Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Opinions wanted???? (Read 1903 times)
Donnie

Opinions wanted????
03/28/10 at 09:06:06

I've been pitching Tom Hnatiw for about a year now to come out to some events, and consider doing a show or two with regard to what we do best on his show "HARD DRIVE".
Here are some copies of some correspondence with him.I've worked with him in the past and he's alot of fun to work with.
Your ideas are welcome...

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 07:37:22 -0400
Subject: Show ideas..
To: feedback@harddrivewithtom.com

One word Tom "Rally",  Real Roads, Real Cars, Real Fast !!!!!!! There's some advertising space still left on our car, it would be our pleasure to work with you/yours again !!, lots of races here in Ontario. Have a look At the RSO calendar, http://www.rallysport.on.ca/  Remember, "Oversteer is when your ass hits the tree, understeer is when your face hits the tree, horsepower is how fast you hit the tree, torque is how much of the tree you take with you". Smiley

Yes i did plagiarize, but it was for the greater good Smiley

To: sierra_1@sympatico.ca
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 9:03 AM
Subject: RE: Show ideas..

Donald,

While I appreciate your offer to advertise on your rally car and reach literally dozens of people, I would rather engage in an discussion where we could film a rally stage or two with you and create some engaging television content for Hard Drive.

In such an agreement, neither of us would write a cheque, but we would strive to do each other some good.

Good for me is a compelling three minutes of content. I would boldly suggest that the reciprical "good for you" is getting you and your sponsors in front ot twenty million potential viewers.

I am delighted at the prospect of discussing this with you. We have worked with Tom and Trish, the VIR Rally School and several others including the Sprongls.

But what is new?

I think that a new and fresh perspective on the sport and how it  may.... help the average road runner be a safer and better driver is worth exploring. More  important

I would be delighted to hear from you regarding your thoughts

To: latebraker99@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Show ideas..
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:42:35 -0400

First of all Tom I'd like to thank you for getting back to me. I understand that your very busy and now that the warmer weather is on its way the pace you work at, will probably increase ten fold.

With regard to "What is new" in rally is the fact of how little people know about it.They assume that you need to spend fifty to a hundred thousand dollars on a performance rally car, when indeed there are other forms of rally that actually improve driving/co- driving skill and confidence both winter and summer. Time Speed Distance (TSD's) rallies are a great introduction to Rally and relatively inexpensive. These focus on teamwork,navigational skills, above all road safety.Great experience for the everyday driver looking for something different and a great learning/introduction tool for anyone interested in Targa/Performance Rally racing(Tracy and myself are currently involved in a Rally school put on by Rally Sport Ontario) and above all its been a lot of fun, and the experience we've gained will be of great use to us in our endeavors.

Rallycross is and has been the most enjoyable and informative "Novice" experience thus far and was my formal introduction to Rally. With no car prep,other than the safety equipment standard in a street car, and a helmet, a person can go out and be competitive,and attained driving skills to utilize for both summer and winter driving for a minimal investment. Again the key word is "FUN" here and the conveners of these events always put safety first. The camaraderie at these events is second to none.

The numerous car clubs in Ontario that are involved in Rally, and the wealth of knowledge they are most willing to share with people interested in the sport of Rally, as well as the curious, is a testimonial of the "camaraderie" and "Fun" that this sport has to offer! (Our Club, Maple leaf Rally Club is the oldest and largest active club in Canada)

Honestly Tom, having what I considered to be 20 years of experience/knowledge with custom car/bike, building/racing, and considering myself a car lover and a "car guy" I realize today that I have but scratched the surface, Tracy and myself and many others have worked very hard and assisted us to fulfill this dream and our goals. I think the best 'Good for you / Good for me" scenario would be to share some experiences, and to come up with some content that your viewers would surely enjoy, something that we "all" could be proud of from design to finish, and if you don't mind me saying, I think Paul would be proud that we hooked up and did something cool!!

Again Tom. Thank-You for your time and interest.

Donny Morton & Tracy Puusa

Donny,

I am at the St Pete's Grand Prix making a television show for Versus on the World Challenge Championship...it's nearly one in the morning and I've just read your email.

I love your idea about TSD and Rallycross. Now we're talking....this is compelling TV. I've done both and while TSD is still beyond my ken...I DO get Rallycross...and I have often thought it would be a good way for me to stay involved in motorsport as the old fart I seem to have become.

So.

Why don't we explore the idea of shooting a couple of segments on TSD and Rallycross together?

I've cc'd my producer and editor so that we can keep the pair of them in the loop as we discuss this.

Over the next two months...let's say....is there an opportunity or a scenario with which we can shoot these segments taking advantage of some already scheduled events?

Or would it be better to "simulate" events utoilizing our test track at Toronto Motorsports Park at Cayuga?

Would we shoot you and Tracy in your car? Would we get hold of an Evo and use that as our subject vehicle? A Porsche C4S? An STi? Or a combination of both?

Or would we be better off using you and Tracy as subject matter experts (long form interviews over b-roll of spectacular footage that already may exist from in car cameras from MLRC members.....or some combinational "soup" of all of the above.

If you have the time, let me know what you think by way of email.

or.

Call me late in the coming week .I DO mean late in the week owing to the fact we're in a killer edit for at least the first three days of the week. So that means Thursday of Friday, if you can manage it.

This has the traction to be a couple of really compelling segments, Guys.

Let's make it happen.

Tom Hnatiw
Internal Combustion Group

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Opinions wanted????
Reply #1 - 03/28/10 at 16:11:33

Don,

You could also bring them to a rally testing day - I should be announcing the next one soon.

IP Logged
Donnie

Re: Opinions wanted????
Reply #2 - 03/28/10 at 16:25:17

Yes Ross, Tom and myself talked of taking advantage of some already scheduled events, i will keep an eye out for anything you may post regarding "Testing days".If a crew could be put together in time for Shannonville we'll be there, and furthermore this may stimulate an event at TMP, which in turn would advantageous for all.

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print