Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two classes only? (Read 5764 times)
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Two classes only?
12/23/9 at 08:51:20

There is a lot of discussion going on about "two classes only - AWD and 2WD" (plus the usual flaming of people who do not agree with each another) at the Special Stage http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39256.

What do you think? Would it make sense to run only 2 classes in Canada?

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Daniel Buehler

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Two classes only?
Reply #1 - 12/23/9 at 10:34:32

I'd love it!

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #2 - 12/23/9 at 12:13:46

The reasoning behind it is sound.  But it does not take into account that it completely goes against one of the core principles rallying (canadian rally anyway), of encouraging competition in production vehicles.
If there's only 2 classes, then there will be no more production vehicles.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #3 - 12/23/9 at 12:33:48

4 Classes:

Production 4WD

Production 2WD

Open 4WD

Open 2WD

Done.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Robin_Fleguel
YaBB Newbies

Visualize Whirled
Peas

Reply #4 - 12/23/9 at 13:37:15

I'm with Jamie.  Four classes.

IP Logged
Daniel Buehler

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 12/23/9 at 13:57:26

Okay, so I'll admit; I've never seen the appeal of running in production. From those who have, what makes it appealing?

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #6 - 12/23/9 at 14:33:31

Daniel Buehler wrote on 12/23/9 at 13:57:26:
Okay, so I'll admit; I've never seen the appeal of running in production. From those who have, what makes it appealing?

Its a heck of a lot of fun, great camaraderie, a fairly level playing field and very cost effective. When you can run a regional, entry, tires, fuel, food, transport to and from the event for under 500$ (Galway), the fun to negative cash flow ratio is something I can live with.

Its rally, so its a pile of fun, no matter what you're riding in!

And those who don't see the appeal of production classes because they're slow, one word: Spongl.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 12/23/9 at 15:51:57

My 2c worth:

1/ In my opinion it is all about trophies - and I do not see anything wrong with it. When you are old, you might have something else to look at than just your trusty TV. The wall full of trophies cannot be just dismissed as "you could buy it for $5 a piece". Win is a win, even if one is alone in a class. As one of my friends says about it: "History does not ask questions..." So, for the trophy, as well as for the good feeling and encouragement the winning provides, it might make sense to have more classes.

2/ I have a bit of issue with "production being cheaper that G2/G5/open class". Yes it is true--if you build a true G2/G5/open. However, the production class MUST be all production and G2  MIGHT, but does not but does not have to be a true G2.

Which means that I can build a sturdier car for the same money or cheaper--if I choose to race a car which is close to being "production" in G2/G5/open class. I can go to a junk yard and pick up a transmission from any VW to put it into my “G2” car for $300. In the production class I have to have the same transmission as it was originally in the car. It might be much more difficult to get, not as sturdy and possibly more expensive.

Obviously, one might have a huge problem to win with a "production" car in the open class, but for this argument see point (1) above. If one does not care about “fairly level playing field” (a difficult concept even if you have many classes), than it makes more sense to have just two classes.

Furthermore, the open class is scalable – as I have more money I can increase the power of the car almost without limits. With a production car, I am at the limit almost from the beginning and to get any incremental improvement costs me more than to do the same with the production car in the G2/G5/open class.

In the end, it is often the cost of going to events that overrides the car specification. For example, if I go to all CRC rallies (East and West), I would probably do quite well, even if I do not place great in any one of them.

I am for two classes only, but it might be coloured by my perception that even in the full spec open class car I might not have any trophies anyways (to paraphrase Jamie; “one word: NoSprongl” Grin).

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #8 - 12/23/9 at 17:28:40

Manufacturers love production class.  Because they can point to those amazing rally cars and be able to say: "that's the same car you can buy from your local dealer"

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #9 - 12/23/9 at 22:22:41

Wedge1 wrote on 12/23/9 at 17:28:40:
Manufacturers love production class.  Because they can point to those amazing rally cars and be able to say: "that's the same car you can buy from your local dealer"

Yes, but other than Subaru and Mitsubishi, who is stepping up?

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Phil D
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 12/28/9 at 20:39:38

Agreed – put everybody into 2 classes; Production GT and Production Sport?  Bin Open, G2, G5, etc????  As k yourself why all the manufactures are dropping out of WRC?  It is just too darn expensive and that applies at our level too!  And while we’re on look at environmental issues too; Pacific Forrest Rally had a fuel monitoring aspect to the event which the Zedrill’s won as well as their group.  The writing is on the wall!  Level the playing field(ish) and put everybody into GpN/production class cars and the smaller the capacity (2.0l) the better.  

IP Logged
Phil D
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 01/16/10 at 09:27:01

Lots of support going to Production Sport south of the border!  

http://www.specialstage.com/2010/01/15/subaru-announces-increased-funding-for-th...

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #12 - 01/17/10 at 11:33:57

Dave Cotie wrote on 12/23/9 at 22:22:41:
Yes, but other than Subaru and Mitsubishi, who is stepping up?

Suzuki was out there _in production class_ running with the big dogs for a few years.  Other manufacturers have shown interest from time to time.  I'm sure that what's keeping them out is cost more than anything else.

I like the idea of 4 classes: 2wd Prod, 2wd Open, 4wd Prod, 4wd Open
But with classes like that, the low powered 4wd's would be screwed...
What about the Justy's?  Won't somebody please think of the Justy's!?!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print