Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY Skidplate? (Read 6939 times)
Grant

Milton
DIY Skidplate?
07/21/9 at 12:18:50

hey guys

ive just about got my car all prepared for the rallycross this sunday, the only thing still on my mind is if i should make a bolt on skid plate. ive never really done any sort of metal work, but for my crapalier i really dont feel like paying someone else to do it haha

ive heard that the summer rallies can be pretty hard on cars... is it worth the effort to make one?

if so, could someone give me some step by steps on making a simple one that at least covers my oil pan, header, ect?

thanks  Smiley

Live your dreams.
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: DIY Skidplate?
Reply #1 - 07/21/9 at 14:32:04

definitely recommend it for rallyx.  And heck, the skidplate on my old beater saved my butt more than once in non-rally related incidences (hit a rather large porquipine the night before a TSD rally couple years back).  

As for how to do it... quick google search didn't come up with any writeups on how others have done Cavalier skidplates.  It depends a lot on the car.  

Get underneath the front, look at what you want to protect, and figure out how you'll mount it.

IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #2 - 07/21/9 at 15:45:37

Bryn Epp used to have a Cavalier that he TSD'd and rallycrossed.  I'm not sure if he made a skidplate for it, but you can probably track him down through the member list here.  He may have some Cavalier-specific advice.

WWW   IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #3 - 07/21/9 at 20:47:29

I would say you should have a skid plate. mi have yet to do a summer rallyx however everyone has told me to get one. I just put mine on today (97 legacy) and it went fairly easy. I do have a "metal" sponsor so I did not pay but I don't think that it would cost much to have a local metal supply shop cut you a peice of aluminium ( think that is right) and then bolt it to the car that it what I did and I think that it will work well. good luck and see you this sunday Cool

We will let you come play. But we wont let you win.
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #4 - 07/21/9 at 21:15:43

Not to disagree that skidplates are not good to have - but from my personal experience has been that they are not 100% necessary (if you don't have time to get it done).  A poorly mounted skidplate could actually do more harm if it came undone.  

I have run rallyx in 5 different cars starting in 2001 (Golf, Jetta, Protege, CRX, Scirocco).  Many of those events I ran were in the Bancroft gravel pit (when that was the only course used).  Only one of the cars I ran has had a real skidplate (the rally car).  I have always made it back home to North Bay after the event (285km).  

I will be running this weekend - skidplate free (knock on wood).

To better answer your request I did find some cool skid plate ideas and photos here;
http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36082&highlight=wood+skid+pl...

Anthony

« Last Edit: 07/22/9 at 10:02:41 by Anthony_T »  
WWW   IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #5 - 07/22/9 at 09:26:10

Bancroft isn't within my 200km CAA tow range, and Subaru thought that putting the oil pan in front of the sub frame as the lowest point on the underside was a smart idea for the 97 Legacy L wagon 2.2L.  

Grandma says that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Stephen

IP Logged
Grant

Milton
Reply #6 - 07/23/9 at 00:22:36

I'm in the same boat as you Slowpoke. its a 350km drive home for me so i tow my car just to be safe... for the 50 bucks you pay for a tow dolly its nice to know you can smash up your car and still arrive home as long as the rear wheels are still on haha

i have a few ideas now... i already have my car up on jackstands so tomorrow ill take some cardboard and make a mock skid to determine mounting points. using marine plywood seems like an interesting idea

Live your dreams.
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #7 - 07/23/9 at 06:33:19

You're not trying to protect your undercarriage from a bit of gravel and dirt, you're tying to prevent damage from rocks the size of your head. If you hit a rock of that the size at 60kmph is marine plywood going to do anything other than shatter?

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Grant

Milton
Reply #8 - 07/24/9 at 22:49:46

"There was a guy hereabouts running a GTI who used epoxy-painted 5/8" marine plywood for a skid plate. It protected well, was easy to shape with ordinary tools, sprung back into shape when hit, and above all was CHEAP. When he saw three plies or so worn through, he'd just put on a new one - I think he got three from a 4x8 sheet. He could easily swap it out at service.

If this is for rallycross, a plywood plate might last forever."

hence why i said it was interesting. if i do make one i think ill put some actual time and effort into it... trying to throw something together in the last 2 or 3 days before a rallyx didnt seem like a great idea

Live your dreams.
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #9 - 07/25/9 at 09:43:54

Sounds interesting!  1" thick plywood and you could also reinforce it with a couple of 3/16" thick aluminum straps sandwiching the board to spread the shock load and help prevent flex.  1" think would give you a lot of room to countersink the mounting bolts.  Go for it!

Stephen

IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #10 - 07/25/9 at 13:36:36

What's next "Oar Locks"

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #11 - 07/25/9 at 13:55:38

Donnie wrote on 07/25/9 at 13:36:36:
What's next "Oar Locks"

I could use a jib sail to help get up any hills...   Undecided

Stephen

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #12 - 07/27/9 at 15:05:54

200 hard a-starboard into port over crest, 50 rough seas into huge swell, 100 come-a-bout hard to port, keep starboard of bouy, 50 large rock to port.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #13 - 07/27/9 at 17:32:18

nhibbert wrote on 07/27/9 at 15:05:54:
200 hard a-starboard into port over crest, 50 rough seas into huge swell, 100 come-a-bout hard to port, keep starboard of bouy, 50 large rock to port.

^^ Haha, thats awesome!

Hey Grant, you could probably pick up a some sheet metal, and a pair of metal cutters and just use your existing plastic skidplate as a template. Then just use a drill to make the holes...

Tim
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print