Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
starter car (Read 10754 times)
Razzy
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
starter car
03/12/10 at 21:10:31

Hi guys, I am looking into getting into rally racing. I was wondering what sort of car I should start with. I was told to look at a Golf GTI or something small not to much power, 2-wheel drive. a 98-02 subaru impreza rs also caught my eye. my price range is 5-6grand. any suggestions?

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: starter car
Reply #1 - 03/12/10 at 22:07:09

5-6grand before or after building?  

You're gonna be hard-pressed to buy a car, put a cage in it, and prep it, for $5k.  

Much better off buying someone else's car.

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #2 - 03/13/10 at 01:31:57

$5-6K is tough, but doable.  That's about what I built the Paseo for, if memory serves, it was definately <$6K fully prepped.

Of course, that was 5 years ago, costs are higher now... Cages have more requiremetns, seats must now be FIA approved, more personal safety gear is required...  etc.  But a thrifty compeitor get still get started in the sport on a low budget.  You just need to know the best things to spend money on, and the best things to save money on.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #3 - 03/13/10 at 11:10:54

Rally is not for the financially faint of heart Smiley I looked at it from both  sides building vs prepped(allegedly).Looked around quite a bit before i went the build route, and found "ALL" those cheap ones will cost you plenty just to get them up to spec/ and fully operational,and your still never really sure about motors/ drivetrains in them, and the safety equipment in most cases is  expired or dam near it/that is even if its included in the deal.Now this is where the conversation gets interesting and I'm sure that if something was left out someone will add it.This was "MY" build, no one is the the same.Car(s) 600.00 on Kijiji, first things first "SAFETY AND E-TEST" the car prior to build, this is very important for obvious reasons.( Note: check compression prior to sale)now that aspect is out of the way, inspect every fuel/brake line, tank re/re anything questionable(think Rally think abuse) when inspecting, next up pull the head, get it checked and resurfaced if the leak test comes up good BONUS!!! interference engines love a new timing belt, (nowadays kits include a water pump too..) get rid of all the air conditioning stuff the while the head is out of the way,its also a good time to install that safety switch to shut 'Everything" down (see cars regs) i also took the opportunity to replace the clutch, and motor mounts while the head and all the crap was out of the way, took a long hard look at the rad and went aluminum(Tig vs Brass or plastic the decision was again obvious) At this point budget is at about $2000.00.Now to consider some safety equipment,( i need some rest Smiley.The end result after a lot of research the damage was to the tune of $8766.20 this covered Hans, Helmets, Nomex suits, gloves, shoes, harnesses x2, seats x2, intercom amp, fire extinguishers, plus cage and installation.JRP/CSC were great to work with feel i was treated fairly.So here we are at $10,766.00,Now to consider Suspension & Brakes & Tires, went with K-Sport rally spec GR coilovers, (JRP) $1879.00, K-Sport has completely redesigned their rally spec line(Note: watch the production dates with these coilovers you want a production date after June 2009 there is a "Big" difference between the two in regard to the body size)With brakes i went with cross drilled vented Fronts, cross drilled rears/w Lightning pads,$200.00,while it was all apart i replaced every suspension bushing i could $250.00, boxed all control arms and links. First block of rally tires 15 total $2000.00,(won't be the last) Rally lights x2 pencil, x2 spread H1 130w $280.00 cdn from Australia( ABS housings but cheap plastic rings, i'll modify them to hold up) So in closing i don't think that this is a any more than a must need build at $15,185.00 + over 300+ man hrs.Again Rally is not for the financially faint of heart Smiley

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #4 - 03/13/10 at 15:14:11

And if your looking for a GTI, my fabricator has one its a 1991 no rot and 30k on a rebulid, its on the road now, drives it every day !!! 500.00.located in Newtonville, just east of Oshawa.

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #5 - 03/13/10 at 16:39:42

I failed to leave out another 1500.00 in incidentals, Comp License, first aid course Cheesy

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
Razzy
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #6 - 03/14/10 at 03:57:45

Is that GTI road worthy?  I forgot to mention, I would like to use it on the road as well as a everyday car. is that possible? or do I have to get a 2nd car? an dedicate a car totally for track use only?

also would like some input as to what car I should be looking at? whats the generic *starter* rally car? is it a GTI? a civic? a impreza? a celica? what would I be best off with?

Also too. just an FYI, I have 2 very goo friends who are mechanics and an uncle that rebuilds cars. so labour will be cheap for me (yay!)

IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #7 - 03/14/10 at 11:05:38

Razzy wrote on 03/14/10 at 03:57:45:
Is that GTI road worthy?  I forgot to mention, I would like to use it on the road as well as a everyday car. is that possible? or do I have to get a 2nd car? an dedicate a car totally for track use only?

If you've ever sat in a rally car, you'll quickly find out that its not something that you would want to use as a daily driver. Its more then possible, but as you'd be stripping everything out of the car, it would be very loud, the suspension would be stiff, and jumping through the roll cage would get annoying, not to mention driving around with a roll cage might gets the cops attention.

Plus if you're going into rally races, they are extremely hard on the cars, and if you ditch your rally car around a corner, you're also ditching your daily driver...

As for the generic starter rally car, golfs are pretty popular. There are quite a lot of them, so finding parts usually isn't an issue, and you can pick one up for fairly cheap Cheesy The competition is a little more fair, as if you go into the all wheel drive cars, you can end up against the Subaru Sponsored teams  Tongue

Tim
  IP Logged
Razzy
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #8 - 03/14/10 at 11:37:05

lol well considering what u've just told me. i think ill definatly have to buy a 2nd car.

« Last Edit: 03/14/10 at 22:38:41 by Razzy »  
  IP Logged
Razzy
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #9 - 03/14/10 at 21:22:07

where could I buy a rollcage?

IP Logged
Phil D
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 03/20/10 at 14:20:25

Razzy, Donnie makes some really good points.  I'd advise you to buy a built car (which hasn't been laid up for too long i.e. safety gear is in date) unless you have deep pockets!  Without doubt the only way to really know a car is to build it from scratch.  But if you just want to get started and need to stay within a finite budget, buying is usualy better.  Keep watching MCO and SpecialStage classifieds.  Good luck

IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Reply #11 - 03/20/10 at 14:56:04

As someone going through this process now... we purchased the Lada before the holidays which is essentially turnkey expect that the belts and one seat need to be replaced by may.

We figure we will spend at least $4000 plus car cost to get into our first competition  in may...  this includes the new belts, a new seat, 2 x suites, 2 x helmets, 2 x Hans, first aid course, physicals, race license, and other misc...

This does not even take into account insurance....

Derek.

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #12 - 03/20/10 at 15:55:29

No intent to insult, but unless you intend on buying used 4k is a stretch, with vendors you need to be REAL firm, X2 Hans 1610.25, x2 G78 Peltor 1387.60 w/ post upgrade, x2 Leaf 5 point 550.00, x1 Sabelt racer duo 415.00, x2 Suits, gloves, shoes. 1116.00, C.A.R.S License x2 385.00. Then your first aid courses.These prices are tax in.

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #13 - 03/20/10 at 17:54:48

There is a nice Scirocco starter car in the classifieds section... comes with lots of spares, and an engine swap to tinker with before putting in!  

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Reply #14 - 03/20/10 at 21:49:15

No insult, costs are costs... 4k is a rough estimates and reality is I have not really put taxes in my calcs for what we have not paid for... but I think we will be close... we spent the morning at CSC... and got/priced most of what we need...

Derek.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print