Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tow to PN - THANK YOU (Read 7429 times)
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Tow to PN - THANK YOU
01/20/10 at 08:50:11

I am looking for someone who could either tow my rally car to Perce Neige Rally at a decent price, or lend / rent me a tow vehicle to tow it there. The truck I usually borrow broke down  Cry. (And, BTW I need the same thing for Sno*Drift, but that is probably impossible...)

Paul
416-365-0042
hartlbell AT gmail DOT com

« Last Edit: 02/09/10 at 08:38:24 by overthehill »  

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Anthony_T

Re: I need a tow to Perce Neige...
Reply #1 - 01/20/10 at 10:17:01

Last resort, you can always do like the real cheapos and drive the car to the event.  If you break down, rent a U-Haul just for the return trip.

WWW   IP Logged
Daniel Buehler

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 01/20/10 at 13:56:34

Smiley

I'd like to think of it as professional amature rallying at its best.

Team Grindstone Motorsports has been using that technique for some time now, with great success.

Make sure you apply for your CAA Platinum card at least a full week before you may need to use it...

IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 01/20/10 at 16:15:52

Yes, I know... I have done it before as well. Big boots, heavy coat (because the car is a bit windy). BTW, what is the last MTO pronouncement on cages and 6-points on 401? Grin

hartlbell   IP Logged
Mark-7

Reply #4 - 01/20/10 at 18:02:00

Goodluck Paul! I hope you get to SD.  

Cages on the 401 I really don't want to get that argument started again.

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #5 - 01/20/10 at 19:14:07

overthehill wrote on 01/20/10 at 16:15:52:
cages and 6-points on 401? Grin

In any case, they're mighty uncomfortable.

I still have the cassette player installed in the mazda (with one working speaker).

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #6 - 01/20/10 at 19:19:27

How well does the cassette player work at distract the driver from the cold caused by the missing carpet and headliner.  I must concede that the technique has worked better for me in warmer weather.  Still - if a tow is only thing keeping me from an event, I'd do it again.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark-7

Reply #7 - 01/20/10 at 19:33:19

If a car isn't reliable enough to be driven to the rally it isn't reliable enough to rally.

IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #8 - 01/20/10 at 20:57:22

Anthony_T wrote on 01/20/10 at 10:17:01:
Last resort, you can always do like the real cheapos and drive the car to the event.  If you break down, rent a U-Haul just for the return trip.  

I drive my car to rally events  Undecided  (ok fine, to the rally-x, and its by no means a rally car)

Enough people seem to randomly need a tow and willing to pay, that purchasing a MLRC trailer seems like it might be a good investment?!?

Tim
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #9 - 01/20/10 at 22:03:45

Mark-7 wrote on 01/20/10 at 19:33:19:
If a car isn't reliable enough to be driven to the rally it isn't reliable enough to rally.

Absolutely true.  Furthermore, my experience has been that a car that's used regularly will also be less prone to bugs from sitting.  Though I don't necessarily like the attention I get from driving my rally car on the street when there isn't an event I think I'd have a better finishing rate if I took it to the streets more often.  My car's former owner drove it to most of the events he competed in and his mechanical dnfs were far fewer then mine (I concede, he may also have been a better mechanic, but I'd likely find my mistakes ahead of the event if the car had a few more road miles in the mean time).  

WWW   IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #10 - 01/20/10 at 22:11:18

Yopofun wrote on 01/20/10 at 20:57:22:
Anthony_T wrote on 01/20/10 at 10:17:01:

I drive my car to rally events  Undecided  (ok fine, to the rally-x, and its by no means a rally car)

Enough people seem to randomly need a tow and willing to pay, that purchasing a MLRC trailer seems like it might be a good investment?!?

I don't find anything unpleasant about driving a regularish/rallyx car to rally events.  There is a chance of breaking something but at least getting to the event is relatively pleasant.  You still have regular street car amenities such as retractable seatbelts, cushioned seats and insulation from the heat or cold (rally cars are like an icebox when it's below freezing - at least mine is).  

WWW   IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 01/24/10 at 21:14:08

I have a tow for SD and for PN. I would like to thank to the people who offered to tow me to PN. I really DO appreciate your offers - thank you soooo much.

Paul

hartlbell   IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Re: Tow to PN - FOUND
Reply #12 - 01/25/10 at 11:09:52

My 2 cents on driving a rally car to and from events.

I've never been unable to drive a car home *knock wood*, though I did have to do a temporary fix once and was short gears on another trip.

By dailying the car to work a few days before the event, and driving it to the event, if there is an issue, you'll know! Add on a inspection of EVERY little nut/pipe fitting/hose/belt with a GOOD bright LED flashlight, and you'll be doing quite well.

I know people who don't even look at their car until a week before the next event, in my mind, everything should be done by then, including decals (especially if it is a winter event), fluids, fuel cans filled etc... Then if you DID miss something, you're still in the game.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Tow to PN - FOUND
Reply #13 - 01/25/10 at 11:51:32

My plan, once I get there, is to try to have the car ready two weeks before the rally. Then drive it for a week and check again for anything that may have come up and get it 100% a week before and then let it sit so you're not stressing over it right before the rally. That's the plan anyway...

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Tow to PN - THANK YOU
Reply #14 - 02/09/10 at 08:46:07

A huge THANK YOU to Doug Hollands for taking my car to and from Perce Neige. In addition to all of his volunteer work at PN, he towed my car there, carried some of my stuff in his truck (as we did not have any service), loaded my disabled car and towed it back to Brampton. Without him, I could not have taken part in PN.

hartlbell   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print