j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Re: New To The Game
Reply #15 - 01/22/10 at 20:28:32

rosswood wrote on 01/21/10 at 23:30:55:
No tire is good at everything. You have to pick what best suits your needs. I think a good all-round winter tire at a reasonable price is Canadian Tire's Nordic winter tire, but all the tires listed above other than the Michelin X-Ice's were only slightly more than the Nordic - you just have to shop around.

Yokohama iG-20!

Ice? Check.
Snow? Check.
Slush? Check.
401 in the summer? Check.
Winter rallycross? Check.
Summer rallycross? Check.

And that was all on one set!

Three winters plus a summer (since the tires were still safe and I did my fair share rallycross and reccee in the car over the summer) on one set of tires.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #16 - 01/22/10 at 22:16:54

j_gardhouse wrote on 01/22/10 at 20:28:32:
No tire is good at everything. You have to pick what best suits your needs. I think a good all-round winter tire at a reasonable price is Canadian Tire's Nordic winter tire, but all the tires listed above other than the Michelin X-Ice's were only slightly more than the Nordic - you just have to shop around.

Yokohama iG-20!

Ice? Check.
Snow? Check.
Slush? Check.

Three winters plus a summer (since the tires were still safe and I did my fair share rallycross and reccee in the car over the summer) on one set of tires.

That is good to know Jamie, because frankly I have not been that impressed with the life I am getting out of the Michelins. This is their 3rd winter and they are DONE. I am not sure that I am even going to get to the end. I may have to swap the all-seasons back on before the end of winter.

I have always taken my snows off before it gets too warm and have not abused them.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #17 - 01/22/10 at 23:07:05

Unfortunately, running snow tires in Toronto means running snows on dry tarmac 50%  Angry of the time (but we're always going up north, so its not an option). We're pretty abusive towards our tires, too.

IP Logged
Crazy
YaBB Newbies

Mississauga, On
Reply #18 - 01/22/10 at 23:34:28

jgardhouse, is this while driving mostly in the GTA on that set of tires? Or is it more of up north kind of weather like lots of snow and gravel? Because if they last long all year round and you do a lot of driving on pavemnt and such, im going to go buy a set of those tires tomorrow.

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #19 - 01/23/10 at 12:11:35

We've been getting about 3 winters, then after the final winter I will just run them all summer - they're not too noisy, handle fine and are still plenty safe to use (some people would use them for another winter). Winter tires are usually on from November to April, everything from dry tarmac in toronto to plowing the snow out with your front bumper in North Bay.

I've driven through the peanut and ran three rallycrosses in a 3xxx pound vw passat on iG-10/20s no flats, no bulges, no problem. I'd call that a torture test.

The ONLY downside to the iG-10/20's is that they use a crap load of release agent when they make them. So, what you NEED to do is when you get the tires first mounted, find a parking lot and do a few burn outs / donuts (if you're FWD). The release agent will wear off in 500k of driving on dry tarmac, but it wont wear off in ice/snow. So go squeak some tires in a parking lot and you're good.

IP Logged
Crazy
YaBB Newbies

Mississauga, On
Reply #20 - 01/23/10 at 12:24:24

Oh man, that's not problem to me. Thanks for the heads up. How much does a set usually cost? and from were?

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #21 - 01/23/10 at 20:05:46

j_gardhouse wrote on 01/22/10 at 20:28:32:

Yokohama iG-20!

Ice? Check.
Snow? Check.
Slush? Check.

Jamie

I've got IG20's on my Forester and Toyo Garit HT's on my wife's Hyundai and frankly I wish it was the other way around. While the IG20's are good the Garit's are better, particularly the lateral contol (i.e. cornering) on ice. The Garit's are basically an H-rated version of the GO2's Ross listed. Better on the highway but not quite as good on the snow. For city/highway/icy road driving the Garit's would be my choice.

Edit: having said that most of the top finishing cars at the January RX were on IG20's.

« Last Edit: 01/25/10 at 06:41:05 by nhibbert »  

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #22 - 01/24/10 at 11:36:26

Money no object, I think I have the best winter option at the moment:  Blizzak WS-60's with cuts.  But these won't last one summer, so they'll be off in early April.  Very squirmy on dry tarmac, but I don't mind that for how they do on snow and ice.  I also won't swap them in for gravel... too soft.  But our summer gravel rallies don't really need specialized tires.

Trevor uses Hankook iPike 409's in winter and mounts them for rallies in the summer because he runs track R-comps (Toyo R-1-R's) as daily driving summer tires.  He's happy with them.  This is the best economical option, I think.

Stephen

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #23 - 01/24/10 at 15:50:59

Slowpoke wrote on 01/24/10 at 11:36:26:
Money no object, I think I have the best winter option at the moment:  Blizzak WS-60's with cuts.  But these won't last one summer, so they'll be off in early April.  Very squirmy on dry tarmac, but I don't mind that for how they do on snow and ice.  I also won't swap them in for gravel... too soft.

I agree 110%.

If I lived in North Bay, I'd probably run WS-60's. With street studs. Living in Toronto, they're just too soft for dry roads and warmer (-5 to 5 deg).

They're also a bit too soft for if you're rallyx'ing on a chewed up winter track and end up with some dirt/gravel with the snow.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print