Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
starter car (Read 10743 times)
Razzy
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Re: starter car
Reply #15 - 03/20/10 at 23:30:02

No worries Donnie, im not insulted in any way. im a very easy going guy. I actually really appreciate the constructive criticism. You guys know alot more then I do (obviously lol  Tongue ) I would love all tips, suggestions and comments that you can give me, as I am very interested in the community and I know nothing. I am eager to learn from you guys. I hope to meet you at the races and meetings as soon as I get my life a bit more stable! I will try to volunteer at as many races as I can so I can meet the community and learn from the veterans. Im only 21 but I love to learn and I absolutely love rally racing.

I would like to thank all of you guys who posted on this thread so far for your help and suggestions. I'm going to buy that car off your fabricator donnie very soon. Im in the midst of moving, starting a new job and applying for the army! lol lots going on in my life!

I figure I will use that vw for everyday driving until I can save up some more money to buy a used rally car and parts. or to convert that VW into a rally car.

IP Logged
Grant

Milton
Reply #16 - 03/21/10 at 22:36:39

You may want to take a serious look at Rallycross before you jump into buying/preparing a Stage Rally car. It will give you a chance to speak with more experienced community members and check out their cars to see the differences between a street car and a fully prepared rally car. Its alot more then just throwing in a cage and adding some suspension... as Donnie said, theres so many man hours put into the building and maintanance of these cars its crazy.

I just turned 19 and now have a Production class Lancer, and I'm definately glad I did a year of rallycross before buying a rallycar... you really learn alot, plus it will cost you a small fraction of the cost to run rallycross (ie. $60 to show up and race) instead of hundreds/thousands to run a stage rally event. Plus, you can do minimal prep work to your daily driver, rallycross it, then drive around town feeling like you own a rally machine  Cool

Live your dreams.
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 03/22/10 at 07:39:56

Razzy, you have been receiving excellent advice on this forum. I emphasize and support two of the points in particular - start with a used rally car and do a season of RallyCross.

IP Logged
Robin_Fleguel
YaBB Newbies

Visualize Whirled
Peas

Reply #18 - 03/22/10 at 08:38:37

Donnie wrote on 03/20/10 at 15:55:29:
No intent to insult, but unless you intend on buying used 4k is a stretch, with vendors you need to be REAL firm, X2 Hans 1610.25, x2 G78 Peltor 1387.60 w/ post upgrade, x2 Leaf 5 point 550.00, x1 Sabelt racer duo 415.00, x2 Suits, gloves, shoes. 1116.00, C.A.R.S License x2 385.00. Then your first aid courses.These prices are tax in.

I'm not sure if being real firm with vendors is as important as shopping around a little bit, keeping your ear to the ground among current competitors and paying attention to the rulebook.  To wit:  Hot Bits has brand new *FIA-approved* with expiry after 2015 (as opposed to 2 years for SFI)  6-point cam lock HANS harnesses for $200CAD + taxes including eyebolts and clips.

There is no requirement for shoes or gloves (yet)

Robin

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #19 - 03/22/10 at 09:37:29

You can get G-Force FIA belts for under $175, taxes/shipping included. Either way, much more cost effective then Leaf/SFI belts.

Moral of the story is: SHOP AROUND, and do your shopping WELL BEFORE the event they're needed for!

If you just pick up the phone and call CSC/JRP/LEAF, you WILL waste money.

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Robin_Fleguel
YaBB Newbies

Visualize Whirled
Peas

Reply #20 - 03/22/10 at 11:32:25

j_gardhouse wrote on 03/22/10 at 09:37:29:
You can get G-Force FIA belts for under $175, taxes/shipping included. Either way, much more cost effective then Leaf/SFI belts.

Cheapest price I can find for GForce are for their 5 point FIA, with no eyebolts or clips:

belts $US149.99
clips $4x4 = $16
eyebolts $4x4 = $16

Today's actual bank or VISA rate on exchange (not what you read in the newspaper) = 1.04

Duty (GForce not made in N.America) = 1.061

Shipping = free... maybe

Taxes 1.13

Brokerage fee (let's say you risk getting stuff stolen from Canada Post and we'll do the cheapest = $5)

That's 185 x 1.04 x 1.061 x 1.13 + $5

Total CDN = $235

$175 shipped and taxed??

IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #21 - 03/22/10 at 12:03:48

LEAF LF-75052BK 5 Point x2 $510.00 Installed, And furthermore i was told by whoever was representing RSO at Canadian Motorsport Expo that nomex shoes and gloves we're in for 2010!!!! This was prior to to the release of the 2010 regs.

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #22 - 03/22/10 at 13:00:00

Good point. Price I paid (within the past year) did not include eyelets or snaps (both of which I had, so it worked out), but price inclusive of taxes still holds. $200 for FIA belts with snaps and eyelets is certainly not a price to sniffle at.

Visiting HotBits in Brampton however, is much nicer then dealing with Canadapost/USPS/Customs, especially when they (customs) screw up! (and they will!)

Either way, buy FIA.

IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #23 - 03/22/10 at 15:58:40

I will agree with a couple of points on here. As someone who would love to build or buy a stage rally car I very quickly noticed that it is going to cost alot of money. It is not even the cost of the car and prep work etc. that has to be thought about but the running cost of that car. If you are racing a awd car for example the cost to maintain the car is going to be more than if you are using a 2wd car. Not to mention the cost of the race itself entry fees room food gas etc.etc.etc.etc. I personally started to run rallycross last year and quickly realized that in no way was I ready to get behind the wheel of a stage rally car and race, well atleast not be competitive. I have enjoyed the last season and a half in rallycross and it has taught me alot about prep, driving, repairing etc. I can understand wanting to jump right into stage rally however you can buy whatever car you want to drive every day to and from work school or whatever and then take it to a rallycross on the weekend talk hang out and learn without it costing you big $$$$. Just my 2 cents.

We will let you come play. But we wont let you win.
  IP Logged
martin
YaBB Newbies

Reply #24 - 03/26/10 at 14:58:34

Robin_Fleguel wrote on 03/22/10 at 08:38:37:
Donnie wrote on 03/20/10 at 15:55:29:
No intent to insult, but unless you intend on buying used 4k is a stretch, with vendors you need to be REAL firm, X2 Hans 1610.25, x2 G78 Peltor 1387.60 w/ post upgrade, x2 Leaf 5 point 550.00, x1 Sabelt racer duo 415.00, x2 Suits, gloves, shoes. 1116.00, C.A.R.S License x2 385.00. Then your first aid courses.These prices are tax in.

I'm not sure if being real firm with vendors is as important as shopping around a little bit, keeping your ear to the ground among current competitors and paying attention to the rulebook.  To wit:  Hot Bits has brand new *FIA-approved* with expiry after 2015 (as opposed to 2 years for SFI)  6-point cam lock HANS harnesses for $200CAD + taxes including eyebolts and clips.

There is no requirement for shoes or gloves (yet)

Robin

Robin,  do you have a link to these belts that Hotbits has?  I searched and couldn't find anything.  I need new belts before LHFR.

Thanks...Martin.

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #25 - 03/26/10 at 16:23:42

Martin - here is another of Robin's posts with more details and contact info:

Quote:
Shipment of brand new Beltenick FIA-approved 6pt camlock HANS belts just arrived.  Expiry after 2015.  

Available in black with 2" HANS shoulder straps with aluminum spring-loaded adjusters & wrap-around mounting (i.e. harness bar).  Clips & eyebolts included for lap & anti-sub belts.

$200CAD + tax - call Peter @ Hot Bits in Brampton:  905-458-1318

IP Logged
Robin_Fleguel
YaBB Newbies

Visualize Whirled
Peas

Reply #26 - 03/29/10 at 20:00:16

Quote:
Robin,  do you have a link to these belts that Hotbits has?  I searched and couldn't find anything.  I need new belts before LHFR.

Thanks...Martin.

Hi Martin,
Peter will be bringing some to Shannonville and to Lanark for sale/looksie.  You can also check with Tonik - they'll be dealing them and I think Warren has a couple sets now.
Robin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print