Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newbie looking for beginner info on car specs (Read 3160 times)
fwdrules
YaBB Newbies

newbie looking for beginner info on car specs
02/22/9 at 22:24:53

looking to get into some rally driving myself.
i will be using a front wheel drive car tho. is there only a special division i am able to enter into.?

also i am looking for a site where i can find info on specs for a rally car to be legal for rally driving. like i mean legally fit for rally by the organization.

any help is much appreciated. Smiley

IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Re:  newbie looking for beginner info on car specs
Reply #1 - 02/22/9 at 23:03:16

Hey,

FWD falls into the Class 1. There are 4 Classes. Class one, which I already explained, class 2 which is rear wheel drive, class 3 is AWD, and class 4 is AWD with a turbo or supercharger.

As far as information goes for setting up your rally car for a race, it depends on what kind of races you want to enter. For the rallycross put on by MLRC, you just need a road worthy vehicle really. All the rules and regulations can be found at http://www.mlrc.ca/rallycross/rules.html

For other races such as the Tall Pines Rally, and other ones, there will be different requirements not only for your car, but for yourself in some cases, such as having to have competed in other races, or having specific equipment such as a Hans device.

Anyways, hope that helped out a bit.

Tim
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #2 - 02/24/9 at 18:56:50

If your thinking about performance rallying (Tall Pines, Black Bear etc.) the rules are on the Canadian Association of Rally Sports (CARS) website: http://www.carsrally.ca/CARSRally/Default.aspx?tabid=92  (Section B-II)

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
uglydogrally

Ugly Dog Rallysport

Ottawa
Reply #3 - 02/25/9 at 09:59:44

If you are looking at performance rallying, there are a few different classes too. Prod Sport keeps your car pretty much stock with the addition of safety requirements. Gr 2 for N/A 2wd cars, no performance restrictions and Gr 5 - throw a huge honkin unrestricted turbo on your car for this group. There is a fast 240sx looking for some competition in this class! Wink

Matt W. - MCO
mattw482   IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #4 - 02/28/9 at 09:38:00

uglydogrally wrote on 02/25/9 at 09:59:44:
If you are looking at performance rallying, there are a few different classes too. Prod Sport keeps your car pretty much stock with the addition of safety requirements. Gr 2 for N/A 2wd cars, no performance restrictions and Gr 5 - throw a huge honkin unrestricted turbo on your car for this group. There is a fast 240sx looking for some competition in this class! Wink

Can you be specific with regard to additional safety requirements Thanks  Smiley

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #5 - 02/28/9 at 09:57:42

The big thing is the roll cage. This has to be a properly designed and built cage, not a bolt-in piece-of-crap. That means ripping out or cutting holes in most of the interior. Other than that - racing seats and five point harnesses, fire extinguisher, safety triangles, etc. All the details are in the rules which I provided the links for earlier.

In general for RallyX and TSD rallys any street car will do. For performance rally you need a dedicated event car with a roll cage.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
uglydogrally

Ugly Dog Rallysport

Ottawa
Reply #6 - 02/28/9 at 10:01:34

It's all in the rule book. Free download!http://carsrally.ca/CARSRally/LinkClick.aspx?link=CARS_2009_En.pdf&mid=362

Roll Cage, FIA Approved Seat, 5/6 point harness, helmet, HANS, suit. I am sure to be missing something. Read the rulebook, attend meetings, ask lots of questios. Buy a built car and you'll save thousand$ or dollar$!

You need your license too, and to get that you need club membership, first aid, doctor to sign you off stating your physically fit, cheque for ~$160 and i think you need some TSD or rally-x events under your belt too.

Matt W. - MCO
mattw482   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print