Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2009 Impreza 2.5 Turbo? (Read 13589 times)
corywannamaker

2009 Impreza 2.5 Turbo?
07/03/9 at 17:01:47

I have a 2009 impreza 2.5. After buying it I have been kicking myself for not buying the wrx. I was thinking about putting on a turbo kit. I am worried about the engine not being able to take much boost and blowing it up. What does everyone think. Or should I just suck it up and wait until I can get a wrx or sti.  Grin Cool

We will let you come play. But we wont let you win.
  IP Logged
rallyrick
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: 2009 Impreza 2.5 Turbo?
Reply #1 - 07/04/9 at 08:17:08

Not sure about the engine's capability for turbo use, but I would be concerned about factory warranty issues. If you go ahead & bolt one on, then have trans or final drive problems, will the dealer honour the balance of remaining warranty or is the car over the warranty mileage already?

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #2 - 07/04/9 at 10:00:10

The reality is, stock NA subie motors don't tend to take well to turbocharging, unless you're running very low boost numbers. It takes quite a bit of money to get decent number increases out of a NA motor.

All that said, I suggest you learn to maximize what you have, get your driving to the point where the power is the limiting factor, and then consider either a new vehicle or a motor swap.

If you haven't already been, there's lots of info on turboing on places like NASIOC and Toronto Subaru Club.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #3 - 07/04/9 at 15:01:54

I am almost past my power train warrenty. Traveling sales(what do you do) I read somewhere that the motors will take 6psi and I don't think that the money and work will be worth 6psi.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #4 - 07/04/9 at 16:25:03

Yeah, it's an awful lot of money and effort to get 6psi, which is maybe ~50hp or so, ie not even really WRX levels.

Once your drivetrain warranty is up, maybe you should consider a straight STI motor swap. I don't know numbers for what that kind of thing costs these days, but you could get in touch with some of the shops like Planet Motorsport or Fourstar and see what they're asking. It's still going to be a pretty decent chunk of change though.

Another thing to consider, I did a swap on my 2.5RS and the hit in gas mileage was pretty severe. If you're going to be doing lots of driving, you might want to consider a second vehicle that's cheap to run and then keep the subie as a toy, or even the other way around. There's a reason I daily drive a Hyundai Accent now...

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #5 - 07/04/9 at 17:14:55

yeah after talking to some people I think that I will wait untill I have some miles on my car and then do a straight sti swap and go from there. I think that that way I can lesson some of the cost by getting ride of my motor etc.... Thanks for all you help

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #6 - 07/13/9 at 11:47:09

Then you will want to get bigger brakes, which means you'll need bigger tires too. Maybe not necessary for rallying, but it sure will be if  you want to take it on the track.

Jeannie

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #7 - 07/13/9 at 13:31:46

Every so often, I see someone with a hot scoobie who says they wish they could go rally, but can't because they don't have the money.

For the price of a tidy STI swap and some shiny bits, you can have a stage-ready Production Sport setup. I know which I'd prefer (But I hate Subaru's, so I'm biased Tongue)

Heck, even if you just wanted to rallycross or the like (and have a beater with a skidplate and some HotBits on it), you'd at least be able to drive it to work after you hit some big ass rock at Sunday RallyX.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #8 - 07/13/9 at 20:48:42

j_gardhouse wrote on 07/13/9 at 13:31:46:
Heck, even if you just wanted to rallycross or the like (and have a beater with a skidplate and some HotBits on it), you'd at least be able to drive it to work after you hit some big ass rock at Sunday RallyX.

^^^ Truth  Grin

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #9 - 07/17/9 at 10:04:10

I was in a similar situation when I got my 2004 Naturaly Aspirated Subaru a few years back; as soon as I bought it, I started learning more about subaru, rallying, performance driving, etc and got really interested. It's possibly a sign of my newbiedom at the time that I really wanted more power (insert "tim the tool man taylor" references here;), but I ended up with a similar dillema to yours.
My own opinion after research was that trying to pimp up the power on the NA car wasn't really worth it; I'd spend half the price differential of a WRX, to get a warranty-destroying, questionable-reliability, lower performance hack, while still keeping the brakes, suspension, and all the other RS/TS bits.
At that point I decided to switch to a WRX; 6 months into my financing, it wasn't the smartest financial decision that I've ever done;), but it made me a much happier person than spending thousands of dollars on some bolt-on kits would've.

Few years later yet, and potentially a bit wiser though still dumb as a brick I'll admit, I'm not even sure I needed that much power.  I'm not regretting the switch, but knowing what I know now, I might not have. I know for a fact I cannot myself utilize the full power of WRX properly (let alone the Stage 2 kit that I installed), and I'm honestly doubting I'd be able to push the NA car to the limit the way I know some really good drivers would as well. If I had to do it all again, with the benefits of hindsight, I'd put money into suspension, brakes, durability & protection, classes, practice, and improving my own skills.
At this point I'm not sure I'd even go for an STi swap, unless I got the differentials, transmission, suspension, etc in as well... at which point of course, matters become rather moot as to why not just get an STI Smiley

Just my 0.02 cents:)

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #10 - 07/17/9 at 10:32:42

"If I had to do it all again, with the benefits of hindsight, I'd put money into suspension, brakes, durability & protection, classes, practice, and improving my own skills."

I totally agree, Nik! Handling adds a lot of value, and driver education always pays off. I think a lot of people start off thinking "more power" when, really, that's the last piece you want to add.

See you at GCFR?

Jeannie

IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #11 - 07/17/9 at 13:10:51

had some computer issues. Just had a little boy so don't have much time either. i will be at the rallyx in Bancroft on the 26th. I do have a 1997 legacy that I rallyx so that my 09 is only for the road. I am fully aware of the benifits of brakes and suspension(handling upgrades). I am getting Hot bits suspension and have yet to find a big brake kit( aside from the sti brakes$$$$$$) After doing some thinking I don't think that I would fully benifit from sti power. however 170hp just is not enough. I am putting on exhuast and intake, and I found some ohter things that will help. I would like to set the car up to do some track days and solos but it is my daily driver. So I am going to do all the handling things and some hp stuff. I have alot of fun in my rallyx car and it takes money too. Thanks all for you help and input.  Cool Grin

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #12 - 07/17/9 at 13:22:38

170hp isn't enough?  

My Audi has 130hp... in 1988.  My scirocco rally car is probably 90hp.  

I'm pretty fast in the old Audi... and i know plenty of guys who are fast in NA subies... it's not all about power.

IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #13 - 07/17/9 at 13:27:50

I am aware that it can be fast and 170hp is not bad but I am used to and have driven for some time now cars with more hp and better handling ( after alot of work of course). I have been doing tsd and solos and track days for a few years now and I feel that with my set up handling and hp that I cannot go much faster or push any harder.

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #14 - 07/17/9 at 22:36:25

corywannamaker wrote on 07/17/9 at 13:27:50:
that I cannot go much faster or push any harder.

Case. Point.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print