Mods (Read 4451 times)
JFrancis
YaBB Newbies

Some day.. I will
rally

Cornwall Ontario
Mods
03/04/9 at 21:28:02

I'm looking to enter a couple of the smaller rallies (non roll cage) and i was wondering the rules on modifications. I'll be running my 93 accord which is stripped out full exhaust pretty much anything necessary is there but now much else. i want to know if it will be clear to race or will it be in another class? I'd like to know if it would be acceptable to go beyond what I've already done or if I already am past the maximum

1998 Dodge Neon
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Re: Mods
Reply #1 - 03/04/9 at 22:10:58

There are two types of rally events in which non-caged/non-logbooked vehicles are eligible to compete, TSD (Time/Speed/Distance, e.g. the mini rally series or ontario road rally cup events) and rallycross (Fourstar rallyx series).  In TSD events the classes are based on past experience rather then car preparation/modifications.  In rallyx the classes are determined by drive wheels only (i.e.:  stock and modified fwd cars run together in the same class)  Classes are as follows - Class 1: FWD (all) - Class 2: RWD (all) - Class 3: AWD naturally aspirated - Class 4:  AWD turbo

Hope that helps, Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
Grant

Milton
Reply #2 - 03/05/9 at 14:02:26

yeah, you'll be in the FWD drive regardless of what improvements in the car you make.

HOWEVER, it does say in the rules that if your car has an unfair advantage in your class... say you mod your accord into a 500HP turbocharged FWD monster, you may be put in the AWD Turbocharged class to even things up

but other then rally upgrades are fair game

Live your dreams.
  IP Logged
uglydogrally

Ugly Dog Rallysport

Ottawa
Reply #3 - 03/05/9 at 17:39:57

Your exhaust can't be a race exhaust in a TSD. It needs to be under a certain dB level. I think its in the rules for rally-x too, but not enforced at all. I remember a certain Cougar that had no exhaust at all. That was fun to watch!

Matt W. - MCO
mattw482   IP Logged
JFrancis
YaBB Newbies

Some day.. I will
rally

Cornwall Ontario
Reply #4 - 03/06/9 at 00:16:13

cool stuff. no i wont being getting that extreme but im going to be playing with the gears in a couple weeks once the snow melts and ill be looking to make this car as low end as possible so it may end up being unfair. i dont know. ill see what i have when im done thanks guys.

1998 Dodge Neon
  IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 03/06/9 at 08:51:00

For the rallycross:
Gears - you will probably drive the first and second all the way (perhaps a third just a bit).
Lowering the car - probably not the best idea, it is a bumpy ride. You might rather think about a skidplate (although a lot of guys do not have it).

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
JFrancis
YaBB Newbies

Some day.. I will
rally

Cornwall Ontario
Reply #6 - 03/06/9 at 21:24:29

well i had it lowered 2 inch's but i threw it into a corner so hard the side skirt (which is small stock) dug into the mud and my right side came off the ground. i was lucky not roll so its back to stock height id rather not take chances. i just got done school so once i get settled into a job ill be buying an sti. not sure if im going brand new or not. if i dont go brand new ill probably pick up someones old car with a spares package. my accord is the first car ive played around with so its going to be interesting to see how i do. had it 2 years now so this will be the last challenge for it. im hoping to get a couple wins before i move up to a subaru. andrew pinkers subaru was just on ebay. 50,000. didn't sell.

1998 Dodge Neon
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #7 - 03/07/9 at 07:17:31

Although no one has a dB meter at the RallyX events if you are so loud the neighbours a mile away might complain (i.e. open headers) you won't be allowed to run.

For RallyX you will want to bring an second set of tires. Tires and rims are the most common thing to damage. Getting a set of used winter tires and put inner tubes in them is best cheap way to get good traction. You might also want to think about a skid plate to protect your oil pan etc.. Not everyone uses them but they let you go faster because your not worrying about the bumps as much.

For TSD rallies any street legal car will do just fine.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
uglydogrally

Ugly Dog Rallysport

Ottawa
Reply #8 - 03/07/9 at 09:48:17

JFrancis wrote on 03/06/9 at 21:24:29:
andrew pinkers subaru was just on ebay. 50,000. didn't sell.

WOW! That dropped A LOT! It was originally up for $100g then dropped to 75k. I wish I had that kind of money to buy it!

Matt W. - MCO
mattw482   IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #9 - 03/07/9 at 11:35:39

nhibbert wrote on 03/07/9 at 07:17:31:
For TSD rallies any street legal car will do just fine.

Not completely true... my caged rally car is street legal, but I cannot enter some TSD events with it.  It depends on what the organizer requirements are.

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #10 - 03/07/9 at 12:16:41

uglydogrally wrote on 03/07/9 at 09:48:17:
JFrancis wrote on 03/06/9 at 21:24:29:
andrew pinkers subaru was just on ebay. 50,000. didn't sell.

WOW! That dropped A LOT! It was originally up for $100g then dropped to 75k. I wish I had that kind of money to buy it!

There WAS a reserve though, prolly at like 75k

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print