I am good to go already, thanks  
  2 (20%)
Not Interested  
  3 (30%)

Total votes: 10
« Created by: grinthock_justin on: 11/27/9 at 07:11:28 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amateur Radio Exams - Guaging Interest (Read 4232 times)
grinthock_justin
YaBB Newbies

Rally Time/Track
Control

Bolton, ON
Amateur Radio Exams - Guaging Interest
11/27/9 at 07:11:28

I know last year some people had asked about getting either Basic exams or upgrading to advanced.  

I have some others looking to do exams and I was considering setting up a testing session.

Let me know by voting above.

-- Justin - Rally Sweep Co-Driver VE3UDP/VE3SIP - Accredited Examiner
MLRC Amateur Radio Examiner
St John Ambulance - AMFR
2016 F-150 - Rally Service "MegaSweep"
2002 Impreza - Wreccie RallyX Car
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: Amateur Radio Exams - Guaging Interest
Reply #1 - 11/27/9 at 09:06:26

I've already got basic... and I believe I scored 80%+ on it... so I should have the extra qualifications... but we did the exam just before they applied that rule (it was only a few years ago).  So my card only says Basic.

I know... it's not 'Advanced'... but I really don't have a use for Advanced right now.  

It would be good to get some courses set up for groups though.  People always seem to want it, but never seem to have time to get it.  I lucked out and did mine through RSO.  Working rallies got a whole lot more interesting once I had a radio!

IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #2 - 11/27/9 at 16:15:05

I didn't vote in the poll, because I'm not a firm enough "yes" that you could count on me coming out to a course.

I've got my basic. I'd consider going for an advanced if I saw the need for it... if I was recruited to run a portable repeater or something like that.

WWW   IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 11/27/9 at 20:40:28

For the beginner types the annual RallySport Ontario School will be held on Saturday, March 6th and Sunday, March 7th. Always graduates at least 10 new rally HAMS>

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #4 - 11/30/9 at 00:38:51

I haven't started researching this yet, but I do want to do the training.  Roger Sanderson of KWRC is planning to do training on March 6/7

Stephen

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #5 - 11/30/9 at 10:59:34

I think anyone who is of the nature of reading up and writing the test has (for the most part) done so already. But having willing examiners never hurts.

The less technically oriented, less DIY folks are best off taking a course, such as what RSO does every year.

My 2 cents.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #6 - 11/30/9 at 15:59:46

j_gardhouse wrote on 11/30/9 at 10:59:34:
...The less technically oriented, less DIY folks are best off taking a course, such as what RSO does every year.

I took the RSO course because it was convenient... group of like-minded people, reviewing basic course information for 1.5 days, then write the test.  Any other time I had looked into it, I had to sign up for multi-week courses, or pay more for the test, etc etc.  It was very convenient to do the course through RSO.   (and I'm the DIY/technical type... I had already bought the book and done the reading).

I think that what Justin is potentially offering is the chance for RSO, or even a specific club, to run another course at a different time.  Perhaps what might work better is to contact a specific club (say... PMSC), ask them if their membership would want to do the course.  The club could then do a course in the Peterborough area.

I probably would have gotten my license sooner if a course had been offered locally.  (I say locally... I really began researching licensing when I was at school in Barrie.  I bought my book through the local examiner, but didn't write the exam until the following year when RSO held the course.  If, for example, PMSC had offered a course while I was living in Peterborough before I headed to Barrie for college, I may have done the course two years sooner!)

IP Logged
Ken Nazeer

Ontario,  Canada
Reply #7 - 12/10/9 at 13:36:46

I voted yes but I'd also rather work on this one weekend and get me a basic.

Ken
  IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Reply #8 - 12/10/9 at 22:22:57

I did not vote but I would be like some of the other and perfer to take the course.

Derek

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print