HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Event Trophies (Read 12454 times)
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: Event Trophies
Reply #15 - 03/26/10 at 09:18:46

I must admit... a nice action-shot of the car in a frame with a little plaque would be nice.  Great way to look back 20 years later... show your kids the car you drove/co-drove in.  

...And a nice bottle of honey.   Roll Eyes  Did I mention I'm a beekeeper?  

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #16 - 03/26/10 at 12:35:51

When you guys talk about framed photos, hopefully you wouldn't be expecting them at the event, would you? That's a lot of work for someone to post process and print and frame etc in time for the banquet! After the event mailed out I could see, and I bet it'd be pretty easy to get a photographer or two on board. Something to think about I suppose.

Ryan

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #17 - 03/26/10 at 14:37:32

RyanHuber wrote on 03/26/10 at 12:35:51:
When you guys talk about framed photos, hopefully you wouldn't be expecting them at the event, would you? That's a lot of work for someone to post process and print and frame etc in time for the banquet! After the event mailed out I could see, and I bet it'd be pretty easy to get a photographer or two on board. Something to think about I suppose.

Ryan

We live in an age where people expect instant gratification... so ya, I want my photo NOW!  

Obviously, the photos would have to be sent out after the fact.  Perhaps at the rally, a frame with printed award certificate is handed out, the photo is sent out afterwards.  Leave it upto the competitor to swap certificate for photo.

IP Logged
martin
YaBB Newbies

Reply #18 - 03/26/10 at 14:55:47

The first few trophies are prized posessions... after a while they start collecting dust in boxs in the basement.  The promotor at the local speedway started giving out certificates one year, they weren't very well received.. I never put one on a wall anywhere.

Hi-res framed action photo is a much better idea (not too big) for all the reasons already discussed...

LHFR maple syrup was tasty Smiley

-Martin Walter

IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 03/26/10 at 16:28:25

Many moons ago Martin Loveridge on Voyageur Rally out of Mattawa handed out awards with Photos.

He had a Guy take photos first stage then take ROLLS of film on his motorcycle to North Bay for one hour processing.
This was prior to digital and closest for one hour was NB

Once Results processed photos got mounted.

Remember as some people receive several awards you need enough copies for all needs.

Few years ago for GCFR I asked one of the Media Guys how we could do digital. I was thinking of high grade printer at event. Results posted print pictures.

Two problems very little time to print once results finalised [yes you can make some good guesses earlier in day]

Other problem is digital should not be placed behind glass for at least three day to allow ink to dry.

Thats when I canned that thought

Thanks for all your various input does give me something to think about

Pete g

Pete G
  IP Logged
Doug_Woods
YaBB Newbies

Quebec
Reply #20 - 03/26/10 at 17:56:11

Pete:

Something unique will mean a lot in 20 years.  Two of my favourite rally keepsakes are a handmade drinking cup from the Scottish Rally and a reindeer bell from the 1000 Lakes Rally in Finland.

I had a roomful of standard trophies but eventually just threw them out with the garbage.

The worst trophy I ever had was from winning the Rallye Feuille d'Erable (a CRC event out of Quebec City).  The trophy was bigger than me!  Walter and I tried to convince the organizers that they should retain the trophy for safe keeping but they were so proud of it that they insisted we take it home.  That was still in the day when we drove our rally car to and from the event.  The trophy would not fit into the car!  We had to remove one of the rear hinged windows on the Corolla and drive home with about 3 feet of the trophy sticking out of the window and collecting bug guts.

Doug Woods

IP Logged
DaveP

Reply #21 - 03/26/10 at 20:09:56

gully wrote on 03/26/10 at 16:28:25:
Many moons ago Martin Loveridge on Voyageur Rally out of Mattawa handed out awards with Photos.

He had a Guy take photos first stage then take ROLLS of film on his motorcycle to North Bay for one hour processing.
This was prior to digital and closest for one hour was NB

Once Results processed photos got mounted.

