Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lanark Highlands - no spectators? (Read 9719 times)
ErikO
YaBB Newbies

Dork.

Lanark Highlands - no spectators?
05/05/9 at 06:25:28

How bizarre/dumb.

Does anyone have a reason as to why they aren't allowing spectators?

I hope they have lots of marshals at the start of the stages to send all of the pissed off fans home.

I was planning to bring a few friends and spectate, but I guess not anymore.

Erik

IP Logged
mattman_4444
YaBB Newbies

[url]http://operator
wear.ca[/url]

Re: Lanark Highlands - no spectators?
Reply #1 - 05/05/9 at 08:40:16

This year, unfortunately not.

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #2 - 05/05/9 at 12:45:44

I could understand why - but a backup plan might be a good idea.  Spectators are not always obedient.  

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out and what kind of precedent it sets.

WWW   IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #3 - 05/05/9 at 14:07:27

No permission from land owners = Trespassing spectators = grounds to disallow road permissions next time around.

So I'd say, as much as it sucks, follow the rules.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #4 - 05/05/9 at 14:10:58

Simple explanation, we're not trying to establish any precedent or end spectator support. It's this committee's first event, we didn't have much time, and we're constrained by a road in which it's almost impossible to find a clearing where we COULD put a spectator area.

Much of the adjacent land is privately owned and fenced with no access. We're looking into possibly making arrangements at a couple of spots for future years. The logistics will be difficult because there is not much room to park, so we'd almost certainly have to arrange bus service to any spectator area, there's no way to allow spectator cars into the road.

There was no time to make all those arrangements at this first event in the time frame we had. It's disappointing, we realize, but we couldn't commit to a spectator area this time and be sure that everything else worked out.

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #5 - 05/05/9 at 14:37:35

First, what Robert said.

It was announced a long time ago on the web that viewing opportunities were very poor, unless you signed up to work in the stage. We have about 60 marshals, most of them will enjoy seeing 5 passes of about 25 cars.  And then we feed them. Pretty good deal.

This is a new event, a new org team, a new road for OPRC, and a lot of details to hammer out just to run the thing the first year, only weeks after the snow has opened the road.  Our priorities/goals for the Year 1 of this event are to provide an A+ event to the competitors (the #1 stakeholders), and a safe event for all those involved. As we build a good relationship with the township and the locals, and landowners, we WILL try to open the road up to spectators.

If more people took the time to volunteer for an OPRC committee you'd find out quickly that no decision like this is taken lightly, they are debated at great length for more hours than it takes for you to drive from home to go spectating.  We never compromise on safety so something else had to give this year.  I wouldn't be so quick to judge us.

There are radio supervised locations along the route at publicly accessible junctions where people can probably get a glimpse of cars, but this is just a normal part of monitoring / blocking junctions.  There are absolutely no designated 'spectator areas.'  An example of this at Tall Pines would be the Detlor Road crossing, but the viewing at LHFR isn't as good as that at Detlor.  We don't make the roads, we just close them.

Craig Hamm
LHFR Clerk of the Course

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
JFrancis
YaBB Newbies

Some day.. I will
rally

Cornwall Ontario
Reply #6 - 05/05/9 at 14:52:12

maybe next year you guys can find a way to talk with some of the land owners about possibly if anything a couple spectator points for a couple $s a person which would go to the owners for allowing spectators to get a glimpse. to charge it would have to be a nice spot with a bunch of passes but hey its just a suggestion. i plan to race next year but if i were spectating id put up a few $ to watch.

1998 Dodge Neon
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #7 - 05/05/9 at 19:32:15

No spectator sounds like it makes sense.  Really, it sounds like it would make things way easier for all events.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #8 - 05/05/9 at 19:54:47

JFrancis wrote on 05/05/9 at 14:52:12:
maybe next year you guys can find a way to talk with some of the land owners about possibly if anything a couple spectator points for a couple $s a person which would go to the owners for allowing spectators to get a glimpse. to charge it would have to be a nice spot with a bunch of passes but hey its just a suggestion. i plan to race next year but if i were spectating id put up a few $ to watch.

The minute you charge money there is an implied higher level of liability. That is why most rallies avoid any sort of "admission". Even VIP programs only charge for the services provided, not for the spectating.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
ErikO
YaBB Newbies

Dork.

Reply #9 - 05/06/9 at 11:12:23

I hope you're joking Anthony.

