Send Topic Print
Light retrofit (Read 2554 times)
Dean Campbell
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Light retrofit
04/19/9 at 15:29:20

Hey guys,

I am hoping to do a retrofit of a mountain bike light to gain better burn time out of the battery.

Right now, it's a 6v 10W halogen bulb, with a NiMH battery the size of a cigarette pack. I get a little over an hour of burn time, and would like to get more. The industry now produces LED and HID lights that get big burn times out of small batteries, but carry a heavy price tag, so I am hoping I can retrofit for a lesser cost.

Any thoughts on how to get started on this project?

Thanks

Dean Campbell
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: Light retrofit
Reply #1 - 04/19/9 at 16:47:32

Well... HID means you're going with a 12v battery... and I don't think I've seen an auto kit that's under 35W.  Perhaps there are people out there doing custom stuff on their bikes.  

As for LED's... you're looking at a fairly high output LED, which is gonna produce some heat.  Fitment of the LED to the housing may be an issue.  

Perhaps there is already someone doing a retrofit kit for an LED to your headlight.  Could be as simple as swapping a bulb.

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #2 - 04/19/9 at 16:55:04

Dean,

Let me know what size the bulb is - it should say somewhere on it.

You may be able to find a CREE direct drop in, but running into excess heat is a huge issue as doug mentioned.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #3 - 04/19/9 at 17:39:19

I vote that you find a way to mount one of these on the bike...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=14084...

IP Logged
Dean Campbell
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #4 - 04/19/9 at 18:35:07

Here is teh maker of the light I have and their current line up. I've emailed them to ask if I can retrofit either an HID or LED setup, and naturally haven't heard back.

http://www.niterider.com/bike.shtml

I'll pull the light apart over the next few days and see what I can find in terms of a number. The Halogen gets darn hot as well...

Dean Campbell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print