Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head & neck support - options? (Read 6107 times)
Bruce L

Head & neck support - options?
03/06/10 at 18:21:33

I'm getting back into the right seat this year with Alan, and I need a hans device. I'm kinda surprised that there's been no discussion already here (at least, none that I could find).
I'm trying to figure out what the options are. There's the HANS device itself, the Hutchen's, the Defender. Are they all permitted under the CARS regs? I can't tell.
I'd like to hear from anyone that's used the various models - are they comfortable, easy to hook up, do the harness straps slip off, what problems have there been?
I need a new helmet as well. Who installs the posts?
Looking forward to some spirited discussion.
Bruce

The Car Zero Report
An irregular newsletter about Rally in Ontario
http://eepurl.com/LK6AD
  IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Head & neck support - options?
Reply #1 - 03/06/10 at 18:36:39

Bruce, Matt Barnes (Wedge on this forum) knows a lot about the options. Check also Special Stage, I recall there was a discussion in the Canadian forum about it.

CSC installs the posts (posts are about $100), but the new helmet will have them installed.

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #2 - 03/08/10 at 00:51:08

There are several great head and neck restraint products available.  As of right now, only two of them are allowed by CARS.  
CARS only allows FIA approved devices, which is technically only the HANS, but FIA is rewriting their rule so that other devices will finally be able to pass.  This does not mean that other devices are not as safe.  The only reason why HANS is the only device that passes FIA regs, is because the HANS came first, and THEN the FIA wrote the rule around the HANS, describing every detail, and since the HANS design is patented, no other company could ever make a device that passes.
But enough backstory.
Right now, you're choices are the HANS, and the Hutchens Hybrid.
CARS made an exception to allow the Hybrid, even though it doesn't currently have FIA approval, since it's already been decided that it will pass the new FIA regs, which are yet to be released.
My device is a Hutchens Hybrid Pro.  I personally think it's fantastic.  It requires some initial strap and tether adjustments when you first use it.  But once you've got it right, it's awesome.  When fully strapped in the car, it just completely vanishes.  Unlike the standard Hybrid which requires an extra seat pad in order to be comfortable, the Hybrid Pro is so lightweight, and compact that it's completely unnoticeable in the car.  Belt slippage is far less likely than with the HANS.  And even if they do slip off the Hybrid still maintains functionality, unlike the HANS which does nothing without the belts.  It's definitely more work to put on and hook up each time you get in the car.  But it becomes routine very quickly.

Other devices available are: Defnder, R3, Leatt Brace, and more.  Any device that meets SFI spec (only allowed in R-A), has the potential to meet the future FIA spec, but are not allowed at this time.
I highly recommend reading this article by Sportscar Magazine that compares all the available SFI approved devices: http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/storage/HNR.pdf

In my opinion any helmet that is worth buying, will be available with factory installed posts.  It should also include factory intercom.  Really, the only good options are Peltor or Stilo.  When you take into account the cost of adding an intercom to any cheaper helmet, the difference in price is pretty small, and the end result will never be as good as the factory option.  I switched to Peltor last year (previously had a Bell Mag4 + Terraphone), and there's no way I'm ever going back!

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Grant

Milton
Reply #3 - 03/08/10 at 01:04:13

Wedge1 wrote on 03/08/10 at 00:51:08:
In my opinion any helmet that is worth buying, will be available with factory installed posts.  It should also include factory intercom.  Really, the only good options are Peltor or Stilo.  When you take into account the cost of adding an intercom to any cheaper helmet, the difference in price is pretty small, and the end result will never be as good as the factory option.  I switched to Peltor last year (previously had a Bell Mag4 + Terraphone), and there's no way I'm ever going back!

When you buy a helmet like Peltor, you still need to buy the amplifier for the intercom system seperately, right?

And about the HANS device... does anyone know if Shannonville rents them for the April 10th OPRC event?

Live your dreams.
  IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #4 - 03/08/10 at 13:18:52

overthehill wrote on 03/06/10 at 18:36:39:
CSC installs the posts (posts are about $100), but the new helmet will have them installed.

I got my HANS from CSC.  They include the anchors and installation in the purchase price of a HANS device.  If you don't buy a HANS, apparently their current price is $80 for the anchors and $70 for the installation (if you want them to install them for you): http://www.cscracing.com/hansorder.html

Grant wrote on 03/08/10 at 01:04:13:
When you buy a helmet like Peltor, you still need to buy the amplifier for the intercom system seperately, right?

Yes, that's correct.  And it'll have to be the right type of intercom.  Peltor and Terraphone systems aren't compatible with each other... with two exceptions:

- you can buy an adapter that will allow you to plug a Peltor headset into a Terraphone amp (though I've heard that it won't work if you try to use two adapters on the same amp).

- the Terraphone Pro Plus amp is compatible with Peltor headsets (though AFAIK, it's not compatible with normal Terraphone headsets).

Quote:
And about the HANS device... does anyone know if Shannonville rents them for the April 10th OPRC event?