Pete g

A number or years ago, (too many!) the Tall Pines took photos of entrants on the start ramp in Bancroft(?), (or maybe as far back as the Peterborough days at the liftlock,) and essentially did the same thing. I remember someone having to chase around to find a 1hr Photo, and have all of the photos printed. After results were finalized, we frantically slipped photos of the award winners behind a plexiglass plate mounted on studs to a wood backing, while everyone was eating at the banquet. I vaguely remember Fred Baker coordinating this effort. I assume he was Chief Scorer

IP Logged
DaveP

Reply #22 - 03/26/10 at 20:14:23

M

Other problem is digital should not be placed behind glass for at least three day to allow ink to dry.

Pete g

I'm not sure that is still valid Peter. Perhaps with Inkjets, but you can buy inexpensive colour lasers for well under $1000 these days. You might want to put out a call, and see if any rally community member has one?

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #23 - 03/26/10 at 23:05:21

DaveP wrote on 03/26/10 at 20:14:23:
M

Pete g

I'm not sure that is still valid Peter. Perhaps with Inkjets, but you can buy inexpensive colour lasers for well under $1000 these days. You might want to put out a call, and see if any rally community member has one?

For the moment anyway, 1 hour labs are still relatively common and can print 8x10 photos from digital files on *real* photo paper (by real I mean done on traditional, light sensitive paper - the standard c-type print).  It's cheaper then owning your own printer and you know what you're getting in terms of quality.  I needed to have some done last week and had to resort to a local drug store - paid 3$/print - took 20 minutes.

WWW   IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #24 - 03/26/10 at 23:10:45

DaveP wrote on 03/26/10 at 20:14:23:
M

Pete g

The drying time for inkjet prints still holds, but nowadays I usually hear 24 hours, which is still restrictive for our framing purposes.

The last time I saw colour laser prints, they were ok but not what I would call photo quality, but time passes me by all the time, so to speak, and they may be a lot better now.

Portable dye sub printers might do the trick but I don't think I have ever seen one that prints larger than 4x6, but then I don't keep up with the products.

One difficulty with photos is how good an action picture do you want? If start line shots are all you need, it's easier to coordinate that than to try to determine the best action taken during that event. Do you have more than one photographer at different places? How do you get action pics back to HQ in time? If you want action shots, it almost certainly means sending them later, but that could be problematic if the team that gets the award happens not to have had any good pics taken of them.  Smiley

This is such a tough call. General rule is that you'd like people to walk away with something. But good stuff is never cheap, so it has real budget implications.

The marketing VP's answer is to get a sponsor to pay for the trophies. Smiley

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #25 - 03/27/10 at 16:25:19

Coming from the tarmac side, we never got anything (in MOST recent years - not all) at an Autoslalom or SoloSprint.  So I always thought it was kind of neat that the organziers went out of their way to make sure that winners got something at every ORRC event.  Then, when you have 8 plaques, you start wondering what you're going to do with them.  You HAVE to put them on a wall because there's no way to store them efficiently on the shelf you started stacking them on, because they're all different sizes.  

I think that KWRC's current budget per SNATR trophy is $2.  A nifty dollar store item like a sun catcher, a key rack, a tea light, etc. and an engraved nameplate from the event glued onto it.  Reasonable budget, and my wife actually has two motorsports tophies from the two SNATR's that she ran!  (One knowingly, one unknowingly.  But that's another story.)

But look at OPRC.  Name me a team that spends less than $2500 on average getting to, then doing the Tall Pines, then fixing what they broke, and that will be a rare team indeed.  So to those teams, it's kind of hard to fathom how the organizers can't come up with a $25 trophy for a class win, I suppose.

But I like the thinking going on in this thread.  How do you make it more meaningful?  I think the action photo is the best way.  Supports rally photographers, ensures that the event has good action photos for the media, and the competitors have something they really can treasure.

Oh, and RSO, we were quite happy to collect this hardware at the AGM.  Thanks!

Stephen

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print