Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lanark Highlands - no spectators? (Read 9707 times)
DaveP

Re: Lanark Highlands - no spectators?
Reply #15 - 05/06/9 at 21:29:29

Sorry guys, but I've got to chime in.

I do not think a few hundred spectators will make any measurable media impact/exposure to the sport. It just means that 300 hangers-on, will get their jollies and pictures. But 300 people trapsing through private property, or 150 (or more,) spectator cars plugging local roads may inadversely affect public attention. (Particularly during the early part of the year when soil conditions are still soft.)

I suggest that media exposure efforts be directed towards online information, blogs, and especially, traditional print media stories. Write a story, and submit it to your local regional newspaper. Be sure to include any local interest. i.e. local competitors, sponsors or whatever.

Twenty years ago, Ross Wood teamed up with Andy Browning, running a Corolla regionally and in selected national events. Andy was a very talented, up and coming young driver, from Mississauga. (Unfortunately, Andy died in a traffic accident.)

Ross and Andy implemented a media information programme feeding the local Mississauga newspapers with their progress. I dare to say, that programme was as successful to the sport in Ontario, as any national sponsor paid effort.

So if you are really interested in promoting the sport, get creative. Don't sit there and think that spectator numbers are the be all, and end all. The trick is to get the information, the stories, the interest, out there.

IP Logged
JFrancis
YaBB Newbies

Some day.. I will
rally

Cornwall Ontario
Reply #16 - 05/07/9 at 01:32:43

growing the sport is a good thing. and finding communities that understand the economic implications of such events especially if it grew to 40+ cant be too big a hurdle.

clearly the x games has the idea. while its not the rally we know and love its big and it draws attention and delivers a show. obviously we don't have deserts to build massive tracks but find a spot keep the event accessible to the grassroots and there's quite a few clubs in the toronto area that would jump at the chance to be apart of it and plenty of outside teams. the exposure of a big organized event would draw a crowd. with the right marketing it could draw  the spotlight. find a place and make it a prelude to the x games.  

i know im just going off here but it would be awesome and if we could find a spot i think its definitely possible. anyone know a huge open area that could house a track and spectating?  Roll Eyes

its a blast for us to watch cars pass a couple times and drive an hour to the next stage but not to most non rally fans. maybe take some pointers from some WRC videos and make a pilot. half hour on tv would be cool

1998 Dodge Neon
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #17 - 05/07/9 at 10:06:58

JFrancis wrote on 05/07/9 at 01:32:43:
growing the sport is a good thing. and finding communities that understand the economic implications of such events especially if it grew to 40+ cant be too big a hurdle.

clearly the x games has the idea. while its not the rally we know and love its big and it draws attention and delivers a show. obviously we don't have deserts to build massive tracks but find a spot keep the event accessible to the grassroots and there's quite a few clubs in the toronto area that would jump at the chance to be apart of it and plenty of outside teams. the exposure of a big organized event would draw a crowd. with the right marketing it could draw  the spotlight. find a place and make it a prelude to the x games.  

i know im just going off here but it would be awesome and if we could find a spot i think its definitely possible. anyone know a huge open area that could house a track and spectating?  Roll Eyes

its a blast for us to watch cars pass a couple times and drive an hour to the next stage but not to most non rally fans. maybe take some pointers from some WRC videos and make a pilot. half hour on tv would be cool

Threadjack

Have you been to the Rally-X run by MLRC? They have a good open area. Also there are proposed Rally-X at Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga) this summer and fall.

DC

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
JFrancis
YaBB Newbies

Some day.. I will
rally

Cornwall Ontario
Reply #18 - 05/07/9 at 19:40:16

no i haven't yet. stuck in NY. (moving the 29th) so we need to start promoting! hell probably half my face book contacts are in rally. i can just post a link and right there you have a bunch of American teams from the tri state area checking it out. i looked on their site but i didn't notice any date. is there an actual date considered or is this just an idea being thrown around?

1998 Dodge Neon
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #19 - 05/07/9 at 21:37:56

JFrancis wrote on 05/07/9 at 19:40:16:
no i haven't yet. stuck in NY. (moving the 29th) so we need to start promoting! hell probably half my face book contacts are in rally. i can just post a link and right there you have a bunch of American teams from the tri state area checking it out. i looked on their site but i didn't notice any date. is there an actual date considered or is this just an idea being thrown around?

The MLRC Rally-X is a series that is for sure:
http://www.mlrc.ca/rallycross/

The plans for Cayuga (TMP) are still in process:
http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16363&page=2

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Doug_Woods
YaBB Newbies

Quebec
Reply #20 - 05/08/9 at 13:06:31

Now, if someone happened to see me at the rally HQ, and happened to follow me when I drove away, about an hour before the start of the rally, then you might be able to see something in the forest, but only if you promise me that you will be on your best behaviour and follow my directions at all times.

Doug Woods

Two classes only- 2WD and AWD

IP Logged
1morelap
YaBB Newbies

Reply #21 - 05/11/9 at 05:16:09

Dave Cotie wrote on 05/07/9 at 21:37:56:
JFrancis wrote on 05/07/9 at 19:40:16:

The MLRC Rally-X is a series that is for sure:
http://www.mlrc.ca/rallycross/

The plans for Cayuga (TMP) are still in process:
http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16363&page=2

and of course the MCO will be hosting their Rally-X events again this year at Augusta Motorsports Park, check it out, it even has room for spectators!  Wink

http://www.mco.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9854

first event is May30th, just off the hwy 401/416 interchange.

Spectators did manage to find their way into the Lanark Highlands Forest and were eaten alive by blackflies or washed away by the rains.  Grin  

The list of first time rally volunteers was large for this one, good growth there and now that the organizers have shown the township, the locals and the competitors that they can host a successful event, they can add crowd control to the list for next year. Rally is in good hands,  congrats to the MCO for another kicka$$ event.

-Greg, www.mco.org
WWW   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #22 - 05/19/9 at 11:25:37

Doug, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to convoy some spectators in to Gemills/Lavant Mill road and for explaining about rallying. Among them was a young reporter who wrote about it in one of the articles on the LHFR.

As we couldn't have a specific spectator stage this year on the stage road itself, we set this one up. To date, we have had three stories in each of the local papers, The Lanark Era and The Perth Courier. And yes, Doug, you have been quoted.  Wink The final story in both papers included three or four photos each, and in their previous stories the reporters had taken the time to find out what we were doing, what it was all about, etc. So we have had good stories in the local media that let the community know what we were about.

Re having a spectator area, Craig and Robert have explained all about that. Perhaps those criticizing us aren't aware that this has been a *trial* year for the event -- the township is asking around to find out what people think of it, before giving their opinion as to whether it will be allowed to continue.

I felt from the start that we needed to do it simply and well, and to get people onside with it. And if that meant that our road did not easily allow spectators, then so be it -- for our first year.

If we get the okay for a LHFR 2010, we will be looking at what we can do better -- and differently.

Bottom line -- the competitors had a blast and our poor workers got soaked and bitten. We can't wait to do it again!  Smiley

Jeannie

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print