I've never heard of any track renting HANS devices.  CSC used to have a rental program, but they discontinued it a while back.  I don't think there are any rental options out there any more... other than making your own arrangements with someone who has their own HANS device, of course.

WWW   IP Logged
Bruce L

Reply #5 - 03/14/10 at 18:49:45

Thanks for the responses. I guess I knew that new helmets would come with the posts.

Matt, you have a Hybrid that CARS is allowing on the expectation of FIA appoval. On the Safety Solutions site there are a number of Hybrid models, and I'm confused as to which are approved. Is any Hutchen's with Hybrid in the name approved? I see the Hybrid, then the Hybrid Rage for $450 less. Both approved? Where were you able to purchase yours?

The Car Zero Report
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #6 - 03/14/10 at 20:16:19

I got mine from SafeDrives (http://www.safedrives.com).  They're good people to deal with, and they usually offer free shipping or some other kind of deal (eg: http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36349).
They've also got a 'rent-to-own' program, if you want to try one out before spending the full purchase price.

There are a few different model's of Hybrids.  The Hybrid Pro is the one I have, and it's definately allowed right now.  It was with the release of that model that they announced the pending FIA approval.  The standard Hutchens Hybrid is also allowed, of course.

The other two are the Hybrid X and the Hybrid Rage.  
The Hybrid Rage is the equivalent of the HANS Sport.  It's the same as the normal Hybrid but it's plastic instead of carbon fibre.  What I was told is that it's supposed to be FIA approved eventually, but it might not be approved right away, due to every different model having to undergo separate testing.  I do not know if it falls under the CARS exception or not.  I'd suggest getting clarification on that from the CARS rulemakers.
Also not sure about the Hybrid X, but it's typically not recommended for rally anyway, due to very restrictive movement.  It was designed for drag racing.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #7 - 03/14/10 at 22:08:03

YMMV, but I'd suggest against using Safe Drives, from my history with them.

Oh, and I personally have been quite happy with my HANS sport, never had an issue with belts slipping off (either 2" or 3"). Not sure what Alan's car has for belts Bruce, but if he's got HANS specific 2" shoulder belts then you'll need to keep that in mind. I don't think they work with other devices.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #8 - 03/15/10 at 10:08:02

RyanHuber wrote on 03/14/10 at 22:08:03:
YMMV, but I'd suggest against using Safe Drives, from my history with them.

Oh, and I personally have been quite happy with my HANS sport, never had an issue with belts slipping off (either 2" or 3"). Not sure what Alan's car has for belts Bruce, but if he's got HANS specific 2" shoulder belts then you'll need to keep that in mind. I don't think they work with other devices.

I'm also with Ryan on SafeDrives... And I have spent >1500$ there, so I think I can say I'm qualified on this one Smiley

If belts are PROPERLY used, and PROPERLY mounted (Angle from horizontal, crossed over if seat to bar is more then 16 inches etc), 2 and 3 inch belts will NOT slip off. I've run both, on both sides of my car, and no issues.

I've seen drivers with MANY events under their belts not use their kit properly (twisted tethers, belts under the HANS etc)... I usually make it a point to check people's setups when they're in a ATC (if I have time), thats just how I show my love  Kiss.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #9 - 03/15/10 at 15:26:20

I was asked some extra questions by email regarding belts, and thought I'd share my answers here:

Lots of people seem to have really bought into the 2" belt propaganda for HANS devices.  The HANS was designed and engineered for 3" belts, all safety testing is done with 3" belts.  HANS themselves recommend the 3" belts.  The 2" belts were created by the belt manufacturers just so they could charge a premium.  HANS has never recommended the use of 2" belts.  This all applies the same to all Safety Solutions devices and HANS devices.  
Any SFI or FIA approved belt is fine for any of their devices.
The correct way to wear the belts with any of these devices, is the inside edge of the belt is supposed to ride up on the "neck" of the device.  This lets the belt to sit flat over the shoulder area and should just be touching the wing on the outside edge of the device.  That is how it's designed to work with a 3" belt.
Actually, now that I think about it, a 2" belt might reduce the effectiveness of the device, because the friction against the belt is a critical part of how it works in an accident.  That's why all these devices have additional friction material on the belt surface.

Long story short, just get any normal 3" belt, that will work best.

IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #10 - 03/15/10 at 17:18:14

I myself almost bought into this attempt to reach into my pocket for this "premium" belt, accept that was the vendor that insisted that i needed these belts, made numerous references to how Hans tested these belts, he more or less insisted that i was full of ****.So off to to CSC Racing i went.

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
Bruce L

Reply #11 - 03/15/10 at 17:25:04

further to Wedge's remarks about belts.
Quote from the HANS website:

"What type of shoulder belts work best with a HANS Device?
-Any SFI approved shoulder harness system works fine with the HANS Device.
-2" or 3" shoulder belts in nylon or polyester work fine with the HANS Device."

more at www.hansdevice.com under Resources

I'm still up in the air about the HANS or the Hutchen's. Gotta make a choice soon, tho'.

The Car Zero Report
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print