Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for electrical supplies... (Read 4263 times)
Daniel Buehler

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Looking for electrical supplies...
07/10/9 at 14:30:46

I'm trying to find a local store or a Canadian online supplier for quality electrical supplies. (I'm in the Toronto area)

- wire
- switches
- tools
- connectors
- breakers

I'm doing some work on a wiring harness and then all the other random stuff required in a rally car. I don't want to cut corners in this area.

Where is everyone else getting their supplies?

Do you have any recomendations for brand names, wire types, switches, etc?

Any brands I should avoid in a rally car?

Thanks!

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Re: Looking for electrical supplies...
Reply #1 - 07/10/9 at 15:43:52

Rally cars see some really crap conditions for electrical systems and so do boats, which means you can find some good stuff locally.
Small aircraft stores also have some good electrical bits, but I don't know of any local ones - I usually just buy online.

Alot of really great electrical items can be purchased at west marine - they carry stuff by Anchor, Blue Sea and Hella and a few other labels, in addition to okay house brand stuff.

Other bits of electrical supplies I purchase from rallylights.com (hella dealer), ebay, SupremeTronic (Toronto - on college) and digi-key.

I really don't think there is a be-all, end all place - especially if you like to pay sane prices!

If you have any particular questions, drop me an email - I should be able to help.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Da_Moose
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 07/10/9 at 16:11:09

Most if not all PartSource stores can get Cole-Hersee brand products.  They may be a little more expensive (especially for small orders) but are very high quality.  I work at the store in Pickering and can help you out.

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/10/9 at 22:35:19

There is a great article written many years ago by Andy Browning following a detailed experiment on the most effective method of wiring rally lights. Paul Henshall still includes it each year in the RSO Rally School handouts.

It is really worth reading.

IP Logged
Mark-7

Reply #4 - 07/11/9 at 00:22:37

I agree 100% Cole-Hersee Products are great.  The only hard part is getting the parts guy to give you a copy of his catalog for future reference. But like always with building anything rally.  Close your eyes, hand them the credit card, and add to the evergrowing pile of rally receipts.

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #5 - 07/12/9 at 06:21:36

I use Sayal for any electrical components.  They've got pretty much everything you'll ever need in quantity and quality, and cheap.
The only thing they don't have is automotive style electrical connectors.  For that I'd say go with Weatherpack, their stuff is the best.  Most NAPA stores carry those.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Mark-7

Reply #6 - 07/12/9 at 07:33:11

If you go weatherpack then don't forget to get the little took to take out the pins.  Impossible otherwise.

IP Logged
Da_Moose
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 07/12/9 at 16:42:18

Wedge1 wrote on 07/12/9 at 06:21:36:
For that I'd say go with Weatherpack, their stuff is the best.  Most NAPA stores carry those.

Cole Hersee makes them as well.

IP Logged
Daniel Buehler

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 07/13/9 at 07:20:47

j_gardhouse wrote on 07/10/9 at 15:43:52:
Rally cars see some really crap conditions for electrical systems and so do boats [...]  Anchor, Blue Sea and Hella and a few other labels [...]
If you have any particular questions, drop me an email - I should be able to help.

That's good to hear. I just rewired my friends sailboat. I've got a couple bundles of Ancor wire left over and I know some places to get marine electrical suplies for a fair price.

If (when) I get stuck on something, I'll be sure to ask you for some help.

Da_Moose wrote on 07/10/9 at 16:11:09:
Most if not all PartSource stores can get Cole-Hersee brand products.  They may be a little more expensive (especially for small orders) but are very high quality.  I work at the store in Pickering and can help you out.

Sounds like the Cole-Hersee brand is a good option. They've got a decent online catalog too...

rosswood wrote on 07/10/9 at 22:35:19:
There is a great article written many years ago by Andy Browning following a detailed experiment on the most effective method of wiring rally lights. Paul Henshall still includes it each year in the RSO Rally School handouts.

It is really worth reading.

Ross, do you know how I can get a copy of the article?

Thanks everyone!

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #9 - 07/13/9 at 09:10:09

Daniel,

Paul Henshaw's email is paulREMOVEREMOVEREMOVE@REMOVEhslrallysport.ca. Maybe Paul would be willing to allow us to reprint it in En Route.

For Power distrobution, Blue Sea is my choice.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print