Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RallyCross Participation (Read 10316 times)
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Re: RallyCross Participation
Reply #15 - 10/21/9 at 15:13:35

Their are some decent roads just outside Chelmsford (past the old golf course) that would be good... as well while it is Tarmac (as far as any road in Sudbury can be classified as tarmac) Radar rd. was always a fun run...

Derek.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #16 - 10/21/9 at 17:43:05

Jeff_Hagan wrote on 10/20/9 at 23:57:45:
dtompsett wrote on 10/20/9 at 22:55:03:
from what I know, there is nothing around Sudbury right now.  I do believe there used to be a tsd or performance rally in the area, but it was a long time ago... Nickel Belt Rally... or something like that.  I'd love to get more details and try to revive some of the old route if possible.

I was on the organizing committee for the Georgian Trials rally the last year it ran (2003?).  I wouldn't be surprised if I've got a route book or some sort of map in a box in the basement somewhere.

I've moved three times since then, though, so it might take some digging to find.

I have copies of two route books for Rally of the Voyageurs when it ran out of North Bay. Much of the route was north and west of the city over toward the town of Field. I would love to organize a Rally up here again some day.

There are some good roads around here, however many of them are MNR roads and have suffered from the same deterioration as the Pines MNR roads due to a lack of funding.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
TomH

Reply #17 - 10/21/9 at 19:04:04

Dave, do you know what kind of shape the road aprox 20k north of Marten River and runs west to east is in? I measured the road using Google Earth and it's exactly the same distances as my 1983 Voyageur route book.

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #18 - 10/22/9 at 08:27:18

Voyageurs also ran up in Temagami as well if I remember correctly.  My wife and I are friends with one of the original organizers of that rally (Dave Carlin).  I also remember seeing some video at the CRC 50th of a rally running out of Mattawa (it would be cool to close part of hwy 533 for an event).  And there was a motorsports club in North Bay - some of those folks are still around but those I met have moved onto other things (or are very long in the tooth).  It would be cool to have another event and club up north.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #19 - 10/22/9 at 19:39:08

TomH wrote on 10/21/9 at 19:04:04:
Dave, do you know what kind of shape the road aprox 20k north of Marten River and runs west to east is in? I measured the road using Google Earth and it's exactly the same distances as my 1983 Voyageur route book.

I think you are talking about the road that is at the north end of the Nipissing Crown Game preserve (just north of a store called Gramp's Place). It is a dead-end road that runs in quite a ways (20 kms?). Normally that road is in pretty good condition, but I have not been up there in a while. It would make a good one-road rally road!  Smiley

Maybe I will have to grab the kids one day and take a run up there. It is probably only 35-40 minutes from my place.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #20 - 10/22/9 at 19:46:21

Anthony_T wrote on 10/22/9 at 08:27:18:
Voyageurs also ran up in Temagami as well if I remember correctly.  My wife and I are friends with one of the original organizers of that rally (Dave Carlin).  I also remember seeing some video at the CRC 50th of a rally running out of Mattawa (it would be cool to close part of hwy 533 for an event).  And there was a motorsports club in North Bay - some of those folks are still around but those I met have moved onto other things (or are very long in the tooth).  It would be cool to have another event and club up north.  

The year I spectated (I was in high school - that was a few years ago  Grin). It ran Red Squirrel Lake Rd. They had a service area right in town where the grocery store now sits.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #21 - 10/22/9 at 21:19:34

dtompsett wrote on 10/21/9 at 07:34:59:
I'm looking at roads a little closer to Sudbury... most of those stage roads are more like 90 minutes from Sudbury.  

Ah... I thought you meant "rally close", not "normal close".   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #22 - 10/23/9 at 12:32:55

I was hoping for a 'normal close'... so that you can base everything around the city (hotel/motel access), and then have a 'relatively' short transit to a service area.  

There are a ton of forest roads in the 90+ minute drive from Sudbury... but who wants to get up in the morning and drive the whole service crew 90+ minutes to a service park.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print