I understand the reason in this case, if the private land is limiting access, etc...

Rally is the only sport that demonstates this type if ignorance to people who just want to watch the racing, and not have to worry about responsibilities or having to be stuck in a forest all day.

Perhaps this is the reason why rally in Ontario is barely getting any bigger. Alienating the people (and potential sponsors) from seeing the cars in action is the worst step you can take to build the sport. Seeing the cars in service, at the start on a ramp or driving by on a transit is boring.

If you intend on growing the event to be something great (and I've heard the roads in this area are great), you have to open the event up to people other than workers and competitors. They will not grow the event as much as reps from companies or sponsors or friends of participants. If using different roads or allocating marshals to crowd control (which at a regional rally, only requires 2 or 3 heavies) is the necessary step, then do it. The long term gain of exposing the sport to new eyes is greater than the inconvenience of having people standing at the side of a stage road.

"Making things easier", or "keeping things simple" are not good enough excuses. Do the hard work, and see the reward in the end. I understand the challenges of controlling a spectator area, but it should not be enough to write it out of the event.

IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #10 - 05/06/9 at 12:43:25

Hi Erik,

I understand what you mean. If nobody see what we do, then it limits how much you can grow the sport. If nobody is there to see, then how do you convince sponsors that rally is worth backing.

There are very few free public access events. There are things like public jazz festivals, and that Red Bull manned flight displays (great event, btw), and those events are basically funded by one or two large corporate backers and usually some government support in some form or another. But, by and large, everything else you have to pay to watch. For some reason, we have stayed away from paid admission in rally.

It would be an interesting experiment to try. Offer paid-for admission to a spectator area, say for $10 (or $20), and see who shows up. (Imo, $10 is a trivial sum of money; people will spend much more than that on gasoline and food to attend a rally.) With paid admission, you would then have some budget to hire crowd control, security, toilet, etc. Also, you would quickly find out whether people are REALLY interested in the sport; that is, if it's not worth $10 to people, that says something in itself. If we don't charge admission, then looking after those spectators is a problem that's not easy to solve. Most events run at break even or close. Do competitors want their entry fees increased to cover the costs of crowd control?

More and more, legal and insurance aspects enter the picture. Once you let spectators in, you have major responsibilities. Those responsibilities might one day be beyond the scope of grassroots motorsports clubs to handle. Pretty soon, you end up not organizing a rally, which is what we want to do, but you end up organizing a public spectacle, and once you do that, you're an event promoter, and the rally just happens to be providing the show. At that point, it seems to me, you cross the line of amateur motorsports into something else. The question is, do we want that?

Put another way, should a rally club be an event promoter? Is that what we should be doing ?

I haven't been on the Pines committee in years, but my guess is that their effort is probably 50%-75% event promotion nowadays, and the rest is the actual running of the rally. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want, but you should be in no doubt that you're no longer just organizing a rally at that point.

This is taking this thread way off topic and I apologize. It is probably a question that needs discussing at other levels of the sport. What happens at one first-time regional is a small part of the picture.

IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #11 - 05/06/9 at 14:16:23

Robert Roaldi wrote on 05/06/9 at 12:43:25:
There are very few free public access events. There are things like public jazz festivals, and that Red Bull manned flight displays (great event, btw), and those events are basically funded by one or two large corporate backers and usually some government support in some form or another. But, by and large, everything else you have to pay to watch. For some reason, we have stayed away from paid admission in rally.

BTW - for the past several years, the CASC-OR regional championship events have been free public access events... with a twist.  If you just show up on race day with no ticket you'll still get charged admission, but you can order complimentary tickets online, print off as many as you want, bring them with you to the track and get in for free.

AFAIK, the change from having spectators pay to giving out complimentary tickets was based on a combination of two factors:

- charging admission didn't bring in enough revenue to make it worthwhile.
- attracting more fans would be good for the organizing clubs, teams, sponsors and the sport in general.

I know that road racing isn't rallying and not everything translates directly between the two disciplines, but I think it's interesting to note the approach that other, substantially similar sports and organizations are doing.

Robert Roaldi wrote on 05/06/9 at 12:43:25:
It would be an interesting experiment to try. Offer paid-for admission to a spectator area, say for $10 (or $20), and see who shows up. (Imo, $10 is a trivial sum of money; people will spend much more than that on gasoline and food to attend a rally.) With paid admission, you would then have some budget to hire crowd control, security, toilet, etc. Also, you would quickly find out whether people are REALLY interested in the sport; that is, if it's not worth $10 to people, that says something in itself. If we don't charge admission, then looking after those spectators is a problem that's not easy to solve. Most events run at break even or close. Do competitors want their entry fees increased to cover the costs of crowd control?

