Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Suspension for a Outback Sport (GC) (Read 7446 times)
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Suspension for a Outback Sport (GC)
08/11/9 at 21:09:46

I have found an inexpensive used 96 Outback Sport. The suspension is done. Will suspension from other eras, like 02-07 WRX take-offs fit?

I tried the TSC website but no answers, so I thought I would try here.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
corywannamaker

Re: Suspension for a Outback Sport (GC)
Reply #1 - 08/11/9 at 21:36:59

I can not be 100% sure but I know that I used 98 outback suspension in my 97 legacy. The only issue that I can across is that they are much taller and the rear sway bar had to be un bolted before the back ones should go in. as far as I know all of the mounting is the same you just might run into some problems with the size. If you are going to a shorter one I think that it would work.

We will let you come play. But we wont let you win.
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #2 - 08/11/9 at 22:21:55

Dave, your only issue is that the springs tend to be too short from sedans for the wagons and the back end sags. Also, rear top mounts changed in 02, anything older than that though will work fine. You can also just swap tops for the older style. The only other issue is that 2000+ legacies are totally different design in the back, so avoid stuff from them.

All this said, if you're not getting OBS suspension then it will sit lower than stock no matter what you get.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Daniel Buehler

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 08/12/9 at 08:00:25

It works - %100!

In fact, '02 WRX struts and springs on my 97' OBS was the best all round setup. Comfortable on the street, perfect for RallyX and lots of fun on the track.

I used the Sedan springs (the part numbers for the stuts are the same for sedans/wagons). I had no real issue with any lowering in the rear. I also used an OEM rear sway bar from a WRX wagon (18mm).

The tophat are the same in the front and will bolt in without modification. In the rear, I didn't want to switch the tophats as the solution is kind of "mickey mouse". So, I had FourStar do the installation. The have a FANTASTIC (and simple) solution to get the newer tophats to bolt in to the GC/GF chassis.

IP Logged
Ken Nazeer

Ontario,  Canada
Reply #4 - 08/12/9 at 08:58:42

Dave,

I have a set of KYB GR-2's, bought for my 99 Impreza Wagon, that I had planned to use with a set of stock 01 Forester Springs. Since the AGX and Legacy Turbo springs are still working fine, I may sell these.

I'll have to recheck the part numbers if you are interested. They are brand new in original boxes.

Ken.

Ken
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #5 - 08/12/9 at 09:21:13

Dan, did they just rotate and drill a new bolt pattern?

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Daniel Buehler

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 08/12/9 at 12:07:37

No, they didn't. That solution isn't the best as the tophats are meant to be aligned with the shape of the spring - and where the wind stops. They kept the alignment of the tophat as intended.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #7 - 08/12/9 at 13:44:13

Ken Nazeer wrote on 08/12/9 at 08:58:42:
Dave,

I have a set of KYB GR-2's, bought for my 99 Impreza Wagon, that I had planned to use with a set of stock 01 Forester Springs. Since the AGX and Legacy Turbo springs are still working fine, I may sell these.

I'll have to recheck the part numbers if you are interested. They are brand new in original boxes.

Ken.

Ken, I will get back to you. The person that posted the car on kijiji will not return my e-mails so I don't know if it is sold, they changed their mind, it blew up or ....  Angry

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #8 - 08/12/9 at 14:10:22

Dave Cotie wrote on 08/12/9 at 13:44:13:
The person that posted the car on kijiji will not return my e-mails so I don't know if it is sold, they changed their mind, it blew up or ....  Angry

Flakey seller... pics from the winter/spring (still has snow in the picture!)... hasn't been running for a while I'm guessing (lack of plates)..

(yes... I snooped on Northbay Kijiji...)

skip, unless they are willing to haggle.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #9 - 08/12/9 at 14:17:32

dtompsett wrote on 08/12/9 at 14:10:22:
Dave Cotie wrote on 08/12/9 at 13:44:13:
The person that posted the car on kijiji will not return my e-mails so I don't know if it is sold, they changed their mind, it blew up or ....  Angry

Flakey seller... pics from the winter/spring (still has snow in the picture!)... hasn't been running for a while I'm guessing (lack of plates)..

(yes... I snooped on Northbay Kijiji...)

skip, unless they are willing to haggle.

Yea, I hear you Doug. Let's just say I was looking to get it for a deal, but I think you are right probably not serious.

[rant on] Kijiji and CL are like that. Costs nothing to post, therefore nothing to lose. [rant off] I was hoping that it was just somone on holidays or something but no responses for almost 2 1/2 weeks so far so ....... Roll Eyes

Oh well back to working on my Volvo's  Grin

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #10 - 08/12/9 at 15:06:08

Dad ran into the same issues trying to find some cheap subies in the Peterborough area.  Similar situation... car needs work...

-no replies
-phones unanswered
-multiple parties answering back with different stories
-people changing their minds
blah blah...

Sometimes you get some great deals, or sell stuff you need to sell.  Other times... it's a pain in the butt.  I've sent a couple messages on there saying "I've emailed you 3 times now... is this item available or not?"... then flag it as out of date.

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #11 - 08/12/9 at 22:10:14

I have a full set of assembled 97 Legacy L suspension in the shed... but I'm saving them for Ol' Smokey's future life at the Minden Fairgrounds.   Roll Eyes

First, she's got to win MLWR for me.

Stephen

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 08/13/9 at 06:25:55

I agree totally with your comments about such sites, but if you persist there are some great bargains. In the spring through Kijiji I found a great deal on a Toyota 4Runner (thanks to Dave, who pointed the ad out to me).

IP Logged
Robin_Fleguel
YaBB Newbies

Visualize Whirled
Peas

Reply #13 - 08/13/9 at 08:31:10

rosswood wrote on 08/13/9 at 06:25:55:
I agree totally with your comments about such sites, but if you persist there are some great bargains. In the spring through Kijiji I found a great deal on a Toyota 4Runner (thanks to Dave, who pointed the ad out to me).

Found my Lancia Fulvia on Kijiji Smiley Smiley

Robin

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #14 - 08/13/9 at 14:48:09

rosswood wrote on 08/13/9 at 06:25:55:

If I remember you were cursing me at the time!!!  Grin

I am going to keep e-mailing this guy until he answers me one way or the other! It looks like a pretty good deal.

I am looking for a rally-X/TSD car and this looks like it would do the job.

BTW Robin, thanks for the tires (and the stuff to cover the seats in the rental!!!).

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print