers run as low as 15, but generally 17 to 23 without any problem for about 9 km ice track - so I do not see any problem there either. And during the summer rallyX I ran about 30-33 on my front Wallmart winter tires (I think they were KingStar) and on the back (winter Pirelli's). I just had to check here and there the front tires - sometimes the tube rotates a bit inside the tire if you brake hard or accelerate hard (?) (It happened about about twice so far).

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #13 - 02/22/9 at 20:02:32

The greater the friction between the ground and the tire, the higher the chances of the tire and tube rotating in relation to the rim and one another... Ergo, lower pressures are less of a big deal on slicker surfaces.

A little bit of slipping could be a small or big issue, depending on the tube/rim combo (certain rims have sharper edges around the valve stem hole... Speedlines for example I imagine would be unforgiving in this department.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print