It's an experiment that has been tried.  IIRC, all the events that Anders Green now organizes (Sandblast, Rally TN) charge spectators admission.  Not just a fee for parking or the bus, but actually an admission fee for access to the spectator areas.  I haven't heard a full evaluation of it, but he'd be the person to talk to if you wanted to know how it's worked out.

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #12 - 05/06/9 at 19:53:34

The other experiment is to charge admission, but to donate it to a local charity.  For one, you might see who's willing to cough up the change to see a rally. Two, the locals benefit, and three the rally comes off looking good in the eyes of the locals. Not 100% altruistic, but win-win all the same.  Isn't that a good thing?

There are a lot of angles to 'growing rally' in Ontario.  Many of the people working the stage events are from road rally, these are the real supporters. So, why not grow road rally? Regardless, of HOW we grow it, we have to ask "why is growth good?" How much growth can we handle? How many teams of organisers are willing to take on a regional that could attract 40, or 50, teams?  There goes your 1 day regional format that helps budget teams compete, which grows the sport.  Leave that up to the Nationals. Growth is always assumed to be nothing but good, but it's got to be *sustainable*.  Once you exceed the 'carrying capacity' it dies. e.g. how many willing sponsors are there to assist all these teams in a larger sport?  How many events can teams afford to enter?  Do we have enough communities willing to grant access so often, or to so many? The questions go on and on.  The myth of growth being nothing but good has gotten our entire economy is a knot (how's that for a parallel?!).  Unconstrained growth in a person is called cancer.  It's not sustainable.

Last year's GCFR had 22 cars, WOW!  LHFR has 23 or so, WOWSERS. Where's the problem?  Where at half a National, and we're probably bigger in entries than some existing Nationals.

I agree with Robert re 'event promoter' versus organiser.  In my other secret life I have organised two professional musical concerts in the last 15 months (one was a Juno nominee and CFMA award winner).  I can tell you, 'event promotion' was 80% of the job, the other 20% was a breeze: Book the artists, book the hall, get insurance, book the sound, show up, listen to music, pay the artists, pack up. One gig made $x00, the other lost all of it. Until YOU do it, you just have no idea what's involved.

Finally, calling us 'dumb' is not how to influence people to a positive outcome.  Maybe is just the way the hip kids are speakin' these days and us old squares just don't get it.  Maybe it means we're brilliant.  Wink

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #13 - 05/06/9 at 20:58:33

Erik, I never joke.   wink wink, nudge nudge.

Seriously though, I do believe in KISS, not the band but in Keep It Simple (Stupid or Dummy) and it does seem like spectators can be a pack of trouble.  But you're right, if no one saw rally, no one could know that they would want to get involved.  It would slowly disappear.  

(sorry, I guess I didn't add anything to this conversation)

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #14 - 05/06/9 at 21:23:34

Don't get me wrong, I like free stuff.  I'm cheap.  But there is another angle to the paying for rally thing, or paying for anything, thing.

When you think you have something good to sell (includes selling the idea that rally is good) but decide to charge nothing, the message you can inadvertently send is that it's actually not good enough to pay for.  

If Coldplay charge $5, instead of $100, wouldn't you wonder what THAT'S about?  Aren't they really good?  Aren't they worth at least $50??  Did they get so sucky they can only ask $5 now? Are they desperate? Did you miss some news about the band?

When you undervalue your product or idea, you can devalue it.  If we think rally is THAT good, why isn't it worth a ten-spot for hours of enjoyment?  Hours of fresh air in the country, in the sun, the rain of nature on your face, the laughs of your friends in your ears, the click click of cameras catching the awesome action. I mean, hey, it's freakin' awesome, right?  Isn't it simply the coolest motorsport out there?? $10 is cheaper than a crappy summertime movie!  

When you look at the real stakeholders in rallying, spectators are pretty low on the list (no personal offense to spectators, been there myself, I've flown places to be one).  Competitors (and sponsors by proxy of the competitors) are #1, volunteers, and their collective safety, and then the spectators who are a passive bunch.  They're not putting into the sport like all your rally buddies, and they're not even paying for the privilege.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print