Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
1983 Rally of The Voyageurs stage times (Read 8283 times)
TomH

1983 Rally of The Voyageurs stage times
01/01/10 at 12:21:54

Hi all
Spent some time and posted the stage times and route information from the 1983 Voyageur Rally on my website. 20 MLRC members on the entry list!
Tom

http://www.performancerallyimages.com/1983_rally_of_the_voyageurs_index.htm

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Re: 1983 Rally of The Voyageurs stage times
Reply #1 - 01/02/10 at 11:31:23

Wow, the shortest stage in the whole event was 21.5km!
How do we get an event like that to come back? Wink

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 01/02/10 at 11:51:24

I would love it too; but it will never happen... Cry

« Last Edit: 01/02/10 at 21:53:22 by overthehill »  

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #3 - 01/02/10 at 12:06:20

Wedge1 wrote on 01/02/10 at 11:31:23:
Wow, the shortest stage in the whole event was 21.5km!
How do we get an event like that to come back? Wink

We get a rally going based out of North Bay, ON again!

Tom has shared with me copies of some of the old route books and I am going to start taking a look at some of these roads. The problem is that most of these are MNR roads and we know what kind of budget cuts MNR road maintenance has sustained. Angry

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #4 - 01/02/10 at 18:44:54

I know I'm interested in starting a tsd event in the Sudbury area, with the possibility of a performance rally event... but there are several issues.  Along with the classic 'poorly maintained' MNR roads, many of the nice roads around here are potentially on native land, or owned by mining companies.  

And then there is the issue of convincing workers and competitors to drive all the way to Sudbury... or beyond!

But the idea is there... I'm working on it... slowly.

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #5 - 01/02/10 at 20:46:27

Driving to North Bay or Sudbury from Toronto is not further then going to Maniwaki - and if you consider the roads and traffic - it's not even that much further then Bancroft, in my opinion anyways.  Having events in the northern part of the province was not that uncommon back in the sixties.

WWW   IP Logged
xrian

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ontario
Reply #6 - 01/02/10 at 21:21:28

Nor should it be today what with hyway improvements going on from Toronto to Sudbury. They say once the 69 in finished it should shave almost 1 hour from the total travel time.
Let's get back up north where the roads are fun & many!!

Ian Glyn-Jones
VE3HFD
Panach Rally Team
Fonthill, Ontario
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #7 - 01/03/10 at 02:15:17

There is construction on all the remaining 2 lane sections of hwy 11 between North Bay and Toronto (the section is only about 30 minutes worth now).  I imagine it'll be complete within 2 years.  

Anyway - I'd certainly contribute if there was interest in reintroducing rally to these parts.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #8 - 01/04/10 at 21:29:57

Anthony_T wrote on 01/03/10 at 02:15:17:
There is construction on all the remaining 2 lane sections of hwy 11 between North Bay and Toronto (the section is only about 30 minutes worth now).  I imagine it'll be complete within 2 years.  

Anyway - I'd certainly contribute if there was interest in reintroducing rally to these parts.

The ON Gov't have committed to finishing Hwy 11 four laning to North Bay by 2012.

Doug, I think you will find as you move east away from Sudbury there are fewer issues with mines and Native Land claims. There are some great roads around Field and along Hwy 64 from Sturgeon Falls to Marten River.

DC

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
DaveM
YaBB Newbies

'83 Volvo 244 GLT
Turbo

Pefferlaw
Reply #9 - 01/05/10 at 17:03:11

TomH wrote on 01/01/10 at 12:21:54:
Hi all
Spent some time and posted the stage times and route information from the 1983 Voyageur Rally on my website. 20 MLRC members on the entry list!
Tom

http://www.performancerallyimages.com/1983_rally_of_the_voyageurs_index.htm

Man!  Does that bring back memories   Smiley Smiley

sledjunk   IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 01/05/10 at 17:35:46

Getting an event like the old Voy will take a dedicated group of people who live in the area. My understanding was the old Voy used people mainly from KWRC area along with some TAC.

Just getting up to do any rally chore took a lot of travel hours.

I am guessing six each way??

While there would be many people in the South willing to help the largest portion would need to be Guys from the North

You don't need to form a club etc [that would be nice however] but present a sensible well thought out plan to RSO and possible club of record for the Rally

This is a personal opinion and not that as a member of RSO Board

Pete g

Pete G
  IP Logged
TomH

Reply #11 - 01/06/10 at 21:14:20

I can only imagine what the workload, expense and the number of workers would be like doing the route for the Voyageurs using todays safety standards. In 1982 for the Muskoka Rally and 83 for the Voyageurs; we were lucky to have good number of workers from the North Bay rally club. Then there was Dave Carlin who many of you probably don’t know but spent hundreds of hours working on the event and when I needed something done in North Bay, it was looked after properly by Dave. Trips up to North Bay from Kitchener weren’t really a big deal with fuel at about 30 cents a litre.

The northern stages around Temagami were very remote in 1983 and there was very rarely any local traffic other than logging operations and the odd trio of naked women running in the bush. Today, the road is a major logging artery and has been the scene of several protests ( people chaining themselves to trees ) over the years.  A 2 pass recce
for the route we used would probably take more than two full days. A 200 km stage event today normally takes a day to write notes ( 100 km of stage roads with each stage run twice ) The Voyageurs had 235 km of stages with none of the stages repeated in the same direction.

When I did the results on my website it was after looking at some very close battles that were going on during the rally and thought it would look much better using todays results format. I would like to do the same to some of the other earlier Voyageurs or other events from the 83 championship, so if anyone has results they could send me, please do.  Soon to come, map of Day 2 of the 1975 Criterium Rally ( first year being observed for WRC )
Wait till you see the length of those stages!!

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #12 - 01/07/10 at 16:14:51

Tom, to be perfectly honest I am looking at the idea of a TSD up this way. The thought of a full-blown performance rally is "OUT THERE" as you have noted.

Most people think Bancroft is a long drive.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #13 - 01/08/10 at 10:15:32

Maybe times are changing, Dave. We got a very gratifying 24 entries for the 2009 Lanark Highlands Forest Rally, which is definitely out of the way for competitors in the TO area.

Jeannie

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #14 - 01/08/10 at 10:47:09

I definitely do not think a 6 or 8hr drive is out of the question for rally people, if it is built, people will come! Smiley

Now, the task of organizing the event is an entirely different story!

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print