Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New To The Game (Read 9335 times)
Crazy
YaBB Newbies

Mississauga, On
New To The Game
01/20/10 at 22:50:50

Hi everyone. I’m sorry if I’m asking questions that have already been answered. I’m just getting in to the whole rally racing and I had a couple of questions that I would like to ask to a more experienced crowd would actually do the sport, Vs the people that watch it on Youtube and think they know everything. So first of all, I am hoping to participate in the January 25 Mini Rally race (100km), that’s being held in Bradford, Ontario. I am planning to use my everyday driver and my only car that I own. (2004 Mitsubishi Ralliart) Since I’ve never done this before, I have no idea how bad the road conditions are and how much damage it will do to my car. Could anyone people give me an idea? Chipped paint? Dented doors? Half of my car missing by the end out the race? The next thing I would like to ask is does anyone know what I should be expecting? Like are the courses usually half dirt, half pavement? Or All pavement?  And the last thing I would ask for is could someone please recommend a decent tire that will do a good job. It doesn’t have to be the best tire in the world. I just want to start small. Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Re: New To The Game
Reply #1 - 01/20/10 at 23:37:49

The Mini-Rallies are TSD (Time, Speed, Distance) or navigational rallies. They are NOT RACES! The max speed allowed is always at least 10% under the actual speed limit.

I have not entered one before, however it is my understanding that you can use your daily-driver and it should be just fine. It should not be damaged unless you run into something.

Tires - make sure you have snow tires. Even cheapies are better than all-seasons. Canadian Tire Nordics have worked well for me. I currently run Michelin X-Ice, good on ice, not great in snow.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Crazy
YaBB Newbies

Mississauga, On
Reply #2 - 01/21/10 at 00:02:37

Sorry, your right. I should have used the word event. And thanks for your input about the X-icings. I would have thought that thoughs tires would be the number one choice. Anyone else use somethign different that also works good.

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #3 - 01/21/10 at 00:23:58

Just to confirm what Dave has said - from someone who has participated in the Minis - The courses are chosen knowing that people use their daily drivers.  There is no door to door contact or anything remotely close to that.  It's a fun drive in the country on some windy roads with average speeds to meet - the trick is that managing to keep to those average speeds is easier said then done.

WWW   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #4 - 01/21/10 at 10:44:54

This is a busy weekend! We're also holding our first Open Road Rally of the season on Saturday, with start/finish in Almonte.

Re your question about cars, we get all sorts, including one team that has campaigned a rally van for years!

And, there is indeed *no* racing involved in a TSD.

Jeannie, MCO

IP Logged
Crazy
YaBB Newbies

Mississauga, On
Reply #5 - 01/21/10 at 15:59:37

Awsome. Im glad that I can take part without worrying about my car getting all beat up. Thanks again. Can someone give me some input about some tires that they found worked for them? On gravel and on pavment?

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #6 - 01/21/10 at 17:46:29

In basic terms, for TSD rallies in the winter - If you have a decent set of winter tires with sipes you should be good.  The more sipes the better for icy conditions.  A very upright tread block at the sidewall is also a good thing to look for.  I don't like to use a studable tire if I won't be using studs as the rubber seems a bit harder then that used in a studless tires.  

I'll leave the gravel/pavement question to someone else (what works well on one, won't on another)

WWW   IP Logged
Crazy
YaBB Newbies

Mississauga, On
Reply #7 - 01/21/10 at 18:22:31

awsome, thanks for all the help

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #8 - 01/21/10 at 19:14:53

The mini's are probably 50/50 pavement and gravel. In that area there will probably still be a lot of packed snow on the back roads so you may not be able to tell the difference . . . unless it all washes away on Sunday.

My current favourite wnter tire right now is the Toyo Garit KX.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #9 - 01/21/10 at 20:59:59

I have hear the Khumo Winter tires are good and the Hankook I-Pikes are supposed to be good too.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #10 - 01/21/10 at 22:33:35

I heard the same of the Kumho winter tires - I had some a long ways back that were but I have to say I was disappointed with my last set.  I've been much happier since I switched to some Yokohama IG10s.  I am going to save the Kumhos for the Peanut.  

WWW   IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 01/21/10 at 23:30:55

For winter tires I have on different vehicles Michelin Arctic Claw (excellent snow and slush tire), Michelin X-Ice (excellent ice, good snow, very stable on pavement) , Kumho KW19 (excellent snow tire - a bit squishy on pavement) and Toyo GO2 (excellent snow tire, firm on pavement).

No tire is good at everything. You have to pick what best suits your needs. I think a good all-round winter tire at a reasonable price is Canadian Tire's Nordic winter tire, but all the tires listed above other than the Michelin X-Ice's were only slightly more than the Nordic - you just have to shop around.

IP Logged
Crazy
YaBB Newbies

Mississauga, On
Reply #12 - 01/22/10 at 13:29:03

thanks alot again for all the help guys.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #13 - 01/22/10 at 15:06:19

rosswood wrote on 01/21/10 at 23:30:55:
For winter tires I have on different vehicles Michelin Arctic Claw (excellent snow and slush tire), Michelin X-Ice (excellent ice, good snow, very stable on pavement) , Kumho KW19 (excellent snow tire - a bit squishy on pavement) and Toyo GO2 (excellent snow tire, firm on pavement).

No tire is good at everything. You have to pick what best suits your needs. I think a good all-round winter tire at a reasonable price is Canadian Tire's Nordic winter tire, but all the tires listed above other than the Michelin X-Ice's were only slightly more than the Nordic - you just have to shop around.

I think the point Ross is making here is a good one. I am (and probably Ross too) looking for a tire that has better traction in snow. That is why I have been looking to replace my X-Ice tires (they are on there last winter). I really like the look of the I-Pikes or the KW-19s.

People who live in more southern areas probably want more of an ice tire.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #14 - 01/22/10 at 20:24:03

Dave Cotie wrote on 01/22/10 at 15:06:19:
I think the point Ross is making here is a good one. I am (and probably Ross too) looking for a tire that has better traction in snow. That is why I have been looking to replace my X-Ice tires (they are on there last winter). I really like the look of the I-Pikes or the KW-19s.

People who live in more southern areas probably want more of an ice tire.

Dave,

We're on our third B5 Passat. I'd call you a fool for running anything other then Yokohama iG-20's. Just think of it as we did the testing!

And they're well priced!

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print