Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
need help with finding coil overs (Read 2295 times)
corywannamaker

need help with finding coil overs
05/22/9 at 14:08:31

i am trying to find a street coil over kit for my 2009 impreza 2.5L. I am having a hard time finding any online and thought that someone might know where to get a good set. Grin Cool

We will let you come play. But we wont let you win.
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Re: need help with finding coil overs
Reply #1 - 05/22/9 at 14:49:15

Have you tried Hot Bits?
Looks like they've got a listing.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 05/22/9 at 16:09:25

Yes, try Peter at HotBits at 905-458-1318. He know everything about coilovers Smiley. And I mean EVERYTHING.

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #3 - 05/22/9 at 17:21:52

I don't know why but I didn't think about that thanks i will be iquiring about them

We will let you come play. But we wont let you win.
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #4 - 05/25/9 at 09:23:51

corywannamaker wrote on 05/22/9 at 17:21:52:
I don't know why but I didn't think about that thanks i will be iquiring about them

Definitely call Peter!

I run a Hotbits DT1 rally set with camber plates set for caster on the street for my Legacy L wagon... lifted to just above Outback height for ground clearance.  Great ride... everyone who borrows it says it's the best handling wagon they've ever driven.  Noticeably more fast compression dampening if you've driven the tarmac version, but you get used to it fast.  

My STi runs a set of DT2 tarmac struts.  Peter's off the shelf version is a good choice for typical street / moderate performance use.  The 60mm ID springs give extra room for tire clearance.  When ordering these, it will depend on what you want out of the car... Will this set be for SERIOUS competition, or the occasional lapping day and autoslalom?

Additional things that we did for my tarmac setup:  

-  Peter ordered KW High Performance Race Springs in 10kg / 8kg (now 9kg in the rear) instead of Hot Bits springs for me so that I could keep the rear perch above the rear tire at competition ride heights.  This lets me easily put a 275 wide tire into my rolled fenders in the rear.  The KW's allow slightly more travel than the Hot Bits springs for the same length of spring, so I can use a shorter spring.

When ordering, raise the main spring rate proportion rear to front vs. stock to reduce Impreza understeer tendencies.

-  I run a 2kg Hotbits helper.  You can ask for 1.0, 1.5, 2.0.  1.5 for his standard Impreza main spring rates would be good.

-  After first installation and ride height setup, Peter customized the travel of each corner by removing internal spacers so that my custom springs sit almost perfectly relaxed at full travel.  This maximizes the travel at each corner so that inside front spring can always reach the ground on corner exit (assuming that my sway bar isn't too stiff to allow it.)  The side benefit of this is that you never need spring compressors or have to lower the bottom perches when servicing the struts.  The springs aren't under tension when out of the car.

-  Peter measured and trimmed the bumpstops front and rear to make sure I had maximum travel for my custom spring rates and lengths before bumpstop engagement while still protecting the pistons.  My front spring lengths are very efficient but we actually added rear bump stop material for one of my custom lengths/rates. 

I think the upgrade to double valving (compression / rebound) gives a much better ride on the street and gives you the extra edge for competition.  I'd go at least DT2 for how little Hotbits charges for the upgrade.

I'm really tempted with the new RSI's... that would be really nice...

http://www.hotbits.org/new/rsi.php

Both sets of Hotbits have been fantastic and everytime I ride in my Whitelines I feel how compromised they are.  And they were far more expensive than what I paid for the Hotbits.   Undecided  Peter's fantastic support out of Brampton is always there when you need it and at a reasonable price.  If you live in the Golden Horseshoe, I don't really understand why anyone would install anything else in your car.

Stephen

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print