Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alfa Elite Pro or Timewise 798? (Read 2302 times)
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Alfa Elite Pro or Timewise 798?
02/22/10 at 08:31:25

For those of your that have used both, what are the plus / minus aspects when using them for ORRC rallies?

Stephen

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: Alfa Elite Pro or Timewise 798?
Reply #1 - 02/22/10 at 10:23:53

Never used a timewise...

And I don't see an "Alfa Elite Pro" on the Alfa website....
  • Alfa Elite
  • Alfa Pro

For TSD events, it's the Alfa Elite that you want... driver's display, CAS functionality, etc etc.  

I ran an Alfa Elite and had very few problems with it... and have taught co-drivers how to use it on-the-fly during navigational events.  It can tie into the VSS on most cars, or you can use a sensor and magnets on a driveshaft.

I co-drove for Dean C. at MLWR in 2009, and we mounted my Alfa in his car in about an hour... including the time to run a sensor and make a little bracket to hold the sensor on the tranny and pickup two magnets on the front passenger driveshaft.  Often, the hardest part is figuring out how you'll mount it to the dash!

The downside... not many.  Once you've had some practice, it's easy to adjust time or distances (due to wheel slip, etc), or adjust time+distance (based on current CAS!).  

Make sure you set the time properly... at one rally I drove, we set the clock exactly 1 minute behind... so we were constantly leaving one minute late, arriving one minute late, and annoyed because "some other car keeps driving in our minute".   We nailed several checkpoints perfectly... 1 minute late.

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #2 - 02/22/10 at 20:25:05

Thanks Doug.  A friend of mine has an Alfa Elite that he's trying to sell.  Another friend of mine needs a rally computer.  I just want to be able to advise friend #2 if it's worth shelling out extra for the more informative Timewise display, or if the Alfa works better in practice.

Please keep the opinions coming!

Stephen

IP Logged
Ben
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/23/10 at 10:50:56

I have the Alfa Elite for about 10years and I could tell its a good unit to have also their tech support is great. Event it was expensive when I bought it but it worth every penny!!

Ben

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print